    capabilities etc... The epson manual does not mention anything about what
    port mode to use so I presume it is not a problem but then again the manual
    and printer itself is pretty useless.

    old&new, Mar 1, 2006

  2. old&new

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "old&new" <old@new> wrote in news:44061bfb$:

    > What parallel port mode should I use when using a epson colour inkjet
    > printer or a colour scanner,

    Change the bios setting to ECP, it will use a DMA, and go faster, and use
    less CPU.
    You can always change back...
    Make sure the cable is good, old crap cables are crap.
    Once you have ECP going, go into device manager and tell the newly detected
    ECP port to use an IRQ.
    You should see a dramatic performance increase.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 2, 2006

  3. old&new

    Andy Simpson Guest

    old&new wrote:
    > What parallel port mode should I use when using a epson colour inkjet
    > printer or a colour scanner, I usually only use spp as I am using an hp
    > laserjet iii, will using spp cause any problems with the aforementioned
    > hardware, is it only a speed issue or could it muck up the colour
    > capabilities etc... The epson manual does not mention anything about what
    > port mode to use so I presume it is not a problem but then again the manual
    > and printer itself is pretty useless.

    Try EPP mode, you could also try ECP, although that mode requires a DMA
    Channel

    Andy Simpson, Mar 2, 2006
  4. old&new

    old&new Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "old&new" <old@new> wrote in news:44061bfb$:
    >

    > > What parallel port mode should I use when using a epson colour inkjet
    > > printer or a colour scanner,

    > Change the bios setting to ECP, it will use a DMA, and go faster, and use
    > less CPU.
    > You can always change back...
    > Make sure the cable is good, old crap cables are crap.
    > Once you have ECP going, go into device manager and tell the newly

    detected
    > ECP port to use an IRQ.
    > You should see a dramatic performance increase.
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    I changed to ecp+epp mode, would I be ebtter off just choosing ecp mode? As
    for the cable I don't know how good or bad it is. I think the scan is faster
    now but I am not sure and still can't do anything else on the computer while
    the scan is going on.

    old&new, Mar 2, 2006
  5. old&new

    old&new Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "old&new" <old@new> wrote in news:44061bfb$:
    >

    > > What parallel port mode should I use when using a epson colour inkjet
    > > printer or a colour scanner,

    > Change the bios setting to ECP, it will use a DMA, and go faster, and use
    > less CPU.
    > You can always change back...
    > Make sure the cable is good, old crap cables are crap.
    > Once you have ECP going, go into device manager and tell the newly

    detected
    > ECP port to use an IRQ.
    > You should see a dramatic performance increase.
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    sorry i meant to say thanks for that.

    old&new, Mar 2, 2006
  6. old&new

    old&new Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "old&new" <old@new> wrote in news:44061bfb$:
    >

    > > What parallel port mode should I use when using a epson colour inkjet
    > > printer or a colour scanner,

    > Change the bios setting to ECP, it will use a DMA, and go faster, and use
    > less CPU.
    > You can always change back...
    > Make sure the cable is good, old crap cables are crap.
    > Once you have ECP going, go into device manager and tell the newly

    detected
    > ECP port to use an IRQ.
    > You should see a dramatic performance increase.
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    A high quality(not 48 bit), 300dpi colour scan of a colour a4 page takes 65
    seconds on my acer 310p scanner which was made in 1998 and only goes to
    300dpi as far as I know. Now I am pretty sure it is faster than before I
    changed the port mode.

    old&new, Mar 2, 2006