    I thought I had the proper settings for Sylpheed to DL G-Mail but it never does, I have to use Opera to DL from my G-Mail account.

    --
    GrailKing <>

    GrailKing, Aug 11, 2007

  2. GrailKing

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-11, GrailKing <> wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I thought I had the proper settings for Sylpheed to DL G-Mail but it
    > never does, I have to use Opera to DL from my G-Mail account.

    Do Google's instructions at

    Help Center

    Google Help > Gmail Help > POP Access

    Configuring other mail clients

    <http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287> not help?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 12, 2007

  3. GrailKing

    GrailKing Guest

    On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:49:13 +0100
    Whiskers <> wrote:

    > On 2007-08-11, GrailKing <> wrote:
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > I thought I had the proper settings for Sylpheed to DL G-Mail but it
    > > never does, I have to use Opera to DL from my G-Mail account.

    > Do Google's instructions at
    >
    > Help Center
    >
    > Google Help > Gmail Help > POP Access
    >
    > Configuring other mail clients
    >
    > <http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287> not help?
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    I did what they say, but dosn't work, as I said previously works for Opera, not Sylpheed.
    --
    GrailKing <>

    GrailKing, Aug 13, 2007
  4. GrailKing

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-13, GrailKing <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:49:13 +0100
    > Whiskers <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-08-11, GrailKing <> wrote:
    >> > Hello All,
    >> >
    >> > I thought I had the proper settings for Sylpheed to DL G-Mail but it
    >> > never does, I have to use Opera to DL from my G-Mail account.

    >> Do Google's instructions at
    >>
    >> Help Center
    >>
    >> Google Help > Gmail Help > POP Access
    >>
    >> Configuring other mail clients
    >>
    >> <http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287> not help?

    > I did what they say, but dosn't work, as I said previously works for
    > Opera, not Sylpheed.

    Opera is a web-browser. Are you using it as a web browser to go to the
    Gmail 'webmail' web site, or are you using Opera's email tool to fetch
    your Gmail messages using the POP protocol? If the latter, then whatever
    email settings you used in Opera should work in Sylpheed or any other
    email program.

    Sylpheed is not a web browser so it can't do anything with webmail sites.

    I don't use Gmail, but it looks from the Google help page I mentioned
    before, as though you have to make some settings in your Gmail account
    (using the web site to make the settings) if you want to use a real email
    program to POP your Gmail messages. Have you saved those settings?

    Webmail and email are not the same thing. Gmail is by default a webmail
    system, which you use with a web browser; you need to enable POP access to
    use it as a normal email service in conjunction with a normal email
    program.

    If you use the same POP settings in Opera and Sylpheed but Sylpheed still
    doesn't work, then contact Google.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 13, 2007
  5. GrailKing

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    GrailKing <> wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I thought I had the proper settings for Sylpheed to DL G-Mail but it never
    > does, I have to use Opera to DL from my G-Mail account.

    What settings were you thinking of? Tell us the server names you were
    going to use.

    Do you understand the difference between a Web browser and an e-mail
    program?

    Google does not offer free e-mail; they offer Web-mail. If you want to
    use it like e-mail, you have to pay them. Did you?

    Mitch, Aug 13, 2007
  6. Mitch wrote:

    > GrailKing <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello All,
    >>
    >> I thought I had the proper settings for Sylpheed to DL G-Mail but it
    >> never does, I have to use Opera to DL from my G-Mail account.

    > What settings were you thinking of? Tell us the server names you were
    > going to use.
    >
    > Do you understand the difference between a Web browser and an e-mail
    > program?
    >
    > Google does not offer free e-mail; they offer Web-mail. If you want
    > to use it like e-mail, you have to pay them. Did you?

    Point of order: "e-mail" is a method of transporting messages. There
    are multiple ways to handle it. One is a "Web-mail" (browser-based)
    interface (page). Another is via an email client (a program on your
    computer).

    That said, I access the Gmail addresses I have via *both* the Google
    webmail pages, and with the email client Thunderbird (on my computer). I
    have never given Google a dime for those email addresses.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 13, 2007
  7. GrailKing

    Mitch Guest

    In article
    <r74wi.425691$>,
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:

    > > Google does not offer free e-mail; they offer Web-mail. If you want
    > > to use it like e-mail, you have to pay them. Did you?

    > Point of order: "e-mail" is a method of transporting messages. There
    > are multiple ways to handle it. One is a "Web-mail" (browser-based)
    > interface (page). Another is via an email client (a program on your
    > computer).

    I think you're applying a colloquial meaning to it, and I was talking
    about the internet subsystem. E-mail is a specific thing separate from
    Web, from Gopher, from FTP, from chat systems -- any of which can also
    be used for messaging, but all of which use different systems and
    protocols.
    It's an important distinction when you're trying to explain to someone
    why Gmail doesn't do what their ISP e-mail account does.

    > That said, I access the Gmail addresses I have via *both* the Google
    > webmail pages, and with the email client Thunderbird (on my computer). I
    > have never given Google a dime for those email addresses.

    You have free POP server access? Could you get that today? Is it
    common? Do we assume most people get that consideration?

    I have never used GMail -- I see no reason for most people to use it.
    But my understanding is that the POP server access is not free.
    Am I wrong?

    Mitch, Aug 13, 2007

    [Mitch wrote:]
    >>> Google does not offer free e-mail; they offer Web-mail. If you want
    >>> to use it like e-mail, you have to pay them. Did you?

    >> Point of order: "e-mail" is a method of transporting messages.
    >> There are multiple ways to handle it. One is a "Web-mail"
    >> (browser-based) interface (page). Another is via an email client (a
    >> program on your computer).

    > I think you're applying a colloquial meaning to it, and I was talking
    > about the internet subsystem.

    The "internet" is the whole ball of wax. These next parts you mention
    are the subsystems.

    > E-mail is a specific thing separate from Web, from Gopher, from FTP,
    > from chat systems

    Of course. But email via a web interface, or email via a program like
    Thunderbird or Outlook Express is still email.

    For my main and personal email addresses, I use a regular ISP. I can
    access that mail on my home computers using, say, Thunderbird, and when
    I am away from the house, I access it via my company's webmail interface
    from any internet-connected computer on the planet. But it is the same
    email.

    > -- any of which can also be used for messaging, but all of which use
    > different systems and protocols.

    I never sent a 'message' to someone using FTP or gopher, though. Or Web.
    But let's just drop that as we'll get into a war of semantics.

    > It's an important distinction when you're trying to explain to someone
    > why Gmail doesn't do what their ISP e-mail account does.
    >
    >> That said, I access the Gmail addresses I have via *both* the Google
    >> webmail pages, and with the email client Thunderbird (on my computer). I
    >> have never given Google a dime for those email addresses.

    > You have free POP server access? Could you get that today? Is it
    > common? Do we assume most people get that consideration?

    Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

    See: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1555

    > I have never used GMail

    ...yet you post that it isn't free. ?

    > -- I see no reason for most people to use it.

    I use a few Gmail addresses as throwaways. It all depends on the needs
    of the individual. I personally would never use Gmail (or hotmail or
    yahooo) as my main presonal account.

    > But my understanding is that the POP server access is not free.
    > Am I wrong?

    Yes, you are.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 14, 2007
  9. GrailKing

    Mitch Guest

    In article <vo6wi.34434$>,
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:

    > > I think you're applying a colloquial meaning to it, and I was talking
    > > about the internet subsystem.

    > The "internet" is the whole ball of wax. These next parts you mention
    > are the subsystems.

    That is what I wrote; e-mail is a subsystem of protocols and servers.

    > > E-mail is a specific thing separate from Web, from Gopher, from FTP,
    > > from chat systems

    > Of course. But email via a web interface, or email via a program like
    > Thunderbird or Outlook Express is still email.

    Colloquially, sure. But as far as solving the specific problem asked,
    it's nearly opposite. It relies on the difference between using a
    browser to access what is on a Web site, and using a mail client to
    access POP and SMTP servers.

    > For my main and personal email addresses, I use a regular ISP. I can
    > access that mail on my home computers using, say, Thunderbird, and when
    > I am away from the house, I access it via my company's webmail interface
    > from any internet-connected computer on the planet. But it is the same
    > email.

    Sure; but because of something the ISP did (creating a Web page that
    accessed their own POP servers). Not because e-mail is the same as Web
    content.
    You're right, though -- this is all just about semantic use of the term.

    > > You have free POP server access? Could you get that today? Is it
    > > common? Do we assume most people get that consideration?

    > Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
    > See: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1555
    > > I have never used GMail

    > ..yet you post that it isn't free. ?

    I confess, I allowed myself to be swayed by what people had told me,
    rather than checking on my own. My error.

    Mitch, Aug 14, 2007
  10. GrailKing

    GrailKing Guest

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:29:38 +0100
    Whiskers <> wrote:

    > On 2007-08-13, GrailKing <> wrote:
    > > On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:49:13 +0100
    > > Whiskers <> wrote:

    > >> Do Google's instructions at
    > >>
    > >> Help Center
    > >>
    > >> Google Help > Gmail Help > POP Access
    > >>
    > >> Configuring other mail clients
    > >>
    > >> <http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287> not help?

    > > I did what they say, but dosn't work, as I said previously works for
    > > Opera, not Sylpheed.

    > Opera is a web-browser. Are you using it as a web browser to go to the
    > Gmail 'webmail' web site, or are you using Opera's email tool to fetch
    > your Gmail messages using the POP protocol? If the latter, then whatever
    > email settings you used in Opera should work in Sylpheed or any other
    > email program.
    >
    > Sylpheed is not a web browser so it can't do anything with webmail sites.
    >
    > I don't use Gmail, but it looks from the Google help page I mentioned
    > before, as though you have to make some settings in your Gmail account
    > (using the web site to make the settings) if you want to use a real email
    > program to POP your Gmail messages. Have you saved those settings?
    >
    > Webmail and email are not the same thing. Gmail is by default a webmail
    > system, which you use with a web browser; you need to enable POP access to
    > use it as a normal email service in conjunction with a normal email
    > program.
    >
    > If you use the same POP settings in Opera and Sylpheed but Sylpheed still
    > doesn't work, then contact Google.
    >
    > --
    > -- Whiskers

    I use Opera's mail client, not the web based mail, I used the same settings but not working in Sylpheed, will investigate further.

    --
    GrailKing <>

    GrailKing, Aug 15, 2007