    at install...

    Thanks in advance!

    Gary

    =?Utf-8?B?R2FyeSBIZW5yeQ==?=, Jul 4, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R2FyeSBIZW5yeQ==?=

    Jerry Guest

    Try doing a Google search on SATA controller cards. If there are any
    compatible they should be listed.

    Jerry, Jul 4, 2005

  3. I've been thinking about getting one of the better Promise cards with cache
    on it, but haven't seen drivers for it yet. OTOH, all the Adaptec RAID
    controllers appear to have drivers available. (But not their stand along SATA
    controller -- just the RAID ones.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 4, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?R2FyeSBIZW5yeQ==?=

    Intel_Fan Guest

    Trying not to sound insulting, have you checked to see if you already have
    ports for extra devices? Most built-in controllers can handle 4 SATA
    devices.

    Intel_Fan, Jul 4, 2005
  5. www.highpoint-tech.com
    www.3ware.com

    --
    Jose Manuel Tella Llop
    MVP - Windows

    Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase,
    y no otorga ningún derecho.

    rights.
    You assume all risk for your use.

    JM Tella Llop [MVP Windows], Jul 4, 2005
  6. I bought a 3ware 9500S-8MI controller and have five Western Digital WD2500SD
    drives on it. The 3ware v9.2 drivers are x64 ready. The array really flys!!
    3ware is expensive but well worth it if you plan to add even more drives. I
    bought it on ebay so I did get a really good deal on it.

    I had a HighPoint 404 card but they still haven't created x64 drivers for
    it. Plus, I don't think any of their sata cards will do RAID5 on the card
    (the 9500S does). Meaning, HighPoint RAID0 will run fast but RAID5 is slow.
    I prefer RAID5.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zZWYgR29ua28=?=, Jul 11, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?R2FyeSBIZW5yeQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    This workstation only has provision for 2 SATA drives without a PCI card.
    Good idea though. I have the Silicon Image 3114 which has 64-bit drivers
    any card with the SI chip in it would have drivers for x64.

    John Barnes, Jul 11, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?R2FyeSBIZW5yeQ==?=

    Stan Kasper Guest

    Isnt the 9500 a PCI-X card? If so, what mobo are you using?

    You may want to check out the LSI offering - it supports SATA 300
    and is a PCI-X card.

    -Stan

    Stan Kasper, Jul 11, 2005
  9. Yes, it is PCI-X with a 64-bit/66mhz top speed. It can be installed in a
    32/33 PCI slot but maximum performance will then be limited to 132MB/sec
    (versus the 528MB/sec a proper PCI-X slot yields).

    Consider that the WDC drives can only sustain a maximum disk to buffer rate
    of 61MB/sec. Then, SATA-1 at 150MB/sec is irrelevant as the bandwidth is
    ample. SATA-2 won't make the disk to buffer rate any faster as it is
    mechanically limited (either the disk needs to spin faster and/or the data
    density on each platter must be increased). Therefore, eight drives on the
    card (the maximum) would consume a maximum of only 488MB/sec, so the slot
    bandwidth is ample too.

    I'm running a SuperMicro X6DAE-G2 board with two 3.2ghz Xeons and 8gb
    memory. Started spec'ing out the system and "building" it in early January
    (paycheck to paycheck, heh). Threw all the components in a Lian-Li 2100B BIG
    tower case. Love the heck out of it.

    I was going to go with LSI, as their 8-port card is just as great, but I
    wanted the individual drive LED headers (which LSI does not have - just one
    for overall activity).

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zZWYgR29ua28=?=, Jul 12, 2005