    ratio of a 480X576 resolution video to a 480X576 playback aspect ratio.
    What program allows to edit a mpeg2 or (ATI *.VCR) video retaining a
    playback aspect ratio?
    Dima, Jan 19, 2005

  2. On a sunny day (19 Jan 2005 00:25:02 -0800) it happened "Dima" <>
    wrote in <>:

    >What program will convert mpeg2 or (ATI *.VCR) video to mpeg4 retaining
    >a playback aspect ratio? Dr.Divx and ATI MMC change a mpeg2 file
    >playback aspect ratio to video resolution aspect ratio when converting
    >to mpeg4. For example, Dr.Divx and ATI MMC change a 4x3 playback aspect
    >ratio of a 480X576 resolution video to a 480X576 playback aspect ratio.
    >What program allows to edit a mpeg2 or (ATI *.VCR) video retaining a
    >playback aspect ratio?

    Linux transcode
    from man transcode;
    --export_asr C
    set export aspect ratio code C [as input]

    Valid codes for C are:
    1 1:1
    2 4:3
    3 16:9
    4 2.21:1
    Linux ffmpeg
    -aspect aspect
    set aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9 or 1.3333, 1.7777)
    Jan Panteltje, Jan 19, 2005

  3. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Thanks for your reply.
    Will Linux transcode retain, not change video resolution in pixels?
    Will it work in windows?
    Dima, Jan 19, 2005
  4. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Dima, Jan 19, 2005
  5. Re: What program will convert a MPEG2 video to MPEG4 retaining aplayback aspect ratio?

    Dima wrote:
    > I need a program for Windows.
    > "Transcode runs on UN*X like systems like Linux, BSD, and MacOSX."
    > http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode?General_Information

    If the source code for transcode is availible then you may be able to
    install Cygwin (UNIX for Windows) and compile transcode under Cygwin.

    Cygwin is free from: http://www.cygwin.com/

    I have Cygwin installed at home and work.

    Later,
    Steven
    Steven Whatley, Jan 19, 2005
  6. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Is the source code for transcode available?
    How to compile transcode under Cygwin?
    Dima, Jan 19, 2005
  7. Dima

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Dima" <> wrote in message
    >I need a program for Windows.
    > "Transcode runs on UN*X like systems like Linux, BSD, and MacOSX."
    > http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode?General_Information

    Those Linux fanatics can be so annoying sometimes. Changing
    OS is hardly an answer to your problem, seldom is.

    Most any Encoder will allow you to establish aspect ratio settings
    including the playback bit. I use the TMPGEnc Encoders 2.5 & 3.0,
    but even most filter based encoders allow such settings.

    Linux has its place, but it has a long way to go before it is able to
    compete in the general consumer PC market.

    Luck;
    Ken
    Ken Maltby, Jan 19, 2005
  8. Dima

    theyak Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Linux has its place, but it has a long way to go before it is able to
    > compete in the general consumer PC market.

    While we're waxing philosophical, all that has to happen for linux to
    explode in popularity is for game developers to start using opengl or
    the like...
    theyak, Jan 19, 2005
  9. Dima

    Biz Guest

    Gordian Knot...

    Biz, Jan 19, 2005
  10. Dima

    Guest

    Ken Maltby wrote:
    > "Dima" <> wrote in message
    > >I need a program for Windows.
    > > "Transcode runs on UN*X like systems like Linux, BSD, and MacOSX."
    > > http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode?General_Information
    > >

    > Those Linux fanatics can be so annoying sometimes. Changing
    > OS is hardly an answer to your problem, seldom is.
    >
    > Most any Encoder will allow you to establish aspect ratio settings
    > including the playback bit. I use the TMPGEnc Encoders 2.5 & 3.0,
    > but even most filter based encoders allow such settings.
    >
    > Linux has its place, but it has a long way to go before it is able

    > compete in the general consumer PC market.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    True enough, but the fact remains that, in the hands of a skiled user,
    Linux is far more powerful than Windows.
    , Jan 19, 2005
  11. Dima

    Lenroc Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:33:02 -0800, relaxification wrote:

    > True enough, but the fact remains that, in the hands of a skiled user,
    > Linux is far more powerful than Windows.

    Bah.

    In the hands of a sufficiently skilled user, the operating system is
    irrelevant.

    --
    Lenroc
    Lenroc, Jan 19, 2005
  12. Dima

    Ken Maltby Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Ken Maltby wrote:
    >> "Dima" <> wrote in message
    >> >I need a program for Windows.
    >> > "Transcode runs on UN*X like systems like Linux, BSD, and MacOSX."
    >> > http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode?General_Information
    >> >

    >> Those Linux fanatics can be so annoying sometimes. Changing
    >> OS is hardly an answer to your problem, seldom is.
    >>
    >> Most any Encoder will allow you to establish aspect ratio settings
    >> including the playback bit. I use the TMPGEnc Encoders 2.5 & 3.0,
    >> but even most filter based encoders allow such settings.
    >>
    >> Linux has its place, but it has a long way to go before it is able

    >> compete in the general consumer PC market.
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken

    > True enough, but the fact remains that, in the hands of a skiled user,
    > Linux is far more powerful than Windows.

    True also; but the fact remains that, in the hands of a skilled
    programmer
    any assembly language is far more powerful than Windows, Linux, or any
    higher level language.

    Luck;
    Ken
    Ken Maltby, Jan 19, 2005
  13. On a sunny day (19 Jan 2005 02:51:55 -0800) it happened "Dima" <>
    wrote in <>:

    >Thanks for your reply.
    >Will Linux transcode retain, not change video resolution in pixels?

    ehh, if you go to the same format.
    >Will it work in windows?

    Nope
    Jan Panteltje, Jan 19, 2005
  14. On a sunny day (Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:29:15 -0600) it happened "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote in <>:

    >"Dima" <> wrote in message
    >>I need a program for Windows.
    >> "Transcode runs on UN*X like systems like Linux, BSD, and MacOSX."
    >> http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode?General_Information
    >>

    > Those Linux fanatics can be so annoying sometimes. Changing
    >OS is hardly an answer to your problem, seldom is.

    Well, the few windows fanatics left wil have to go Unux one day too.

    > Most any Encoder will allow you to establish aspect ratio settings
    >including the playback bit. I use the TMPGEnc Encoders 2.5 & 3.0,
    >but even most filter based encoders allow such settings.
    >
    > Linux has its place, but it has a long way to go before it is able to
    >compete in the general consumer PC market.

    You have no clue, *I* use a PC to solve a problem.
    Linux has the solution to this specific problem.
    If you want to have a relationship wint MS soft, more then a solution to
    a technical problem, why not go for a job at MS.
    Jan Panteltje, Jan 19, 2005
  15. On a sunny day (19 Jan 2005 06:24:07 -0800) it happened "Dima" <>
    wrote in <>:

    >Is the source code for transcode available?

    Yes
    >How to compile transcode under Cygwin?

    Possibly, but much easier to install Linux in a partition and use the other
    million or so free programs too.
    Jan Panteltje, Jan 19, 2005
  16. On a sunny day (Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:23:30 -0700) it happened Lenroc
    <> wrote in <GHxHd.18971$B95.667@lakeread02>:

    >On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:33:02 -0800, relaxification wrote:
    >
    >> True enough, but the fact remains that, in the hands of a skiled user,
    >> Linux is far more powerful than Windows.

    >Bah.
    >
    >In the hands of a sufficiently skilled user, the operating system is
    >irrelevant.

    In the hands of a sufficiently 'skilled' president the lives of many are irrelevant.
    Jan Panteltje, Jan 19, 2005
  17. On a sunny day (Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:26:56 -0600) it happened "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote in <>:

    > True also; but the fact remains that, in the hands of a skilled
    >programmer
    >any assembly language is far more powerful than Windows, Linux, or any
    >higher level language.

    Linux is no language.
    It is an operating systenm, partly written in C and guess what, partly in
    assembler.
    So you get a clue.
    Jan Panteltje, Jan 19, 2005
  18. Dima

    Steve K. Guest

    Re: What program will convert a MPEG2 video to MPEG4 retaining aplayback aspect ratio?

    Quicktime.
    Steve K., Jan 19, 2005
  19. Dima

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Jan Panteltje" <> wrote in message
    > On a sunny day (Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:26:56 -0600) it happened "Ken Maltby"
    > <> wrote in <>:
    >>
    >> True also; but the fact remains that, in the hands of a skilled
    >>programmer
    >>any assembly language is far more powerful than Windows, Linux, or any
    >>higher level language.

    > Linux is no language.
    > It is an operating systenm, partly written in C and guess what, partly in
    > assembler.
    > So you get a clue.

    Just following the chain of your illogic to its conclusion.
    ( That's a clue so you might catch my point.)

    Luck;
    Ken
    Ken Maltby, Jan 19, 2005
  20. Dima

    FLY135 Guest

    "Steve K." <> wrote in message
    > Quicktime.

    Funny thing. I am building a streaming MPEG-4 encoder at work and Quicktime
    doesn't obey the pixel aspect value when RTP/RTSP streaming. OTOH Videolan
    Client does. I know that's not relevant to this discussion but it struck me
    as funny if it handles it properly in file conversions.
    FLY135, Jan 20, 2005