    --
    bhaskar
    http://members.fortunecity.com/webpagebuilder1

    Bhaskar Karambelkar, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Bhaskar Karambelkar

    Lionel Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 01:41:57 GMT, in
    <F7iYa.16551$>, Bhaskar Karambelkar
    <> said:

    >hi all,
    >just wondering what would be an ideal prime lens for 10D for
    >general photography ?
    >Because of the 1.6x multiplication factor I figure you can't use the
    >same prime for portrait and landscape as well.

    >With a 35mm camera, I have seen people do decent portraits/landscape,
    >but a 50mm's FOV for 10D is effective 80mm, So landscape is out of
    >question ?
    >Does any one use only primes with their 10D and if so which ones and why ?

    I don't use only primes with my 10D, but I do use them much more than my
    zooms. I use a 28mm f1.8 & a 50mm 1.8 for portraits, & highly recommend
    both of them.

    Lionel, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Bhaskar Karambelkar

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <F7iYa.16551$>,
    says...
    > hi all,
    > just wondering what would be an ideal prime lens for 10D for
    > general photography ?
    > Because of the 1.6x multiplication factor I figure you can't use the
    > same prime for portrait and landscape as well.
    > With a 35mm camera, I have seen people do decent portraits/landscape,
    > but a 50mm's FOV for 10D is effective 80mm, So landscape is out of
    > question ?
    > Does any one use only primes with their 10D and if so which ones and why ?

    I have the 50mm f/1.8 and it's a great portrait lens. It is very cheaply
    built but it's very sharp. If you want a better built lens, get the 50mm
    f/1.4 for about 4 times as much money (around $70 for the 1.8 vs. $300
    for the 1.4.)

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Maybe, a 17-40L froma Canon, or a 17-35 EX froms Sigma???
    I've recently bought the first one.

    Bernat

    mensaje news:F7iYa.16551$...

    Bernat Vilaginés, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Bhaskar Karambelkar

    JK Guest

    Bernhard Mayer wrote:

    > Bhaskar Karambelkar <> wrote in message news:<F7iYa.16551$>...
    >
    > > just wondering what would be an ideal prime lens for 10D for
    > > general photography ?

    > In terms of prime lenses it is hard to beat the Canon 50/1.8. Let's
    > say, it is so cheap (but good) that third parties don't even try...

    A 50 1.8 is very cheap, however a 50mm f1.4 is imo much more
    useful, and is probably much higher quality optically.

    > I also like the 28./2.8 a lot if you can still buy that. Doesn't have
    > USM, but is a very sharp lens. Equals around 50 on the 10D.

    See if you can get a 28 f2 at a decent price. The extra stop
    really comes in handy.

    JK, Aug 7, 2003
  6. Bhaskar Karambelkar

    JK Guest

    Todd Walker wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    > > A 50 1.8 is very cheap, however a 50mm f1.4 is imo much more
    > > useful, and is probably much higher quality optically.
    > >

    > Tests have shown that the 1.4 is marginally better optically -- not
    > worth the extra $200+ IMHO.
    >
    > And how does an extra 1/2 stop make it "much more useful?"

    You have never been in a situation where you need that extra speed?
    Marginally better optically? 50mm f1.8 lenses are typically made for the
    masses, while the f1.4 lenses are designed with the serious photographer
    in mind.

    JK, Aug 7, 2003
  7. Bhaskar Karambelkar

    JK Guest

    Perhaps at f8 or f11 there may not be that much difference, but at f2.8
    or faster the f1.4 lens will probably yield much better results.

    JK, Aug 7, 2003
  8. > just wondering what would be an ideal prime lens for 10D for
    > general photography ?
    > Because of the 1.6x multiplication factor I figure you can't use the
    > same prime for portrait and landscape as well.
    > With a 35mm camera, I have seen people do decent portraits/landscape,
    > but a 50mm's FOV for 10D is effective 80mm, So landscape is out of
    > question ?
    > Does any one use only primes with their 10D and if so which ones and why ?

    I don't have any non-zooms, but keep the Canon 20-35 on the body most
    of the time.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 7, 2003
  9. Bhaskar Karambelkar

    Lisa Horton Guest

    You know, Bhaskar, each person is likely to have their own personal
    "ideal" focal length, based on what they photograph, how they photograph
    it, and personal preference.

    With that caveat, my favorite single focal length is around 85mm. With
    the FOV crop of the 10D, a 50mm would produce the most similar result.
    I use the 50/1.8, because in 35mm that is a little used focal length.
    If I was going to be using a main prime lens for the 10D, I think I'd
    spend the extra money for the 1.4 version. Not so much for the extra
    speed, as for the faster & quieter AF (USM) and better build quality.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Aug 7, 2003
  10. Bhaskar Karambelkar

    Kenny Guest

    > hi all,
    > just wondering what would be an ideal prime lens for 10D for
    > general photography ?

    I only own 3 primes, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8 and a 500mmL. All my other
    lenses are zooms, from 15mm all the way through to 500mm. I could not
    manage with just a single prime, or with primes only for that matter.

    My favourite prime - the 85mm 1.8 for portraits. It is one of the best
    prime lenses in that range with wonderful bokeh and the sharpest of
    images. It isn't too expensive either.

    For a general single prime, try and get a 50mm MK I which is a lot
    better than the plastic MK II.

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 7, 2003
  11. Bhaskar Karambelkar

    Lionel Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:22:13 -0700, in
    <>, Lisa Horton <>
    said:

    >You know, Bhaskar, each person is likely to have their own personal
    >"ideal" focal length, based on what they photograph, how they photograph
    >it, and personal preference.
    >
    >With that caveat, my favorite single focal length is around 85mm. With
    >the FOV crop of the 10D, a 50mm would produce the most similar result.
    >I use the 50/1.8, because in 35mm that is a little used focal length.

    I really like that lens for portraits too. It's just right for the
    distance I like to shoot people with flash, & wide open, really brings
    the subject out of the background.

    >If I was going to be using a main prime lens for the 10D, I think I'd
    >spend the extra money for the 1.4 version. Not so much for the extra
    >speed, as for the faster & quieter AF (USM) and better build quality.

    <nods> I just got my 50mm f1.8 II back from being repaired under
    warranty. It'd started reporting '00' instead of the aperture reading.
    As you might expect from such a cheap build, it was due to a loose
    internal connection. I've been watching out for used 50 f1.8 I's &
    f1.4's, as I'm not sure that I'm willing to trust the 1.8II. (I suppose
    I could buy a second f1.8II, but I'd be more comfortable with a metal
    body anyway.)

    Lionel, Aug 8, 2003
  12. Bhaskar Karambelkar

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Todd Walker <> wrote:

    >And how does an extra 1/2 stop make it "much more useful?"

    The manual focusing actually works, and you can over-ride the autofocus
    manually.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Aug 9, 2003