What part of this network to look at first? Losing connections.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DeanB, Sep 9, 2009.

  1. DeanB

    DeanB Guest

    Hi,

    I have a cable modem -> WRT54G router -> Cisco 24 port switch.

    Attached to the switch are 3 cameras and an FTP server (PC). There is
    also one camera that is wireless. All the cameras FTP an image once
    per second to the FTP server.

    About once or twice a week, some of the cameras drop the connection
    and stop FTPing, and I cannot access the camera from a PC. It not the
    same cameras (and the cameras are all different, but all Panasonics).

    What can I do to diagnose this issue? The router is my DHCP server,
    but all of the cameras and hardware use static IP addresses.

    I feel I should buy a new router and try it for a while. But any
    advice would be great. Do the cameras ever need to go through the
    router, once the first connection is made?

    Cheers,

    Dean

    DeanB, Sep 9, 2009

  2. DeanB

    1PW Guest

    DeanB wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a cable modem -> WRT54G router -> Cisco 24 port switch.
    >
    > Attached to the switch are 3 cameras and an FTP server (PC). There is
    > also one camera that is wireless. All the cameras FTP an image once
    > per second to the FTP server.
    >
    > About once or twice a week, some of the cameras drop the connection
    > and stop FTPing, and I cannot access the camera from a PC. It not the
    > same cameras (and the cameras are all different, but all Panasonics).
    >
    > What can I do to diagnose this issue? The router is my DHCP server,
    > but all of the cameras and hardware use static IP addresses.
    >
    > I feel I should buy a new router and try it for a while. But any
    > advice would be great. Do the cameras ever need to go through the
    > router, once the first connection is made?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Dean

    Hello Dean:

    Why do you need the switch if all you have are supporting a total devices?

    What is the exact model /and/ version off the router's sticker?

    What version software are you running in the router?

    Is it possible that when IP address comes up for DHCP renewal that is
    when the various devices drop?

    --
    1PW

    1PW, Sep 9, 2009

  3. DeanB

    Mike Easter Guest

    DeanB wrote:

    > I have a cable modem -> WRT54G router -> Cisco 24 port switch.

    > I feel I should buy a new router and try it for a while. But any
    > advice would be great.

    Sometimes a router will misbehave and need to have its firmware flashed
    to correct the misbehavior. The wrt54g support page is here:

    http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT54G/download Wireless-G
    BroadBand Router - WRT54G
    Downloads and Drivers - Please ensure you select the correct version as
    not all downloads are compatible with your device. - Free Software
    notice for certain products, click here.

    If my troubleshooting indicated that my router was misbehaving, I would
    flash its firmware before I replaced it.

    I'm sure Cisco must make a lot of different models of 24 port switches
    which also have firmware.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 9, 2009
  4. DeanB

    DeanB Guest

    On Sep 9, 10:51 am, 1PW <> wrote:
    > DeanB wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I have a cable modem -> WRT54G router -> Cisco 24 port switch.

    > > Attached to the switch are 3 cameras and an FTP server (PC). There is
    > > also one camera that is wireless. All the cameras FTP an image once
    > > per second to the FTP server.

    > > About once or twice a week, some of the cameras drop the connection
    > > and stop FTPing, and I cannot access the camera from a PC. It not the
    > > same cameras (and the cameras are all different, but all Panasonics).

    > > What can I do to diagnose this issue? The router is my DHCP server,
    > > but all of the cameras and hardware use static IP addresses.

    > > I feel I should buy a new router and try it for a while. But any
    > > advice would be great. Do the cameras ever need to go through the
    > > router, once the first connection is made?

    > > Cheers,

    > > Dean

    > Hello Dean:
    >
    > Why do you need the switch if all you have are supporting a total devices?
    >
    > What is the exact model /and/ version off the router's sticker?
    >
    > What version software are you running in the router?
    >
    > Is it possible that when IP address comes up for DHCP renewal that is
    > when the various devices drop?
    >
    > --
    > 1PW- Hide quoted text -

    The switch is wired to most of the rooms of the house. So the cameras
    plug in to the room jacks.

    Sorry I am not at home so I cannot read the sticker.

    How often do IP addresses come up for renewal? All of the hardware in
    question has static IPs, so presumably they don't get renewed.

    DeanB, Sep 9, 2009
  5. DeanB

    DeanB Guest

    On Sep 9, 11:31 am, Pit Bull Dog <> wrote:
    > DeanB wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I have a cable modem -> WRT54G router -> Cisco 24 port switch.

    > > Attached to the switch are 3 cameras and an FTP server (PC). There is
    > > also one camera that is wireless. All the cameras FTP an image once
    > > per second to the FTP server.

    > > About once or twice a week, some of the cameras drop the connection
    > > and stop FTPing, and I cannot access the camera from a PC. It not the
    > > same cameras (and the cameras are all different, but all Panasonics).

    > > What can I do to diagnose this issue? The router is my DHCP server,
    > > but all of the cameras and hardware use static IP addresses.

    > > I feel I should buy a new router and try it for a while. But any
    > > advice would be great. Do the cameras ever need to go through the
    > > router, once the first connection is made?

    > 1) do a hard reset of the router and see what happens.
    > 2) flash the router with its firmware and see what happens.- Hide quoted text -

    If a hard reset is unplugging it, I have done that many times.

    I'll update the firmware tonight. Give me a week to report back any
    issues.

    Thanks!

    DeanB, Sep 9, 2009
  6. DeanB

    John Holmes Guest

    DeanB "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Sep 9, 10:51 am, 1PW <> wrote:
    >> DeanB wrote:
    >> > Hi,

    >> > I have a cable modem -> WRT54G router -> Cisco 24 port switch.

    >> > Attached to the switch are 3 cameras and an FTP server (PC). There
    >> > is also one camera that is wireless. All the cameras FTP an image
    >> > once per second to the FTP server.

    >> > About once or twice a week, some of the cameras drop the connection
    >> > and stop FTPing, and I cannot access the camera from a PC. It not
    >> > the same cameras (and the cameras are all different, but all
    >> > Panasonics).

    >> > What can I do to diagnose this issue? The router is my DHCP server,
    >> > but all of the cameras and hardware use static IP addresses.

    >> > I feel I should buy a new router and try it for a while. But any
    >> > advice would be great. Do the cameras ever need to go through the
    >> > router, once the first connection is made?

    >> > Cheers,

    >> > Dean

    >> Hello Dean:
    >>
    >> Why do you need the switch if all you have are supporting a total
    >> devices

    > ?
    >>
    >> What is the exact model /and/ version off the router's sticker?
    >>
    >> What version software are you running in the router?
    >>
    >> Is it possible that when IP address comes up for DHCP renewal that is
    >> when the various devices drop?
    >>
    >> --
    >> 1PW- Hide quoted text -

    > The switch is wired to most of the rooms of the house. So the cameras
    > plug in to the room jacks.
    >
    > Sorry I am not at home so I cannot read the sticker.
    >
    > How often do IP addresses come up for renewal? All of the hardware in
    > question has static IPs, so presumably they don't get renewed.

    If all(?) your hardware have static IP addresses, then turn off the DHCP
    server. I suspect that there is some device within the network aquiring a
    dynamic IP, which then conflicts with some of the static addresses.

    HTH

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Sep 9, 2009
  7. DeanB

    DeanB Guest

    On Sep 9, 1:32 pm, John Holmes <> wrote:
    > DeanB "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > >> Hello Dean:

    > >> Why do you need the switch if all you have are supporting a total
    > >> devices

    > > ?

    > >> What is the exact model /and/ version off the router's sticker?

    > >> What version software are you running in the router?

    > >> Is it possible that when IP address comes up for DHCP renewal that is
    > >> when the various devices drop?

    > >> --
    > >> 1PW- Hide quoted text -

    > > The switch is wired to most of the rooms of the house. So the cameras
    > > plug in to the room jacks.

    > > Sorry I am not at home so I cannot read the sticker.

    > > How often do IP addresses come up for renewal? All of the hardware in
    > > question has static IPs, so presumably they don't get renewed.

    > If all(?) your hardware have static IP addresses, then turn off the DHCP
    > server. I suspect that there is some device within the network aquiring a
    > dynamic IP, which then conflicts with some of the static addresses.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > <snip>- Hide quoted text -

    The static IPs do not overlap the dynamic DHCP range, unless I missed
    one somehow. But I will try this, its a good idea.

    DeanB, Sep 9, 2009
  8. DeanB

    Mike Easter Guest

    DeanB wrote:

    >> <snip>- Hide quoted text -

    How to use GG to reply to messages and properly trim and context.

    Click Reply. Highlight every line that you aren't directly replying to
    and delete all that. Place your reply directly under an empty line
    under the words you are replying.

    This is an illustration of how a trimmed contexted conversation looks:
    http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q3: Why shouldn't I quote the
    entire posting that I'm responding to?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 9, 2009
  9. DeanB

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 07:31:10 -0700 (PDT), DeanB wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a cable modem -> WRT54G router -> Cisco 24 port switch.

    As mentioned WRT54G has versions (sticker/web admin page), so do Cisco
    switches, login to switch and a show version, as well as the stickers.

    24 ports less likely to be the smaller SOHO versions, and unless you
    have a lot of money not a newer 2950/2960. How about a WS-2950G-24 , an
    2900XL series?

    >Attached to the switch are 3 cameras and an FTP server (PC). There is

    Plus links to other rooms / devices.

    >also one camera that is wireless. All the cameras FTP an image once
    >per second to the FTP server.
    >
    >About once or twice a week, some of the cameras drop the connection
    >and stop FTPing, and I cannot access the camera from a PC. It not the

    So what do you do to get it working again?

    Don't know the interface on the WRT54G, I flashed mine to DD-WRT
    straight out of the box, never used the vendor setup.

    Cisco switches have all sorts of diags, traffic bits/sec , 5 min
    averages, line up/down , protocol up/down, link up/down, error counters
    and a basic log

    show int status
    show int count err
    sh log

    as well as associated clear log, clear int count

    for 1 port FastEthernet 0/1,
    show int Fa0/1

    that has a last input / output timer. If it's counting up after the
    problem you will at least have a how long ago it happened.

    >same cameras (and the cameras are all different, but all Panasonics).

    Not a Panasonic issue?

    >What can I do to diagnose this issue? The router is my DHCP server,
    >but all of the cameras and hardware use static IP addresses.

    That's a good idea DHCP and static internally. Address ranges don't
    overlap?

    >I feel I should buy a new router and try it for a while. But any

    There is 1 test. Disconnect the switch, connect a PC directly to router
    and make sure that works. Then camera on the router, and so on. You make
    the setup simple and add back 1 bit at a time.

    >advice would be great. Do the cameras ever need to go through the
    >router, once the first connection is made?

    Yes, you would have set a gateway on the Camera (again no model / sw ver
    mentioned). Yes, when you reboot everything, less often after that. So
    why is it the router?

    >Cheers,
    >
    >Dean

    Me