What scanner do you suggest ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Marisa, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Marisa

    Marisa Guest

    Hi

    I am looking to get a new scanner. I have had two Scanport
    models and both were ok. I now know the things necessary to
    work a scanner with my computer and am looking for something
    with a USB connection. I do not want a parallel port or feel

    that I can put in an ASCII card. The scanner I currently
    have is a Scanport 3000 and it has a USB connection but
    recently the
    connection has not been working. I believe it is because my
    kitten did a little chewing on the cable. I thought I would
    simply
    replace it and found that the cord in wired into the
    scanner. I use a scanner daily to scan black and white
    photos for sale and it
    is a necessity. Any suggestions would be greatly
    appreciated. I guess my next stop is the Consumers Buying
    Guide.

    Thanks in advance

    --

    ~~ The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken
    by hatching the

    ~~ Visit Leatherwood
    http://www.my-g-spot.com/leatherwood.html
    Marisa, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Marisa

    c Guest

    "Marisa" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am looking to get a new scanner. I have had two Scanport
    > models and both were ok. I now know the things necessary to
    > work a scanner with my computer and am looking for something
    > with a USB connection. I do not want a parallel port or feel
    >
    > that I can put in an ASCII card. The scanner I currently
    > have is a Scanport 3000 and it has a USB connection but
    > recently the
    > connection has not been working. I believe it is because my
    > kitten did a little chewing on the cable. I thought I would
    > simply
    > replace it and found that the cord in wired into the
    > scanner. I use a scanner daily to scan black and white
    > photos for sale and it
    > is a necessity. Any suggestions would be greatly
    > appreciated. I guess my next stop is the Consumers Buying
    > Guide.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Marisa,

    If you are looking for an inexpensive scanner, try Microtek. They scan
    pretty decent and can be had very cheaply. For what you are doing though, I
    would recommend one of the Epson Photo scanners. Some of them come with a
    negative scanner as well, which will give you even better picture quality
    than your B&W prints. The Epson's are a bit more pricey, but they also make
    absolutely beautiful scans.

    Chris
    c, Aug 14, 2003

  3. Marisa

    Ron Snow Guest

    I second the Epson suggestion. Been using the Epson Prefection1650 Photo for
    several months. Does a great scan.
    Ron Snow, Aug 14, 2003
  4. Marisa

    Greg Rice Guest

    I tried a MicroTek a couple of years ago and found that it didn't process
    the blacks very well. Sent it back. Bought an HP. Everything I used was a
    SCSI - however USB should work fine - maybe a little slower.

    Greg Rice, Aug 14, 2003
  5. Marisa

    Thor Guest

    "Greg Rice" <> wrote in message
    > I tried a MicroTek a couple of years ago and found that it didn't process
    > the blacks very well. Sent it back. Bought an HP. Everything I used was a
    > SCSI - however USB should work fine - maybe a little slower.

    Get a USB 2.0 scanner. They are quite fast.
    Thor, Aug 14, 2003
  6. Marisa

    c Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Greg Rice" <> wrote in message
    > > I tried a MicroTek a couple of years ago and found that it didn't

    process
    > > the blacks very well. Sent it back. Bought an HP. Everything I used was

    > > SCSI - however USB should work fine - maybe a little slower.

    > Get a USB 2.0 scanner. They are quite fast.

    As long as the person has USB 2.0 support on their PC. There are still a lot
    of systems out there that don't support it. They can add a USB 2.0 card, of
    course.

    Chris
    c, Aug 14, 2003
  7. Marisa

    Lenny Guest

    The Epson Perfection series.

    Lenny, Aug 14, 2003
  8. Marisa

    Thor Guest

    "c" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Greg Rice" <> wrote in message
    > > > I tried a MicroTek a couple of years ago and found that it didn't

    > process
    > > > the blacks very well. Sent it back. Bought an HP. Everything I used

    was
    > > > SCSI - however USB should work fine - maybe a little slower.

    > > Get a USB 2.0 scanner. They are quite fast.
    > >

    > As long as the person has USB 2.0 support on their PC. There are still a

    lot
    > of systems out there that don't support it. They can add a USB 2.0 card,

    of
    > course.

    Yes, that's true of course. I neglected to mention that. But they can be as
    fast as any SCSI scanner I've seen.
    Thor, Aug 15, 2003
  9. Marisa

    c Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "c" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Greg Rice" <> wrote in message

    > > process

    > was
    > > >
    > > > Get a USB 2.0 scanner. They are quite fast.
    > > >

    > > As long as the person has USB 2.0 support on their PC. There are still a

    > lot
    > > of systems out there that don't support it. They can add a USB 2.0 card,

    > of
    > > course.

    > Yes, that's true of course. I neglected to mention that. But they can be

    as
    > fast as any SCSI scanner I've seen.

    Yup, USB 2 is a good thing.

    Chris
    c, Aug 15, 2003
  10. I think you take a look Canon, they do a great range of USB scanners that
    draw their power via the USB and also some come in USB2 versions. They are
    great for scanning photographs with automatic scratch and dust removal tools
    etc. Remember Canon are leaders in cameras and a scanner is an optical
    device, right? So it stands to reason that you should at least look at these
    1st as the others already mentioned are better known for their printers then
    anything else.

    I have had a Microtek 1200 x 2400 scanner and promptly returned it is was
    rubbish when compared against a lowly 600 x 1200 Canon which I already had.
    I them promtly purchased a 1200 x 2400 Canon and the differance was
    impressive, I certainly do not regret sticking to Canon and neither will
    you.

    Graham.

    Graham Butcher, Aug 16, 2003
  11. Marisa

    AVP Guest

    Thank you all for your input. I am now about to take a hammer to
    this thing. I guess I will go with the most inexpensive right
    now except I have ruled out the Microtek. My guy just had his
    knee operated on and so much is up in the air. I wish I could
    take the two I currently have and produce one that would at
    least work right now. I know that my scans are hurting the
    income I get when auctioning but the show must go on. I guess I
    would be shocked to see how clear an image could be with a real
    :) scanner. I don't think my computer is compatible with the
    USB2.0 but that would be great. I don't know why but I am leery
    of my ability to put in an SCSI card and with my luck my whole
    system would crash. Again thank you very much. If you want to
    see some of the scans back when it worked you can check them out
    at the link below. I don't want to give a link to any auctions
    because that might be frowned on in the group but if you are
    interested in seeing the quality you can get there from my site.
    --

    Marisa

    AVP, Aug 20, 2003
  12. Marisa

    Night_Seer Guest

    If your looking for cheap, the canoscan LIDE is going for forty bucks (I
    bought my dad one for Christmas and paid 100) and it works great. I think
    they are using USB 2.0 now as well. Check it out.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Aug 20, 2003
  13. Marisa

    rb Guest

    Ron, last night I just bought a Lexmark X1150m trio. It's a scanner,
    printer, copier. It was 88 bucks brand new. The scans are beautiful on it.
    It says 48 bit color scanning. I did a few photos with it and the quality
    was unreal. Very cheap too and prints excellent. Not to mention, it uses
    color and black cartridges (included) at the same time.
    Lexmark is el cheapo, but I more than got my money's worth. The scanning is
    fast too, but I can only compare it to an older one that my father had a few
    years back.

    rb, Aug 24, 2003
  14. Marisa

    Thor Guest

    how much do you pay for new cartridges? Bet you haven't had the pleasure of
    doing that yet.

    That's the issue I have with lexmark. They are usually over $30, which is
    even more extreme than other overpriced ink carts.

    Thor, Aug 24, 2003
  15. Marisa

    rb Guest

    It included a black and a color cartridge, so haven't had to buy one yet but
    they are 30 bucks each. Don't need any cartridge for scanning though, so is
    a nice bonus for the original poster. Plus it's USB, so glad to get away
    from parallel port.

    rb, Aug 25, 2003
  16. Marisa

    JK Guest

    If you have the negatives, you will get much better results scanning
    the negatives on a dedicated film scanner rather than using a
    flatbed to scan prints. If your budget is low, you can get a Minolta
    Dimage Scan Dual 3 2800 dpi film scanner for around $250.

    JK, Oct 19, 2003