    white pictures. Should I get them re-scaned at a higher resolution,
    since I will be editing them later? What should I ask for if I get
    them rescanned? thanks.

    lbbss, Jan 25, 2008

  2. lbbss

    dj_nme Guest

    lbbss wrote:
    > We brought some pictures to be scanned at a office supply store.
    > These pictures will eventually be published in a book, but first I
    > need to learn how to touch them up with photo shop or something like
    > it. We asked them to scan in tiff format. When I got them put on
    > a CD, I notice that the tiffs files are actually very small (700kb or
    > so). I have taken tiff before with my digital camera and the files
    > are usually 10MB or so. Does that mean I got a low compressed
    > tiff? The resolution is 3300x2550. The pictures are old black and
    > white pictures. Should I get them re-scaned at a higher resolution,
    > since I will be editing them later? What should I ask for if I get
    > them rescanned? thanks.

    It should be the same resolution that you'd aim for in a photo print on
    an inkjet printer, at least 250ppi (pixels per inch).
    So, your scans should yield okay pictures up to 13.2"x10.2" in size.

    If they don't look sharp as they are, perhaps it would be a good idea to
    get them rescanned at twice the resolution you calcuate (for at least
    250ppi) that you will require to allow for editing and resizing.

    dj_nme, Jan 25, 2008

  3. lbbss

    Jim Townsend Guest

    lbbss wrote:

    > We brought some pictures to be scanned at a office supply store.
    > These pictures will eventually be published in a book, but first I
    > need to learn how to touch them up with photo shop or something like
    > it. We asked them to scan in tiff format. When I got them put on
    > a CD, I notice that the tiffs files are actually very small (700kb or
    > so). I have taken tiff before with my digital camera and the files
    > are usually 10MB or so. Does that mean I got a low compressed
    > tiff? The resolution is 3300x2550. The pictures are old black and
    > white pictures. Should I get them re-scaned at a higher resolution,
    > since I will be editing them later? What should I ask for if I get
    > them rescanned? thanks.

    An uncompressed 3300 x 2550 TIF image in 24 bit color should be
    around 8.41 Megabytes.

    I think the most important aspect to consider is the resolution that
    your magazine publisher wants. Check with them before you get your
    images scanned again.

    There's some great info on scanning at: http://www.scantips.com/

    Jim Townsend, Jan 25, 2008
  4. "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > We brought some pictures to be scanned at a office supply store.
    > These pictures will eventually be published in a book, but first I
    > need to learn how to touch them up with photo shop or something like
    > it. We asked them to scan in tiff format. When I got them put on
    > a CD, I notice that the tiffs files are actually very small (700kb or
    > so). I have taken tiff before with my digital camera and the files
    > are usually 10MB or so. Does that mean I got a low compressed
    > tiff? The resolution is 3300x2550. The pictures are old black and
    > white pictures. Should I get them re-scaned at a higher resolution,
    > since I will be editing them later? What should I ask for if I get
    > them rescanned? thanks.

    I would suggest that you first check with your publisher. Now is the
    time to find out what they need. They don't all have the same answer to
    that question.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 25, 2008
  5. lbbss

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:37:39 -0600, Jim Townsend <> wrote:
    : lbbss wrote:
    :
[...]

    But the OP says the pictures are B&W. So 24-bit color wouldn't be required,
    would it? 700kb still sounds low, but not nearly as low as it would be for a
    full-color photo.

    : I think the most important aspect to consider is the resolution that
    : your magazine publisher wants. Check with them before you get your
    : images scanned again.

    Didn't the OP say the pictures are going in a book, not a magazine?

    : There's some great info on scanning at: http://www.scantips.com/

    Robert Coe, Jan 26, 2008