What price for framed prints?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eric Miller, Jan 28, 2008.

  1. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    I don't generally sell photos, but I will be offering three prints for
    sale at an upcoming art show.

    The following image will be 16x25 inches and custom framed (for about
    $125 framing cost):

    <http://www.dyesscreek.com/galleries/index.php?display=travel%2Fcanadian_rockies_2007%2F2106573-9b19d126f0709a94.jpg>

    The following two images will be printed at 11x14 and framed in wooden
    frames:

    <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_3061.jpg>
    <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_3242.jpg>

    The prints will likely be lightjet prints. I am trying to figure out
    what price to charge. Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com

    Eric Miller, Jan 28, 2008

  2. Eric Miller wrote:
    > I don't generally sell photos, but I will be offering three prints for
    > sale at an upcoming art show.
    >
    > The following image will be 16x25 inches and custom framed (for about
    > $125 framing cost):
    >
    > <http://www.dyesscreek.com/galleries/index.php?display=travel%2Fcanadian_rockies_2007%2F2106573-9b19d126f0709a94.jpg>
    >

    > The following two images will be printed at 11x14 and framed in wooden
    > frames:
    >
    > <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_3061.jpg>
    >
    > <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_3242.jpg>

    > The prints will likely be lightjet prints. I am trying to figure out
    > what price to charge. Any ideas?

    Moraine image: I'd love to see this in print- process? Gelatin or
    inkjet? Off the cuff, %450 sounds right.

    Hummers: Assuming a framing cost of ca. $50, I'd guess $ !50, maybe $250
    the pair.

    For me, the stem in the background stuck out, and now I can't get it out
    of my mind. I wonder if cloning it out might be an improvement? (It's
    the only one that's clearly OoF. Nothing wrong with OoF itself, but
    somehow, for me, it catches too much attention, due to where it lies in
    the photo.)

    Very nice stuff, Eric.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jan 28, 2008

  3. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    > Moraine image: I'd love to see this in print- process? Gelatin or
    > inkjet? Off the cuff, %450 sounds right.
    >
    > Hummers: Assuming a framing cost of ca. $50, I'd guess $ !50, maybe $250
    > the pair.
    >
    > For me, the stem in the background stuck out, and now I can't get it out
    > of my mind. I wonder if cloning it out might be an improvement? (It's
    > the only one that's clearly OoF. Nothing wrong with OoF itself, but
    > somehow, for me, it catches too much attention, due to where it lies in
    > the photo.)
    >
    > Very nice stuff, Eric.

    Thanks John. I have found a place online, Reed Photo, that will print
    these images with a lightjet onto Fuji Crystal Archive paper. The
    Moraine shot is a stitch of four portrait shots taken with a 5D so I
    have plenty of pixels to work with.

    The price on framing the hummingbirds will be around $50. The print
    itself will probably cost about $20 more (just a guess, I haven't priced
    the 11x14s, the 16x24 will run around $70 for the print, about $200
    total cost framed. I was thinking somewhere around $400, but had
    absolute no reference prices to use since I haven't bought or sold
    prints before.

    Thanks,

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com

    Eric Miller, Jan 28, 2008
  4. Eric Miller wrote:

    >> Moraine image: I'd love to see this in print- process? Gelatin or
    >> inkjet? Off the cuff, %450 sounds right.
    >>
    >> Hummers: Assuming a framing cost of ca. $50, I'd guess $ !50, maybe
    >> $250 the pair.
    >>
    >> For me, the stem in the background stuck out, and now I can't get it
    >> out of my mind. I wonder if cloning it out might be an improvement?
    >> (It's the only one that's clearly OoF. Nothing wrong with OoF itself,
    >> but somehow, for me, it catches too much attention, due to where it
    >> lies in the photo.)
    >>
    >> Very nice stuff, Eric.
    >>

    > Thanks John. I have found a place online, Reed Photo, that will print
    > these images with a lightjet onto Fuji Crystal Archive paper. The
    > Moraine shot is a stitch of four portrait shots taken with a 5D so I
    > have plenty of pixels to work with.
    >
    > The price on framing the hummingbirds will be around $50. The print
    > itself will probably cost about $20 more (just a guess, I haven't priced
    > the 11x14s, the 16x24 will run around $70 for the print, about $200
    > total cost framed. I was thinking somewhere around $400, but had
    > absolute no reference prices to use since I haven't bought or sold
    > prints before.

    I don't sell thataway, although maybe someday. I try to see all local
    street fairs in the BayArea that I can, and my suggestions are based on
    that. Though I was thinking the hummers were going to be 8 x 10, so
    printing costs would be nil on that size. Darn, too bad you aren't
    nearby. I could print the 16 x 24s on my new Epson 3800.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jan 28, 2008
  5. Eric Miller

    ____ Guest

    In article <R4mnj.59945$>,
    Eric Miller <> wrote:

    > I don't generally sell photos, but I will be offering three prints for
    > sale at an upcoming art show.
    >
    > The following image will be 16x25 inches and custom framed (for about
    > $125 framing cost):
    >
    > <http://www.dyesscreek.com/galleries/index.php?display=travel/canadian_rocki
    > es_2007%2F2106573-9b19d126f0709a94.jpg>
    >

    > The following two images will be printed at 11x14 and framed in wooden
    > frames:
    >
    > <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds/_MG_3061.jpg
    > >

    > <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds/_MG_3242.jpg
    > >

    > The prints will likely be lightjet prints. I am trying to figure out
    > what price to charge. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Eric Miller
    > www.dyesscreek.com

    Best to start out high and lower prices as needed. Most Photographers
    under sell there work and this complicates the pricing for everyone.
    Standard business practice use to be 100 percent mark up from expenses.
    But many successful art selling photographers will tell you more like
    700% is easily obtainable. It just depends on the buyer. I've sold lots
    of 80 dollar 16x20's that I've printed and matted, a few 250.00 16x20's
    framed under glass and an occasional 16x20 at 450.00 framed under glass.
    I would rather sell 10 at 80.00 than one at 450.00 although two at
    450.00 be nicer.

    I think you could go higher for the humming birds than John's 50.00 I'd
    say they are certainly worth 150.00 each at 11x14 matted and framed.
    The B&W I think although a nice picture, its too generic for 450.00 It
    is also probably not going to be as sharp as someone who is using and is
    good at using a Large format camera printed at that size. There will be
    competition doing so with better imagery. Of course it all depends on
    the buyer as stated.

    --
    Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.

    ____, Jan 29, 2008
  6. Eric Miller

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 28, 9:58 am, Eric Miller <>
    wrote:
    > I don't generally sell photos, but I will be offering three prints for
    > sale at an upcoming art show.
    >
    > The following image will be 16x25 inches and custom framed (for about
    > $125 framing cost):
    >
    > <http://www.dyesscreek.com/galleries/index.php?display=travel%2Fcanadi...>
    >
    > The following two images will be printed at 11x14 and framed in wooden
    > frames:
    >
    > <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_...>
    > <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_...>
    >
    > The prints will likely be lightjet prints. I am trying to figure out
    > what price to charge. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

    Eric,
    Nice images, I wouldn't print the Moraine picture on Fuji Archive, if
    you want a chemical print, try to find a company that is working with
    a b&w paper, much better tonality. I stopped using a local printer and
    bought a wide format inkjet, just for the reason I really don't like
    b&w images on color paper. Inkjet will give a more archival life
    expectancy anyway.
    Just my opinion,
    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 29, 2008
  7. ____ wrote:
    > In article <R4mnj.59945$>,
    > Eric Miller <> wrote:
    >
    >> I don't generally sell photos, but I will be offering three prints for
    >> sale at an upcoming art show.
    >>
    >> The following image will be 16x25 inches and custom framed (for about
    >> $125 framing cost):
    >>
    >> <http://www.dyesscreek.com/galleries/index.php?display=travel/canadian_rocki
    >> es_2007%2F2106573-9b19d126f0709a94.jpg>
    >>

    >> The following two images will be printed at 11x14 and framed in wooden
    >> frames:
    >>
    >> <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds/_MG_3061.jpg
    >> <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds/_MG_3242.jpg
    >>
    >> The prints will likely be lightjet prints. I am trying to figure out
    >> what price to charge. Any ideas?

    > Best to start out high and lower prices as needed. Most Photographers
    > under sell there work and this complicates the pricing for everyone.
    > Standard business practice use to be 100 percent mark up from expenses.
    > But many successful art selling photographers will tell you more like
    > 700% is easily obtainable. It just depends on the buyer. I've sold lots
    > of 80 dollar 16x20's that I've printed and matted, a few 250.00 16x20's
    > framed under glass and an occasional 16x20 at 450.00 framed under glass.
    > I would rather sell 10 at 80.00 than one at 450.00 although two at
    > 450.00 be nicer.
    >
    > I think you could go higher for the humming birds than John's 50.00 I'd
    > say they are certainly worth 150.00 each at 11x14 matted and framed.

    It looks like I hit the ! exclamation point ! instead of a one. It may
    show up differently or blank depending on your set up, but we're in the
    same pew with $150- I was thinking 8 x 10 matted and framed, though.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jan 29, 2008
  8. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    tomm42 wrote:
    > On Jan 28, 9:58 am, Eric Miller <>
    > wrote:
    >> I don't generally sell photos, but I will be offering three prints for
    >> sale at an upcoming art show.
    >>
    >> The following image will be 16x25 inches and custom framed (for about
    >> $125 framing cost):
    >>
    >> <http://www.dyesscreek.com/galleries/index.php?display=travel%2Fcanadi...>
    >>
    >> The following two images will be printed at 11x14 and framed in wooden
    >> frames:
    >>
    >> <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_...>
    >> <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_...>
    >>
    >> The prints will likely be lightjet prints. I am trying to figure out
    >> what price to charge. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

    > Eric,
    > Nice images, I wouldn't print the Moraine picture on Fuji Archive, if
    > you want a chemical print, try to find a company that is working with
    > a b&w paper, much better tonality. I stopped using a local printer and
    > bought a wide format inkjet, just for the reason I really don't like
    > b&w images on color paper. Inkjet will give a more archival life
    > expectancy anyway.
    > Just my opinion,
    > Tom

    Thanks, I'll probably give it a try with a local printer.

    Eric Miller

    Eric Miller, Jan 29, 2008
  9. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    > It
    > is also probably not going to be as sharp as someone who is using and is
    > good at using a Large format camera printed at that size. There will be
    > competition doing so with better imagery. Of course it all depends on
    > the buyer as stated.

    Maybe so, but that image is a stitch of 4 portrait oriented shots from a
    Canon 5D so there really are a lot of pixels to work with.

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com

    Eric Miller, Jan 29, 2008
  10. Eric Miller

    ____ Guest

    In article <soNnj.75642$>,
    Eric Miller <> wrote:

    > > It
    > > is also probably not going to be as sharp as someone who is using and is
    > > good at using a Large format camera printed at that size. There will be
    > > competition doing so with better imagery. Of course it all depends on
    > > the buyer as stated.
    > >

    > Maybe so, but that image is a stitch of 4 portrait oriented shots from a
    > Canon 5D so there really are a lot of pixels to work with.
    >
    > Eric Miller
    > www.dyesscreek.com

    If its stitched it may be sharper. It just lacks a dramatic sky and
    maybe some foreground interest.....then it would be a more salable shot.

    --
    Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.

    ____, Jan 29, 2008
  11. Eric Miller

    Allen Guest

    Eric Miller wrote:
    > I don't generally sell photos, but I will be offering three prints for
    > sale at an upcoming art show.
    >
    > The following image will be 16x25 inches and custom framed (for about
    > $125 framing cost):
    >
    > <http://www.dyesscreek.com/galleries/index.php?display=travel%2Fcanadian_rockies_2007%2F2106573-9b19d126f0709a94.jpg>
    >

    > The following two images will be printed at 11x14 and framed in wooden
    > frames:
    >
    > <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_3061.jpg>
    >
    > <http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds/index.php?display=hummingbirds%2F_MG_3242.jpg>
    >

    > The prints will likely be lightjet prints. I am trying to figure out
    > what price to charge. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Eric Miller
    > www.dyesscreek.com

    I can't give you help on your question, but your pictures make me lust
    for a 5D (and the talent to get pictures like these.
    Allen

    Allen, Jan 30, 2008
  12. Eric Miller

    ____ Guest

    In article <479fd246$0$30717$>,
    Allen <> wrote:

    > I can't give you help on your question, but your pictures make me lust
    > for a 5D (and the talent to get pictures like these.
    > Allen

    Maybe you should just pay someone else it will be cheaper, and less work
    understanding that complicated camera ;)

    --
    Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.

    ____, Jan 30, 2008
  13. Eric Miller

    Allen Guest

    ____ wrote:
    > In article <479fd246$0$30717$>,
    > Allen <> wrote:
    >
    >> I can't give you help on your question, but your pictures make me lust
    >> for a 5D (and the talent to get pictures like these.
    >> Allen

    > Maybe you should just pay someone else it will be cheaper, and less work
    > understanding that complicated camera ;)

    Maybe you should not prejudge a person's level of intelligence; don't
    assume that everyone is as incompetent as you. I would be happy to match
    my IQ, technical skills and photographic experience with you, but that
    wouldn't be possible, considering that I won't be seeing any more of
    your idiotic posts.
    Allen

    Allen, Jan 30, 2008