    Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I just
    wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?

    Any thoughts?

    News, May 27, 2005

  2. News

    Guest

    On "News" <> wrote:

    |>Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I just
    |>wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?

    I still use it, but I also dual boot to XP; does that count?

    --
    http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

    , May 27, 2005

  3. News

    Old Gringo Guest

    News wrote:
    > Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I just
    > wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    A lot, which I am one. Win95 is still ticking out there also.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, May 27, 2005
  4. News

    News Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On "News" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I
    > just
    > |>wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
    >
    > I still use it, but I also dual boot to XP; does that count?
    >
    > --
    > http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

    Well I just wondered really, also it is really a question which asks how
    useful is older PC's and are they able to be still relevant for much use or
    has windows xp and the faster pc made them somewhat obsolte for all intense
    purposes.

    News, May 27, 2005
  5. News

    News Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > News wrote:
    >> Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I
    >> just wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    > A lot, which I am one. Win95 is still ticking out there also.

    Windows 95? I thought the issues were that windows 95 just does not work
    with much anything anymore? Could you still use it to surf the web properly?
    Would the latest browsers work on it?

    News, May 27, 2005
  6. News

    Guest

    On "News" <> wrote:

    |><> wrote in message

    |>> just
    |>>
    |>> I still use it, but I also dual boot to XP; does that count?

    |>Well I just wondered really, also it is really a question which asks how
    |>useful is older PC's and are they able to be still relevant for much use or
    |>has windows xp and the faster pc made them somewhat obsolte for all intense
    |>purposes.

    In no way obsolete, Win2000 runs just fine on an older machine and
    it's basically XP without the bells and whistles. Linux is also a good
    choice for an older machine.

    Nothing wrong with Win98 either, I still play the old DOS games
    http://www.abandonia.com/index2.php and it's just easier on 98.

    --
    http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

    , May 27, 2005
  7. News

    Old Gringo Guest

    News wrote:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>News wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I
    >>>just wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
    >>>
    >>>Any thoughts?

    >>A lot, which I am one. Win95 is still ticking out there also.

    > Windows 95? I thought the issues were that windows 95 just does not work
    > with much anything anymore? Could you still use it to surf the web properly?
    > Would the latest browsers work on it?
    >
    >>--
    >>Old Gringo George
    >>Magic Weaver Of Life
    >>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-Industries.com>

    Not sure about what will work on Win95 anymore but I know I am
    running out of choices. Going to try and make it another year until
    Longhorn comes out.

    Old Gringo, May 27, 2005
  8. News

    News Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > News wrote:
    >> "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message

    >>>A lot, which I am one. Win95 is still ticking out there also.

    >> Windows 95? I thought the issues were that windows 95 just does not work
    >> with much anything anymore? Could you still use it to surf the web
    >> properly? Would the latest browsers work on it?
    >>
    >>>--
    >>>Old Gringo George
    >>>Magic Weaver Of Life
    >>>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>>Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-Industries.com>

    > Not sure about what will work on Win95 anymore but I know I am running out
    > of choices. Going to try and make it another year until Longhorn comes
    > out.

    I actually used to think why bother waiting, in fact I can clearly remember
    someone telling me that windows xp was nothing special compared to 98 except
    for few fancy bells and whiltles, but in fact since having xp I realise the
    huge difference. For me its the stability factor, plus xp was combined with
    a bigger pc which might help.

    Its just so stable! No crashes. From what I have read, it is basically the
    NT system/ or file system (not exactly sure) but its similar to windows 2000
    and not very similar to the 98 family and much improved reliability.

    I have not worked with linux, but I gather that linux is having this
    "reliablity" thing. The windows 98 used to irk me so much because things
    were allways going wrong, just lots of little annoying things, like this or
    that was allways not functioning correctly or so it seemed.

    News, May 27, 2005
  9. News wrote:

    ><> wrote in message

    >> just

    >> I still use it, but I also dual boot to XP; does that count?

    >> --
    >> http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

    > Well I just wondered really, also it is really a question which asks how
    > useful is older PC's and are they able to be still relevant for much use or
    > has windows xp and the faster pc made them somewhat obsolte for all intense
    > purposes.

    What purposes do you consider intense?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 27, 2005
  10. News wrote:

    > I actually used to think why bother waiting, in fact I can clearly
    > remember someone telling me that windows xp was nothing special
    > compared to 98 except for few fancy bells and whiltles, but in fact
    > since having xp I realise the huge difference. For me its the
    > stability factor, plus xp was combined with a bigger pc which might
    > help.

    Mine (and I don't use XP) is 18" x 16" x 8" (46cm x 41cm x 20cm).

    How big is yours?

    --
    Blinky T. "38 liters / 10 gallons" Shark

    Blinky the Shark, May 27, 2005
  11. News

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Mine (and I don't use XP) is 18" x 16" x 8" (46cm x 41cm x 20cm).
    >
    > How big is yours?

    Is that with or without the vent in the dent of the stent?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 27, 2005
  12. News

    gangle Guest

    "News" wrote
    > Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I just
    > wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    98SE is H O T !!!
    XP is for derelicts and goomers.

    Typical 98SE user:
    http://tinyurl.com/2pzej

    Typical XP user:
    http://tinyurl.com/83yc8

    gangle, May 27, 2005
  13. Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Mine (and I don't use XP) is 18" x 16" x 8" (46cm x 41cm x 20cm).

    >> How big is yours?

    > Is that with or without the vent in the dent of the stent?

    That's on a cable; it doesn't count. I simply have a ten-gallon
    computer. Sounds Texan. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 27, 2005
  14. News

    Pat Guest

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 02:54:05 +0100, "News" <> wrote:

    >Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I just
    >wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
    >
    >Any thoughts?

    W98 1st ed here. I ran 3.1 until 1998 finally going to 98. I really don't
    want to change. Eventually, I'll want SW that won't run on 98 then I'll make
    the change. I still use a lot of DOS programs and I'm not sure XP and later
    Windows OS's will support them. I guess I'll dual boot when the time comes.
    I dread it.

    Pat, May 27, 2005
  15. News

    Guest

    , May 27, 2005
  16. News

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Oldus Fartus wrote:
    >

    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>>Mine (and I don't use XP) is 18" x 16" x 8" (46cm x 41cm x 20cm).

    >>>How big is yours?

    >>Is that with or without the vent in the dent of the stent?

    > That's on a cable; it doesn't count. I simply have a ten-gallon
    > computer. Sounds Texan. :)

    Why not call it 37,720cc - sounds bigger, and much more impressive.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, May 27, 2005
  17. Oldus Fartus wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Oldus Fartus wrote:

    >>>Is that with or without the vent in the dent of the stent?

    >> That's on a cable; it doesn't count. I simply have a ten-gallon
    >> computer. Sounds Texan. :)

    > Why not call it 37,720cc - sounds bigger, and much more impressive.

    Thinking along those lines, I did rather like the 38-litre figure. I
    also published. That's 19 x my car engine. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 27, 2005
  18. News

    joevan Guest

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 02:39:58 GMT, Old Gringo
    <> wrote:

    >Not sure about what will work on Win95 anymore but I know I am
    >running out of choices. Going to try and make it another year until
    >Longhorn comes out.
    >
    >--
    >Old Gringo George
    >Magic Weaver Of Life
    >Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

    If you lived a bit closer to Phila. I could give you my beta Longhorn
    disk. Once set up it expires in 180 days but you could check it out in
    that time. LOL
    I guess that is kind of useless, but I mean what worth much is Msoft
    going to give away?

    and for the same reason."

    joevan, May 27, 2005
  19. News

    Old Gringo Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 May 2005 02:39:58 GMT, Old Gringo
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Not sure about what will work on Win95 anymore but I know I am
    >>running out of choices. Going to try and make it another year until
    >>Longhorn comes out.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Old Gringo George
    >>Magic Weaver Of Life
    >>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

    > If you lived a bit closer to Phila. I could give you my beta Longhorn
    > disk. Once set up it expires in 180 days but you could check it out in
    > that time. LOL
    > I guess that is kind of useless, but I mean what worth much is Msoft
    > going to give away?

    Wow, I had no idea they were that close. What do you think of it?

    Old Gringo, May 27, 2005
  20. News

    elaich Guest

    "News" <> wrote in

    > Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and
    > I just wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?

    I used ME for 5 years and migrated to 2000. 98SE is a slow, stupid OS.
    Tweak ME to get around a few issues and it'll blow 98's doors off.

    I mainly switched to 2000 because more and more software these days is not
    supporting Windows 9x. 2000 is fast and stable and does not phone home like
    XP does.

    --
    "No sports writers were harmed during the making of this post. And what I
    want to know is - why not?"

    elaich, May 27, 2005