What Price to Sell a Pentax Optio S51 for???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by david.payne@onecall.com, Jun 22, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Pentax is looking to sell OneCall_com some Pentax S51 cameras (yeah the
    Altoids one from a couple years ago). OneCall_com isn't sure if there
    is a demand or not for them, and if so what price people would pay for
    them.

    My job is to find out:

    A. Is there an interest in them?
    B. About how many people would buy them (so we can determine how many
    we want to buy from Pentax)?
    C. And most importantly what price would people be willing to pay for
    them?

    These things were really popular but that was a long time ago. Thus, I
    need this group's help.

    Thanks,

    David Payne
    OneCall.com

    , Jun 22, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    > Pentax is looking to sell OneCall_com some Pentax S51 cameras (yeah the
    > Altoids one from a couple years ago). OneCall_com isn't sure if there
    > is a demand or not for them, and if so what price people would pay for
    > them.

    I think you mean the S5i, not S51. Never heard of an S51, but correct me if
    I'm wrong.

    > My job is to find out:
    >
    > A. Is there an interest in them?

    There should be. Great little camera.

    > B. About how many people would buy them (so we can determine how many
    > we want to buy from Pentax)?

    I would, if I didn't already have a couple of Pentaxes in that style (S4i
    and S5z).

    > C. And most importantly what price would people be willing to pay for
    > them?

    Check eBay, see what they're selling for. If it's refurbs Pentax wants to
    sell you, the retail price should be similar. If brand new, a bit higher. In
    both cases this is assuming Pentax (or your company) provides some sort of
    warranty.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Jun 22, 2006

  3. Yeah, you're right it is an S5i. I told them to pass as we would have
    been at the same price as eBay and Pentax wanted to load us up pretty
    heavy.

    Thanks, for the suggestion regarding eBay.

    David

    TheOneCallGuy, Jun 22, 2006
  4. Guest

    wrote:
    > Pentax is looking to sell OneCall_com some Pentax S51 cameras (yeah the
    > Altoids one from a couple years ago). OneCall_com isn't sure if there
    > is a demand or not for them, and if so what price people would pay for
    > them.
    > My job is to find out:
    > A. Is there an interest in them?
    > B. About how many people would buy them (so we can determine how many
    > we want to buy from Pentax)?

    They are really a niche item. Even for women, they really are too
    small to hold stable easily or use the controls on easily. The
    "next-size-up" pocketable digicams have a general market that these
    things won't.

    , Jun 23, 2006
  5. <> wrote in message

    > They are really a niche item. Even for women, they really are too
    > small to hold stable easily or use the controls on easily.

    Well, if it's a niche it's a pretty good-sized niche. Though the S5i (and
    some earlier models in the series) is discontinued, Pentax continues to sell
    cameras in this size and introduce new models, and they really are little
    gems. I have average-sized hands and rather long fingers, and have no
    problem managing my S4i and S5z. Yes, the controls are necessarily smaller,
    but probably at least 95% of buyers will just use these cameras as
    point-and-shoots anyway, with the extra features there in case they want to
    poke into them. Like the Minolta X series cameras (which are also extremely
    popular), these are *truly* shirt-pocket size and there are obviously lots
    of people who want that size.

    Neil Harrington, Jun 23, 2006
  6. Neil Harrington wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >

    > > They are really a niche item. Even for women, they really are too
    > > small to hold stable easily or use the controls on easily.

    > Well, if it's a niche it's a pretty good-sized niche. Though the S5i (and
    > some earlier models in the series) is discontinued, Pentax continues to sell
    > cameras in this size and introduce new models, and they really are little
    > gems. I have average-sized hands and rather long fingers, and have no
    > problem managing my S4i and S5z. Yes, the controls are necessarily smaller,
    > but probably at least 95% of buyers will just use these cameras as
    > point-and-shoots anyway, with the extra features there in case they want to
    > poke into them. Like the Minolta X series cameras (which are also extremely
    > popular), these are *truly* shirt-pocket size and there are obviously lots
    > of people who want that size.

    If I can get enough demand on this post for them at a selling price of
    $199.99 then I will have OneCall.com bring them in, otherwise I just
    don't feel it will be worth the risk.

    David Payne
    http://www.onecall.com

    TheOneCallGuy, Jun 23, 2006
  7. "TheOneCallGuy" <> wrote in message

    > Neil Harrington wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> > They are really a niche item. Even for women, they really are too
    >> > small to hold stable easily or use the controls on easily.

    >> Well, if it's a niche it's a pretty good-sized niche. Though the S5i (and
    >> some earlier models in the series) is discontinued, Pentax continues to
    >> sell
    >> cameras in this size and introduce new models, and they really are little
    >> gems. I have average-sized hands and rather long fingers, and have no
    >> problem managing my S4i and S5z. Yes, the controls are necessarily
    >> smaller,
    >> but probably at least 95% of buyers will just use these cameras as
    >> point-and-shoots anyway, with the extra features there in case they want
    >> poke into them. Like the Minolta X series cameras (which are also
    >> extremely
    >> popular), these are *truly* shirt-pocket size and there are obviously
    >> lots
    >> of people who want that size.

    > If I can get enough demand on this post for them at a selling price of
    > $199.99 then I will have OneCall.com bring them in, otherwise I just
    > don't feel it will be worth the risk.

    I think you might have trouble selling them at that price point, David. Of
    course some sellers get higher prices than others for the same product, but
    consider that for example the Pentax S5z (which is a newer model) sells
    right now for $179.00 at Beach Camera. The S5i is discontinued, which
    presumably is why Pentax is trying to unload their remaining stock.

    At a bargain price I'd probably buy one myself, but $199.99 would not be a
    bargain price. It's still a neat camera, but there are so many bargains
    nowadays in ultracompact digitals.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Jun 23, 2006