What port does Windows update use??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mutley, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    I went to run Windows update this week and found that it hangs when
    it goes to check for updates.

    I first thought this was caused by my firewall so I turned it off.
    This gave an error message but there was no info on the MS site about
    it.

    I reinstalled IE5.5 but that didn't help. I don't use IE so if it was
    faulty I didn't know.

    I change my ADSL router back to my old Dynalink RT200 and it worked
    fine.

    Put back on my DSE 1149 and it was blocked again.

    The only ports I have open on the RT200 which are not open on the DSE
    are 80 and 81 and these point to my email server not my PC.

    After I downloaded the files it took 3 hours for them to be installed.
    The 1st 50% went fast but the last 50% was like watching paint dry.

    Any ideas??

    TIA

    Mutley, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Mutley

    Jay Guest

    80

    Jay, Dec 22, 2004

  3. Mutley

    Jay Guest

    80

    Jay, Dec 22, 2004
  4. Mutley

    Mutlley Guest

    "Jay" <nospam@*here.com> wrote:

    >80
    >
    >"Mutley" <> wrote in message
    >>I went to run Windows update this week and found that it hangs when
    >> it goes to check for updates.
    >>
    >> I first thought this was caused by my firewall so I turned it off.
    >> This gave an error message but there was no info on the MS site about
    >> it.
    >>
    >> I reinstalled IE5.5 but that didn't help. I don't use IE so if it was
    >> faulty I didn't know.
    >>
    >> I change my ADSL router back to my old Dynalink RT200 and it worked
    >> fine.
    >>
    >> Put back on my DSE 1149 and it was blocked again.
    >>
    >> The only ports I have open on the RT200 which are not open on the DSE
    >> are 80 and 81 and these point to my email server not my PC.
    >>
    >> After I downloaded the files it took 3 hours for them to be installed.
    >> The 1st 50% went fast but the last 50% was like watching paint dry.
    >>
    >> Any ideas??
    >>
    >> TIA

    Thanx..

    Mutlley, Dec 22, 2004
  5. Mutley

    Mutlley Guest

    "Jay" <nospam@*here.com> wrote:

    >80
    >
    >"Mutley" <> wrote in message
    >>I went to run Windows update this week and found that it hangs when
    >> it goes to check for updates.
    >>
    >> I first thought this was caused by my firewall so I turned it off.
    >> This gave an error message but there was no info on the MS site about
    >> it.
    >>
    >> I reinstalled IE5.5 but that didn't help. I don't use IE so if it was
    >> faulty I didn't know.
    >>
    >> I change my ADSL router back to my old Dynalink RT200 and it worked
    >> fine.
    >>
    >> Put back on my DSE 1149 and it was blocked again.
    >>
    >> The only ports I have open on the RT200 which are not open on the DSE
    >> are 80 and 81 and these point to my email server not my PC.
    >>
    >> After I downloaded the files it took 3 hours for them to be installed.
    >> The 1st 50% went fast but the last 50% was like watching paint dry.
    >>
    >> Any ideas??
    >>
    >> TIA

    Thanx..

    Mutlley, Dec 22, 2004