    In NT days, WINS and DNS coexisted. I wonder why XP or
    Server 2003 don't need WINS any more. What specific service
    does what WINS does in NT?
    dialedup, May 12, 2006

  2. WINS serves to resolve Netbios names and is still out there because many
    legacy network aware applications need it. Without WINS your network would
    be flooded with netbios boradcasts for name resolution.

    So WINS is to NETBIOS NAME
    as DNS is to HOSTNAME

    --
    ..rev.mct.mcngp.44

    accepting it.
    ~Aristotle
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], May 12, 2006

  3. The Rev [MCT] wrote:
    > WINS serves to resolve Netbios names and is still out there because many
    > legacy network aware applications need it. Without WINS your network would
    > be flooded with netbios boradcasts for name resolution.
    >
    > So WINS is to NETBIOS NAME
    > as DNS is to HOSTNAME

    True. IMO it's evil and whenever I design something I try to avoid
    including wins. But, there;s still legacy shit around that needs it.

    Jeroen
    http://wijnands.blogspot.com
    Jeroen Wijnands, May 12, 2006
  4. dialedup

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "The Rev [MCT]" <> say in

    > So WINS is to NETBIOS NAME
    > as DNS is to HOSTNAME

    well, I would disagree a little on that (WINS also provides information
    on the services it provides such as the Alerter Service, Domain
    controller functionaluty, etc. automatically) but close enough...

    (Also the name resolution process to get to each is different hostname vs
    NETBios - CWBLHD vs LHDWBL)

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - What do you mean you formatted the cat?
    Neil, May 12, 2006
  5. And DNS can provied Service locator information for LDAP. Kerberose, etc I
    was trying to give a simple answer mr. smarty pants

    --
    ..rev.mct.mcngp.44

    accepting it.
    ~Aristotle
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], May 12, 2006
  6. dialedup

    > And DNS can provied Service locator information for LDAP. Kerberose,
    > etc I was trying to give a simple answer mr. smarty pants

    no need to get your knickers in a knot. I am not pushing WINS to make a
    come-back or nothin.

    ....and I'm wearing my jeans today....I save the Smarty Pants for special
    occasions

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - Jesus saves, passes to Moses; he shoots, HE SCORES!
    Neil, May 12, 2006
  7. I used to have smart pants....but they were dry cleaned one day never to
    return, they lost my smart pants.

    --
    ..rev.mct.mcngp.44

    accepting it.
    ~Aristotle
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], May 12, 2006
  8. dialedup

    Neil Guest

    Neil, May 12, 2006
  9. << While I was at work, Neil spurted out:

    > all you have to do now is put them in your pants...
    >
    > (SFW)

    I hope you're referring to the candies.

    --
    Bigus Di©kus
    MCNGP #00110011
    Bigus Di©kus, May 12, 2006
  10. dialedup

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Bigus Di©kus" <WTF@127.0.0.1> say in news:#muoH0ddGHA.1272
    @TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

    > I hope you're referring to the candies.

    pervert

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - ALT-H gives you SysOp access!
    Neil, May 12, 2006
  11. << While I was at work, Neil spurted out:
    > did you hear "Bigus Di©kus" <WTF@127.0.0.1> say in
    > news:#muoH0ddGHA.1272 @TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:
    >
    >> I hope you're referring to the candies.

    > pervert

    lol...hey, I wasn't the one talking about putting them in my pocket.

    Bigus Di©kus, May 12, 2006
  12. dialedup

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Bigus Di©kus" <WTF@127.0.0.1> say in news:OVxC40edGHA.4532
    @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

    > << While I was at work, Neil spurted out:
    >> did you hear "Bigus Di©kus" <WTF@127.0.0.1> say in
    >> news:#muoH0ddGHA.1272 @TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:
    >>
    >>> I hope you're referring to the candies.

    >> pervert
    >>

    > lol...hey, I wasn't the one talking about putting them in my pocket.

    THE SMARTIES!

    dude, get help....

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

    - If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
    Neil, May 12, 2006
  13. << While I was at work, Neil spurted out:
    > did you hear "Bigus Di©kus" <WTF@127.0.0.1> say in
    > news:OVxC40edGHA.4532 @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
    >
    >> << While I was at work, Neil spurted out:
    >> <<------------------------------------------>>
    >>> did you hear "Bigus Di©kus" <WTF@127.0.0.1> say in
    >>> news:#muoH0ddGHA.1272 @TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

    >>> pervert
    >>>

    >> lol...hey, I wasn't the one talking about putting them in my pocket.
    >>

    > THE SMARTIES!
    >
    > dude, get help....

    I KNOW!

    dude, chill out....

    Bigus Di©kus, May 12, 2006
  14. dialedup

    LRM Guest

    All gawked in amazement when: Bigus Di©kus assaulted us with:
    > << While I was at work, Neil spurted out:
    >> did you hear "Bigus Di©kus" <WTF@127.0.0.1> say in
    >> news:OVxC40edGHA.4532 @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
    >>
    >>> << While I was at work, Neil spurted out:
    >>> <<------------------------------------------>>

    >>> lol...hey, I wasn't the one talking about putting them in my pocket.
    >>>

    >> THE SMARTIES!
    >>
    >> dude, get help....
    >>

    > I KNOW!
    >
    > dude, chill out....

    This is starting to hurt my head. Let's all move on shall we?
    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2
    LRM, May 12, 2006
  15. "LRM" <> wrote in message
    > All gawked in amazement when: Bigus Di©kus assaulted us with:
    >> << While I was at work, Neil spurted out:
    >> <<------------------------------------------>>
    >>> did you hear "Bigus Di©kus" <WTF@127.0.0.1> say in
    >>> news:OVxC40edGHA.4532 @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

    >>> THE SMARTIES!
    >>>
    >>> dude, get help....
    >>>

    >> I KNOW!
    >>
    >> dude, chill out....

    > This is starting to hurt my head. Let's all move on shall we?

    Sorry LRM....Neil, my apologies.

    --
    Bigus Di©kus
    MCNGP 00110011
    Bigus Di©kus, May 13, 2006
  16. dialedup

    Frisbee® Guest

    "Bigus Di©kus" <WTF@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > dude, chill out....

    Does anyone know if anyone's having a sale on irony meters?
    Frisbee®, May 13, 2006
  17. dialedup

    LRM Guest

    All gawked in amazement when: Bigus Di©kus assaulted us with:
    > "LRM" <> wrote in message
    >> All gawked in amazement when: Bigus Di©kus assaulted us with:
    >>> << While I was at work, Neil spurted out:
    >>> <<------------------------------------------>>

    >>> I KNOW!
    >>>
    >>> dude, chill out....

    >> This is starting to hurt my head. Let's all move on shall we?

    > Sorry LRM....Neil, my apologies.

    Wait, this looks like BD, but doesn't act like BD, what's happening here?

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2
    LRM, May 13, 2006
  18. "LRM" <> wrote in message
    > All gawked in amazement when: Bigus Di©kus assaulted us with:
    >> "LRM" <> wrote in message
    >>> All gawked in amazement when: Bigus Di©kus assaulted us with:

    >>> This is starting to hurt my head. Let's all move on shall we?

    >> Sorry LRM....Neil, my apologies.

    > Wait, this looks like BD, but doesn't act like BD, what's happening here?

    Excuse me? ;) There have been plenty of times where I have made apologies. I
    just wasn't in the mood to elaborate last night.

    Bigus Di©kus, May 13, 2006
  19. "Frisbee®" wrote:

    > "Bigus Di©kus" <WTF@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > >
    > > dude, chill out....

    > Does anyone know if anyone's having a sale on irony meters?

    nice.
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, May 13, 2006
  20. "Frisbee®" <> wrote in message
    > "Bigus Di©kus" <WTF@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    >>
    >> dude, chill out....

    > Does anyone know if anyone's having a sale on irony meters?

    Have you checked eBay?

    I think I may need a new one too.
    Bigus Di©kus, May 13, 2006