What Paper for Epson 2200?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dperez@juno_nospam.com, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. OK, now that after a long, painful process I finally ordered anEpson 2200, what
    should I be doing for paper?

    I wind up printing a lot of sizes, including all the way up to 13 X 19.

    AND, I currently have a pretty large supply of paper I use in my Epson 1200. Is
    there ANY difference in the paper (this is all genuine Epson paper) I bought for
    the 1200 and the paper for the 2200? I mean in terms of longevity when used
    with the inks on the 2200?

    If there is, can people who've used these things recommend papers for color
    printing? B & W printing? Will I want different papers for the B & W than for
    the color? I don't USUALLY do prints on matte paper - I think this is a carry
    over from my darkroom days - I much preferred the way the pearl or semi-glossy
    paper looked rather than the matte paper. It just seemed like the blacks jumped
    out more and the highlights were brighter than on matte... BUT, I'm certainly
    willing to give it a try if someone recommends a matte paper that'll do a great
    job...

    So, given that I HOPEFULLY don't need to do anything bizarre like print on
    cardboard or silk or muslin, or whatever really odd things are out there, what
    papers have people had really good luck using with these printers?

    LIkewise, what papers have people found to cause problems - smearing ink,
    blotching, poor color, whatever...

    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Nov 14, 2003

  2. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    Sam Smith Guest

    I'd suggest using Epson paper...

    Sam Smith, Nov 14, 2003

  3. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    stanb Guest

    Not sure about the 2200 - but when I bought my 2100 it came with a sample
    pack of semigloss and matte paper - ( BTW get a matte black cartridge too)

    As to paper start with the epson Premium semigloss and archive matte ( or
    whatever its called in your part of the world )- also look up the printing
    forum on http://www.dpreview.com - You'll find all sorts of advice and
    experience with different papers there...

    apart from that You will like it - unless you're in a hurry!

    Good luck

    stanb, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Epsons tend to like Epson paper. You can try others, but most of the
    time, they just don't do well with other papers.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 14, 2003
  5. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: dperez@juno_nospam.com

    >I don't USUALLY do prints on matte paper - I think this is a carry
    >over from my darkroom days - I much preferred the way the pearl or
    >semi-glossy paper looked rather than the matte paper.

    You're in luck, the Premium Luster paper is excellent for the 2200. It's my
    favorite for portraits.

    >OK, now that after a long, painful process I finally ordered anEpson 2200,
    >what should I be doing for paper?

    Epson supports six papers with ICM profiles, three glossy or semi-gloss or
    luster papers that print with the photo black ink and three softer papers
    (matte, Velvet Fine Art and Watercolor - Radiant White) that print best with
    the matte black ink. What the hell, try 'em all and see which ones you like
    best. They include 2 or 3 flavors with the printer so you can try them out.

    >AND, I currently have a pretty large supply of paper I use in my Epson 1200.
    >Is there ANY difference in the paper (this is all genuine Epson paper) I

    bought
    >for the 1200 and the paper for the 2200?

    Yes, there are differences since the 1200 is a dye printer with inks that last
    about 2 years and the 2200 uses pigment inks that apply differently. Some of
    the 1200 papers might work but others won't absorb the ink quickly enough so it
    will get on the rollers as the print moves thru the feeder and then you'll have
    streaks on your next prints.

    >I mean in terms of longevity when used
    >with the inks on the 2200?

    Here are the longevity numbers --
    http://www.inkjetart.com/news/longevity/index.html If your papers aren't on
    this list you're not going to be certain how long they'll last.

    > what papers have people had really good luck using with these
    > printers?

    I really like Luster, Watercolor-RW, Premium Semigloss and Enhanced Matte,
    depending on what look I'm after and how much I want to spend on that print.
    The Velvet FA doesn't look as good to me as the Watercolor (I must have a bad
    profile or something) and the Premium Glossy Photo Paper tends to show the
    gloss differential in blacks a bit too much for my tastes. Shoot all six and
    decide for yourself.

    >LIkewise, what papers have people found to cause problems - smearing ink

    The ink smears only when you use the wrong paper type. Stick to the six Epson
    supports and pick the right setting in the driver window and you won't have a
    problem. Start using other papers and you'll need to guess the right setting
    for paper type or you'll get ink on the rollers.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 14, 2003
  6. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    DJC737 Guest

    I have listed several other sources below. I have used Red Rivers Glossy
    papers with both the 2000P and the 2200. I now use Legion Someset Enhance
    Velvet for my finished print and Epson Enhanced Matte for my work in
    progress images(cheaper cost but is very close to Someset Velvet in color).
    Many of these dealers have sample packs that give you a better idea of what
    is available. As Bill said, the lines are from the ink not drying. Some of
    the honest paper dealers will fess up to that if it is humid this might
    happen. Try opening the lid of the printer while it prints and shine an
    incadescent lamp on the image to dry it faster. Also a small fan works. Also
    uncheck any fast printing option. Slow is good. This is also more a problem
    with glossy papers were the ink lays on the surface. Matte papers suck the
    ink in fast and it dries much faster. Get some samples and have some fun.
    Dave

    http://www.digitalartsupplies.com/inarcan.html

    http://www.legionpaper.com/

    http://inkjetmall.com/

    http://www.redrivercatalog.com/

    http://www.mediastreet.com/

    DJC737, Nov 14, 2003
  7. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    Guest

    dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:
    > AND, I currently have a pretty large supply of paper I use in my Epson 1200. Is
    > there ANY difference in the paper (this is all genuine Epson paper) I bought for
    > the 1200 and the paper for the 2200? I mean in terms of longevity when used
    > with the inks on the 2200?

    > If there is, can people who've used these things recommend papers for color
    > printing? B & W printing? Will I want different papers for the B & W than for
    > the color? I don't USUALLY do prints on matte paper - I think this is a carry
    > over from my darkroom days - I much preferred the way the pearl or semi-glossy
    > paper looked rather than the matte paper. It just seemed like the blacks jumped
    > out more and the highlights were brighter than on matte... BUT, I'm certainly
    > willing to give it a try if someone recommends a matte paper that'll do a great
    > job...

    > So, given that I HOPEFULLY don't need to do anything bizarre like print on
    > cardboard or silk or muslin, or whatever really odd things are out there, what
    > papers have people had really good luck using with these printers?

    I am happy with Epson Matte Heavyweight paper, but it really boils down to a
    matter of personal taste. Stay away from glossy paper as it does not work as
    well as non-glossy paper for pigment based inks, but it always looks kind of
    cheap, at least to me.

    , Nov 14, 2003
  8. dperez@juno_nospam.com

    JR Guest

    Ilford smooth pearl, nearly identical to Epson premium luster at half
    the price...I love that stuff and it works great with my 2200. I use
    the premium luster setting on the epson profile. Ilford has an entire
    line dedicated to pigment inks....

    JR

    In article <>,

    JR, Nov 15, 2003
  9. Thanks for the info... Now I just need to find out which of my current Epson
    papers can be used on the 2200...

    I'll have to rummage around...

    dperez@juno_nospam.com, Nov 15, 2003