    cheep and Windows XP is very expensive, the computer is basic hardware but
    new, and I'm only going to use it for word processing and the internet. What
    should I do?
    room101, Jul 9, 2003

  2. room101

    paul s Guest

    paul s wrote:

    > room101 wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using a friends computer to post this, I have just received my newly
    >> built computer and as I don't have much money I head that Linux is very
    >> cheep and Windows XP is very expensive,

    > Well according to PCworld's web site, XP-Home full-version is £163, and
    > Linux distros start at £35. Linux can be downloaded off the net for
    > nothing. If you got the time and a nice fast connection. OEM versions of
    > XP can sometimes obtained from The All Formats Computer Fairs for about
    > £40

    PS.

    Some local dealers have been known to sell OEM copies of XP for a similar
    price. Have a look around.

    --
    Paul S
    paul s, Jul 10, 2003

  3. > I'm using a friends computer to post this, I have just received my newly
    > built computer and as I don't have much money I head that Linux is very
    > cheep and Windows XP is very expensive, the computer is basic hardware
    > but new, and I'm only going to use it for word processing and the
    > internet. What should I do?

    What do you want to use the computer for...

    Business, net, multimedia, networking, server, gaming, 3d Gaming, network
    gaming, internet, Graphics, word processing, Desktop publishing

    Or all of the above... :)

    Depends what you want to do with your PC... Linux is will meet most of your
    needs unless you want to play the latest games that are for Windows...
    Linux will run on most systems old and new.

    Windows will do all but as you know can be pricey.

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm
    Bebop & Rocksteady, Jul 10, 2003
  4. room101

    jda^fx Guest

    Another way to go is to buy a second hand copy of w2k. There is a lot
    a people who has converted to XP and will sell it for next to nothing.
    It's reliable, it doesn't take as much resources as XP, M$ is still
    updating it, and will run all you need exept games. w2k was never
    good at games.
    And then for the word processing go for Open Office wich is free.
    jda^fx

    jda^fx, Jul 10, 2003
  5. I've had some good luck with windows 95 and i'm thinking about upgrading to 95B
    someday.

    the real TOMMY Tutalidge, Jul 10, 2003
  6. Alexander Rogge, Jul 10, 2003
  7. room101

    Jimchip Guest

    On 10 Jul 2003 04:48:11 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > paul s wrote:
    >
    >> room101 wrote:

    >>> I'm using a friends computer to post this, I have just received my newly
    >>> built computer and as I don't have much money I head that Linux is very
    >>> cheep and Windows XP is very expensive,

    >> Well according to PCworld's web site, XP-Home full-version is £163, and
    >> Linux distros start at £35. Linux can be downloaded off the net for
    >> nothing. If you got the time and a nice fast connection. OEM versions of XP
    >> can sometimes obtained from The All Formats Computer Fairs for about £40

    > In between a long d/l if he has a dialup and that 35 pounds are the places
    > like cheapbytes.com:
    >
    > http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart
    >
    > Current Mandrake, for instance, is $7US.

    Another, cheapbytes-like source is
    UK Linux distros: http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)
    Jimchip, Jul 10, 2003
  8. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Wed, 9 Jul 2003 23:54:14
    +0100, room101 uttered this:

    <snip>
    >I'm only going to use it for word processing and the internet. What
    >should I do?

    I would suggest a linux distribution. Some distibutions, such as SuSE, come with
    a lot of applications "thrown in", including Open Office.
    I see you're in the UK, so you could try http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/ ; also
    http://www.cheeplinux.com/cat.pl?session_id=4a016a68&page=cl9
    Another cheap source is to get copies from ebaY, which is quite legal ( unlike a
    well known proprietry OS ).
    http://tinyurl.com/gim1

    --
    Linux user #305646.
    SuSE Linux Pro 8.2
    William Poaster, Jul 10, 2003
  9. room101

    paul s Guest

    jda^fx wrote:

    > Another way to go is to buy a second hand copy of w2k. There is a lot
    > a people who has converted to XP and will sell it for next to nothing.
    > It's reliable, it doesn't take as much resources as XP, M$ is still
    > updating it, and will run all you need exept games. w2k was never
    > good at games.

    I found Win-2000 Pro to be just as capable of running modern games, once
    DirectX8/9 was installed [1]. I even found Win Server 2003 to be a very
    capable games platform [2]. Now NT-4.0 is a different kettle-of-fish, no
    DirectX > 6.

    [1] Apparently the sound is more optimized on XP.

    [2] You have to enable full graphics accelaration, 3D, sound, and install
    DirectX. Servers not needing this stuff of course.

    > And then for the word processing go for Open Office wich is free.
    > jda^fx

    Agreed.

    http://www.openoffice.org

    --