What parallel port mode? Repost

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by old&new, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. old&new

    old&new Guest

    This is a repost of a thread that got interrupted by the problems on the
    clearnet newsgroup server, my replies were probably never seen because of
    this, if they have shown up now then they would have been missed by the
    relevant people.

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "old&new" <old@new> wrote in news:44061bfb$:
    >

    > > What parallel port mode should I use when using a epson colour inkjet
    > > printer or a colour scanner,

    > Change the bios setting to ECP, it will use a DMA, and go faster, and use
    > less CPU.
    > You can always change back...
    > Make sure the cable is good, old crap cables are crap.
    > Once you have ECP going, go into device manager and tell the newly

    detected
    > ECP port to use an IRQ.
    > You should see a dramatic performance increase.
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Thanks Dave, I changed to ecp+epp mode, would I be better off just choosing
    ecp mode? As
    for the cable I don't know how good or bad it is. I think the scan is faster
    now but I am not sure and still can't do anything else on the computer while
    the scan is going on.

    A high quality(not 48 bit), 300dpi colour scan of a colour a4 page takes 65
    seconds on my acer 310p scanner which was made in 1998 and only goes to
    300dpi. I am pretty sure now that it is faster than before I
    changed the port mode, thanks.
    old&new, Mar 7, 2006