    problem.)

    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark C, Jul 28, 2010

  2. I ran win 2000 successfully on Toshiba Portege which had a modest CPU
    and not more that 256 RAM.
    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Jul 28, 2010

  3. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    > I have an old Toshiba laptop, running Windows NT Workstation, which
    > is misbehaving and may need an OS reinstalled.
    >
    > What OSs are likely to run OK on this 266MHz Pentium, 160MB RAM PC?
    >
    > Used for email, web-browsing, Remote Desktop
    >
    > I don't have install media for NT WS, so a different OS may be in
    > order.
    >
    > I read an article from MS that said XP ran at least as fast as W2K,
    > but probably while using more memory than I have.
    >
    > (MemTest86+ shows no problems, despite it feeling like a memory
    > problem.)

    I wouldn't run XP on that. Perhaps 2K?
    --
    Shaun.

    "Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates.
    ~misfit~, Jul 29, 2010
  4. Mark C

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    >> I have an old Toshiba laptop, running Windows NT Workstation, which
    >> is misbehaving and may need an OS reinstalled.
    >>
    >> What OSs are likely to run OK on this 266MHz Pentium, 160MB RAM PC?
    >>
    >> Used for email, web-browsing, Remote Desktop
    >>
    >> I don't have install media for NT WS, so a different OS may be in
    >> order.
    >>
    >> I read an article from MS that said XP ran at least as fast as W2K,
    >> but probably while using more memory than I have.
    >>
    >> (MemTest86+ shows no problems, despite it feeling like a memory
    >> problem.)

    > I wouldn't run XP on that. Perhaps 2K?
    > --

    TinyXP perhaps..
    Craig Sutton, Jul 30, 2010
  5. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Craig Sutton wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    >>> I have an old Toshiba laptop, running Windows NT Workstation, which
    >>> is misbehaving and may need an OS reinstalled.
    >>>
    >>> What OSs are likely to run OK on this 266MHz Pentium, 160MB RAM PC?
    >>>
    >>> Used for email, web-browsing, Remote Desktop
    >>>
    >>> I don't have install media for NT WS, so a different OS may be in
    >>> order.
    >>>
    >>> I read an article from MS that said XP ran at least as fast as W2K,
    >>> but probably while using more memory than I have.
    >>>
    >>> (MemTest86+ shows no problems, despite it feeling like a memory
    >>> problem.)

    >> I wouldn't run XP on that. Perhaps 2K?
    >> --
    >>

    > TinyXP perhaps..

    Perhaps, although my only experience with that several years ago wasn't
    great. (I think I ran out of patience.)

    ~misfit~, Aug 3, 2010
  6. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Mark C <> wrote in

    > I have an old Toshiba laptop, running Windows NT Workstation,
    > which is misbehaving and may need an OS reinstalled.

    Uninstalling Norton AntiVirus fixed it!

    NAV 5.0, from 1998, which amazingly has been updating weekly with new
    definitions since then, but for the last few mnonths the updates got
    larger and larger and the laptop got slower and slower and started to
    run out of memory (a memory leak). Only a little corruption to my
    login profile, thankfully...

    Thanks to all for the advice.
    Mark C, Aug 3, 2010
  7. Mark C

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
    > Mark C <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have an old Toshiba laptop, running Windows NT Workstation,
    >> which is misbehaving and may need an OS reinstalled.

    > Uninstalling Norton AntiVirus fixed it!
    >
    > NAV 5.0, from 1998, which amazingly has been updating weekly with new
    > definitions since then, but for the last few mnonths the updates got
    > larger and larger and the laptop got slower and slower and started to
    > run out of memory (a memory leak). Only a little corruption to my
    > login profile, thankfully...
    >
    > Thanks to all for the advice.

    Good to hear.

    I've fixed a few 'terminal' computers by uninstalling Norton AV over the
    years.

    ~misfit~, Aug 3, 2010
  8. Mark C

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Mark C <> wrote in news:4c4fcdd2$0$9333$c3e8da3
    @news.astraweb.com:

    > What OSs are likely to run OK on this 266MHz Pentium, 160MB RAM PC?

    Puppy Linux for next time...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 4, 2010