    up MS-Windows too much.
    ~Randall

    , Jan 27, 2008

  2. On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:05:29 -0800 (PST), ""
    <> wrote:

    >Can some people with experience here advise me as to what security
    >suite software (antivirus, firewall, antispam) to get for MS Windows
    >XP? (free or commercial, but I am suspicious generally of free
    >software for MS-Windows that often has viruses and annoying popup
    >malware associated with it)

    Why do you think you need a security suite at all?

    Straight Talk, Jan 28, 2008

  3. jim Guest

    NOD32 Antivirus is great if you stick with version 2.7.

    DO NOT USE VERSION 3.0 AND DEFINITELY STAY AWAY FROM ESET SECURITY SUITE.
    They fvked it up, but say they are working to fix it.

    jim

    jim, Jan 28, 2008
  4. Sebastian G. Guest

    jim wrote something...

    Well, why should we lsten to the security advices of someone who abuses
    Outlook Express as a newsreader?

    Sebastian G., Jan 28, 2008
  5. jim Guest

    *You* shouldn't - run out and install ESS 3.0.

    jim

    jim, Jan 28, 2008
  6. Sebastian G. Guest

    jim wrote:

    > *You* shouldn't - run out and install ESS 3.0.

    OK, asking again more precisely: Why should *anyone* listen to the security
    advices of someone (*you*) who has obviously no clue about security?

    Sebastian G., Jan 28, 2008
  7. espresso Guest

    wrote:
    > Can some people with experience here advise me as to what security
    > suite software (antivirus, firewall, antispam) to get for MS Windows
    > XP? (free or commercial, but I am suspicious generally of free
    > software for MS-Windows that often has viruses and annoying popup
    > malware associated with it)
    >
    > To be honest, I have been using Ubuntu Linux for quite some time, on
    > dual boot systems (WinXP and Linux). I find myself increasingly in
    > need of only MS-Windows for the software I need to run (Sony Vegas,
    > Sony ACID Pro, Movie Magic screenwriting software, etc) and may be
    > just foregoing linux or perhaps taking it off my systems entirely.
    > Thus my concern for protecting myself from viruses, trojans, etc.
    > Today I downloaded and am running a trial version of Kaspersky
    > internet security, just to have something at least for 30 days. But I
    > am open to any security suite, as long as it does not slow down or jam
    > up MS-Windows too much.
    > ~Randall

    The suites tend to be bloated and a heavy drain on resources (esp.
    Norton). What's more, they give many people a false sense of security.
    They have limitations and there are more important things to do to
    secure your system (close unneeded ports and services, get a router,
    don't use admin, keep up to date on patches).

    That said, there is free stuff that works together as well as any
    integrated suite (Avg, AntiVir, ZoneAlarm, SpyBot). You'll find
    comparisons on the Web, do some looking. I used Windows for years and
    this patchwork approach worked well for me.

    Jon

    espresso, Jan 28, 2008
  8. vodk4 Guest

    vodk4, Feb 5, 2008
  9. Casper Guest

    Casper, Feb 5, 2008
  10. louise Guest

    vodk4 wrote:
    > NOD32 anti virus is the best solution brother and the best one around.

    And I'm not having any problems with version 3. In fact, it
    scans a lot faster.

    Louise

    louise, Feb 11, 2008