What resolution for poster size prints ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alfred Molon, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Alfred Molon, Oct 15, 2003

  2. depends on the viewing distance, and how the poster is being reproduced.
    Photos are are about 200 dpi. Using that standard 200 dpi x 96"= 19,200x 200
    dpi x 36= 7,200 so to look like a photo up close it would need to be
    19,200x7,200= 138,240,000 so that looks like a bigass file.

    Darrell Larose, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Alfred Molon

    PiZzazA Guest

    Should multiply that by 3 as each pixel is made up by three bytes.

    PiZzazA, Oct 15, 2003
  4. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <7fgjb.342314$Lnr1.227460
    @news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, says...
    > depends on the viewing distance, and how the poster is being reproduced.
    > Photos are are about 200 dpi. Using that standard 200 dpi x 96"= 19,200x 200
    > dpi x 36= 7,200 so to look like a photo up close it would need to be
    > 19,200x7,200= 138,240,000 so that looks like a bigass file.

    You mean a 3 x 8 feet poster is usually printed at 200 dpi ? We are
    talking about a huge 0.9 meter x 2.4 meter thing, which probably is
    viewed at a few meters distance.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Oct 15, 2003
  5. Alfred Molon

    Savidge4 Guest

    I print 3x8 foot posters with some regularity. I have a HP 5000 60" plotter.
    Generally speaking the 200 DPI mark that was already suggested is pretty much
    on target. but you can get away with less dpi depending on the viewing
    distance. If you happen to be placing the print in a room that is only 12 x 12
    you can not get the required viewing distance and will obviosly need to
    increase the DPI of the image to get a "good" looking print.

    there are some tricks to getting a good quality print of that size. generally
    speaking the company that will be doing the print will have a high end RIP that
    can do very sofisticated up scalling so will not need a 7200 x 19200 image.
    more than likely you can deliver a 1800 x 4800 image at 200 dpi and allow them
    to do the upscaling and get good to great results. I would suggest contacting
    the company you will be using to do the print to get the required specs for an
    image.

    hope that helps!

    Savidge4, Oct 15, 2003
  6. Alfred Molon

    Crownfield Guest

    Darrell Larose wrote:

    > depends on the viewing distance, and how the poster is being reproduced.
    > Photos are are about 200 dpi. Using that standard 200 dpi x 96"= 19,200x 200
    > dpi x 36= 7,200 so to look like a photo up close it would need to be
    > 19,200x7,200= 138,240,000 so that looks like a bigass file.

    or try 50-75 dpi.

    Crownfield, Oct 15, 2003
  7. Alfred Molon

    Ken Burns Guest

    Ken Burns, Oct 16, 2003
  8. Alfred Molon

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Unless you are using a very expensive professional digital studio
    camera, you will be hard pressed for pixels. Use all you have. Image
    should have as high a resolution as you can get. It is not really dpi
    you are worried about- it is total pixels. Dpi will be automatically
    defaulted to size of print and number of total pixels you have.

    Alfred Molon wrote:

    > What dpi are customary in the publishing world for a 3 x 8 feet poster
    > print ? Obviously not the 300 dpi used for books - perhaps 100 dpi ?
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Oct 16, 2003
  9. Alfred Molon

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:53:00 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
    <> wrote:

    >Unless you are using a very expensive professional digital studio
    >camera, you will be hard pressed for pixels.

    Do not forget one can easily stitch together multiple images to create
    a hi-res original for such purposes.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Oct 16, 2003
  10. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    nospam* says...
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:53:00 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Unless you are using a very expensive professional digital studio
    > >camera, you will be hard pressed for pixels.

    > Do not forget one can easily stitch together multiple images to create
    > a hi-res original for such purposes.

    Exactly. I have some panos with over 20 MP, made by stiching together
    individual 5 MP images.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Oct 16, 2003