    Cheers

    Nik
    , Nov 3, 2005

  2. Ace Guest

    B&H Photo. bhphotovideo.com

    Bob AZ
    Ace, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Zed Pobre Guest

    <> wrote:
    > I've decided I want a circular polarizing filter for my Canon 20D. Now,
    > I wonder how much I should expect to pay for it? I mean, I can buy it
    > from my photo shop for ~$130 and I can buy it on eBay for ~$8 to take
    > the extremes. What should I be looking for when buying one? When is it
    > more than good enough? I'm going to use it with a Tamron 28-70 f/2.8
    > lens, so I'm not worried about spending some to get great value, but I
    > don't want to be throwing away my money either.

    Low-cost polarizers are literally worse than useless. I bought a
    couple Tiffens (one in 58mm and one in 67mm) and have regretted it
    ever since my first outing with them. They had massive flare issues
    that ruined a large number of shots. This has been consistent just
    about every time I've put them on. They're in a box on a shelf
    somewhere now.

    You want something multicoated and high quality. Both B+W and Hoya
    make good multicoated polarizers -- but make sure you *do* get one of
    their multicoated ones, as at least Hoya makes a cheap variety as
    well. Expect to pay >US$100.

    Also, make sure you own a lens hood.

    --
    Zed Pobre <> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <>
    PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.
    Zed Pobre, Nov 4, 2005
  4. [BnH] Guest

    Since you are using a 20D , vignetting will not be a huge issue as the
    sensor crop your lens input straightaway.
    AFAIK get ones that is quite reasonably priced.

    $130 .. is that a B+W Krasmer CPL ? well if you want to spend that much , by
    all means . .spend it.
    All the people who bought that filter never regreted their purchase [or too
    ashamed to stand up and say " I paid too much " :D ]

    Nikon CPL is also a good one, also Hoya Super HMC range or the Digital
    optimised filters.

    For me, my lowly Hoya C-PL still does the job very well :D [around USD 50 in
    eBAY]

    =bob=

    [BnH], Nov 4, 2005
  5. Bob Salomon Guest

    In article
    <436b2084$0$1743$>,
    "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote:

    > Since you are using a 20D , vignetting will not be a huge issue as the
    > sensor crop your lens input straightaway.
    > AFAIK get ones that is quite reasonably priced.
    >
    > $130 .. is that a B+W Krasmer CPL ? well if you want to spend that much , by
    > all means . .spend it.
    > All the people who bought that filter never regreted their purchase [or too
    > ashamed to stand up and say " I paid too much " :D ]
    >
    > Nikon CPL is also a good one, also Hoya Super HMC range or the Digital
    > optimised filters.
    >
    > For me, my lowly Hoya C-PL still does the job very well :D [around USD 50 in
    > eBAY]
    >
    > =bob=
    >

    > "" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > > I've decided I want a circular polarizing filter for my Canon 20D. Now,
    > > I wonder how much I should expect to pay for it? I mean, I can buy it
    > > from my photo shop for ~$130 and I can buy it on eBay for ~$8 to take
    > > the extremes. What should I be looking for when buying one? When is it
    > > more than good enough? I'm going to use it with a Tamron 28-70 f/2.8
    > > lens, so I'm not worried about spending some to get great value, but I
    > > don't want to be throwing away my money either.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > Nik

    You can't do any better then the Heliopan SH-PMC MC slim or standard
    polarizer.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Nov 4, 2005
  6. Jim Guest

    On 2005-11-03 17:21:24 -0500, ""
    <> said:

    > Hello,
    > I've decided I want a circular polarizing filter for my Canon 20D. Now,
    > I wonder how much I should expect to pay for it? I mean, I can buy it
    > from my photo shop for ~$130 and I can buy it on eBay for ~$8 to take
    > the extremes. What should I be looking for when buying one? When is it
    > more than good enough? I'm going to use it with a Tamron 28-70 f/2.8
    > lens, so I'm not worried about spending some to get great value, but I
    > don't want to be throwing away my money either.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Nik

    Depends on much you use it and the lens it is going on. I buy
    expensive thin filters for my wide angle film lenses, and Heliopans or
    B&W for my normal filters (ie UV's) which I use all the time.

    That being said, my 62 mm Polarizer which I bough for my Nikon f2.8
    20mm is a Heliopan.. but it is very thin, as this lens will vignette if
    you put too much in front of it. A normal thickness UV will vignette.
    So, the thinnest I could find was the Heliopan. OUCH! For my Nikon
    80-200 F2.8 I bought a Tiffen (i hear the laughter and guffaa''s ).
    As much as the 62 mm was hit, the Heliopan 77mm for the 80/200 was just
    insane (like more than my flash...almost as much as my 18-70 4.5 lens)
    .. The B&W's were marginally insane (in my wife's eye, still totally
    insane :) ) The Tiffen works fine on this lens.. no flare, no issues
    what so ever. Both of these lenses are razor sharp, and I notice no
    derogatory effects by either filter. I have Hoya filters, mostly for
    my older 52mm thread manual lenses. The Hoya circular (non SMC) and
    the 1B (SMC) and UV's (Non SMC) work fine. PITA too clean those SMC
    filters though.

    I would test a normal Hoya or Tiffen (at least to test for vignetting
    problems) and make your decision then. How much will use it, and can
    you withstand laughter from the geeks!, and how flush is the wallet
    this week.

    My comment? I think filter prices are totally out of whack! Think of
    the price in realtion to inexpensive lenses, one peice of glass,
    several, plus mechnicals in the lens. good grief, I can buy a
    inexpensive SLR body for less than some filters!

    --
    Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo
    Jim, Nov 4, 2005
  7. Jeremy Guest

    <Jim> wrote in message news:2005110418204877923%@newsgroups.comcast.net...
    > I have Hoya filters, mostly for my older 52mm thread manual lenses. The
    > Hoya circular (non SMC) and the 1B (SMC) and UV's (Non SMC) work fine.
    > PITA too clean those SMC filters though.

    What is sometimes not known is that Hoya makes a number of different grades
    of filters. Unsuspecting buyers may think they are buying a quality filter,
    simply by virtue of the name Hoya on the package. This retailer has a very
    informative web site:

    http://www.2filter.com/welcometo.html
    Jeremy, Nov 5, 2005