  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    What do you all consider to be the best photo software?

    Rob, May 18, 2005

  2. Rob

    dylan Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    news:428b423c$...
    > What do you all consider to be the best photo software?

    Depends what you include in 'best' eg features, cost etc.

    I'm happy with Paint Shop Pro, doesn't do everything but most things I need
    and can be bought fairly cheaply.
    Add to that NeatImage for removing noise and a panoramic stitching program,
    I use Panavue Image assembler and I can do most things I want.

    Abode Photoshop CS2 seems to be the 'pro' one and it's cheaper versions seem
    to be popular

    dylan, May 18, 2005

  3. Photoshop CS2 for image manipulation, ThumbsPlus for catalogue / database -
    use.

    Väinö Louekari

    Väinö Louekari, May 18, 2005
  4. Rob

    John DH Guest

    CS or CS2. No compromise

    The GIMP. Free

    John D

    John DH, May 18, 2005
  5. "Rob" <> writes:

    > What do you all consider to be the best photo software?

    "Best" is such a troublesome word!

    Photoshop is the clear leader for professional use. It's clearly
    *not* the leader for price-performance; that niche is unambiguously
    reserved for GIMP (free software). Photoshop Elements brings the
    price down a lot and mostly doesn't hit the features too hard --
    unless you like adjustment layers, like me. Paint Shop Pro is well
    liked by some users, and is in the Elements price range. Picture
    Window Pro from Digital Light and Color has better curve adjustment,
    better overall color correction, better local color correction, and
    better perspective adjustment than any of the above, and is cheap, but
    doesn't do layers at all, not even plain layers.

    Currently I use Photoshop CS most. I made more use of Picture Window
    Pro when I only had Photoshop 5.5 (didn't do 16-bit adjustment layers,
    for one thing, and didn't have the Camera Raw plugin). I only used
    Paint Shop Pro when it was the only graphic tool I could get at work
    (GIMP wasn't much use that long ago, or maybe didn't exist at all). I
    wouldn't claim that my preferences are right for everybody, though.

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 20, 2005
  6. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Thanks for your views :)

    I have seen a lot of ads on the dreaded ebay for photoshop software, and i
    feel a large(if not all) percentage is fake.

    <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>

    Rob, May 20, 2005
  7. "Rob" <> writes:

    > Thanks for your views :)
    >
    > I have seen a lot of ads on the dreaded ebay for photoshop software, and i
    > feel a large(if not all) percentage is fake.

    Certainly most of the ones too good to be believed are, anyway.

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 21, 2005
  8. Rob

    Jeremy Guest

    "dylan" <> wrote in message

    > I'm happy with Paint Shop Pro, doesn't do everything but most things I
    > need and can be bought fairly cheaply.

    I, too, use PSP, but now that Corel has bought it from Jasc, it may be only
    a matter of time before they screw it up.

    If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone with PhotoShop Elements, to
    provide a learning curve that would lead up to the full-blown PhotoShop, if
    the upgrade was appropriate for me.

    But, in fairness to PSP, I must admit that their proprietary "Clarify"
    filter does add a dramatic sense of depth, almost a 3-D appearance, to an
    image and I do not believe that any other editing software, including PS,
    offers an equivalent.

    Jeremy, May 21, 2005
  9. Rob

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > "dylan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm happy with Paint Shop Pro, doesn't do everything but most things I
    >>need and can be bought fairly cheaply.

    > I, too, use PSP, but now that Corel has bought it from Jasc, it may be only
    > a matter of time before they screw it up.
    >
    > If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone with PhotoShop Elements, to
    > provide a learning curve that would lead up to the full-blown PhotoShop, if
    > the upgrade was appropriate for me.
    >
    > But, in fairness to PSP, I must admit that their proprietary "Clarify"
    > filter does add a dramatic sense of depth, almost a 3-D appearance, to an
    > image and I do not believe that any other editing software, including PS,
    > offers an equivalent.

    At the moment, PSE3 can be found at discount stores at under $55 (USD).

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 22, 2005