    internet browsers from 64 bit to 32 bit to do certain things. Seems to be a
    little bit more stable but other than that what are the advantages?

    What does 64 bit actually do?
    T5, Oct 24, 2006

  2. Haven't heard anything about this yet. You might want to try the 64Bit newsgroup.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Ronnie Vernon MVP, Oct 24, 2006

  3. It does many things, but the most obvious one is increase the available
    virtual memory address space. For 32-bit applications, many will run at the
    same speed as in 32-bit windows. Some will actually run faster, since
    they'll have additional access to memory, along with a better I/O subsystem.
    Some 32-bit applications won't run at all until they have re-written drivers
    or other limiting factors.

    64-bit applications are still few and far between, but more are coming. One
    area that will see large gains moving forward is the whole area of digital
    media.

    And, as for stability - in XP x64, many of us have found the OS to be
    somewhat more stable. And in Vista x64, I expect that to be even more true,
    as we move to only supporting signed drivers in Vista x64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 24, 2006
  4. T5

    Admiral Q Guest

    "T5" <> wrote in message
    >I have installed xp pro x 64 but am wondering what is different to xp pro x
    > 86. I cannot seem to find many differences, annoying having to switch
    > internet browsers from 64 bit to 32 bit to do certain things. Seems to be
    > little bit more stable but other than that what are the advantages?
    >
    > What does 64 bit actually do?

    This is the 64bit Newsgroup.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

    Google is your Friend!
    http://www.google.com
    Admiral Q, Oct 25, 2006
  5. T5 wrote:
    > I have installed xp pro x 64 but am wondering what is different to xp pro x
    > 86. I cannot seem to find many differences, annoying having to switch
    > internet browsers from 64 bit to 32 bit to do certain things. Seems to be a
    > little bit more stable but other than that what are the advantages?
    >
    > What does 64 bit actually do?

    Provides better performance for 64-bit applications.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Oct 25, 2006
  6. Why do you insist on installing things first and then checking to see if you
    need them later? You do this constantly and then expect the rest of us to
    validate your experiments for you. Do some research before you jump into
    stuff. Charlie Russel went to the trouble of writing several great white
    papers for just this reason. He will also conduct a live meeting later this
    week covering all of this 64bit stuff. The link for the webcast is in his
    post on this ng a few days ago.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 25, 2006
  7. T5

    T5 Guest

    Colin, you are wrong my freind, I do not install things first and then come
    whinging to the newsgroup. I read a lot of posts and I read a lot of
    articles. But it is like this, some like it and some do not and some are
    unconvinced, I fall into the unconvinced category. Please remember that not
    all of us who post to the newsgroups are MVP's or high flying programmers or
    even computer technicians but lowly amateurs who like to have a minimal
    grasp of what they are letting themselves in for.

    We, unlike your good self do not have the time to research things to the
    degree that you do, because we have our jobs to do. But unless we show some
    interest in the emerging technology how the heck would we know what software
    works with what hardware, and please don't say, "ask your local PC World
    Technician"

    I spend a great deal of my time (spare) fixing peoples PC problems (without
    reward I might say) and the only way I feel confident to do that is through
    the help I have received from the newsgroups. I don't find it helpful when
    people lambast me for wanting to know something,

    Why do you insist on installing things first and then checking to see if you
    > need them later? You do this constantly and then expect the rest of us to
    > validate your experiments for you.

    Do you suggest I say I need it now and then install it? >>>>>> I think thats
    why MS have given us a trial at their software to let us be the judges
    rather than giving us no choice.

    T5, Oct 25, 2006