What OS did Iran use? Stuxnet malware

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by RayLopez99, Dec 22, 2010.

  1. RayLopez99

    RayLopez99 Guest

    If they used Windows with the latest patches from Norton, arguably
    this would never have happened. But thank Allah for Linux and "virus
    free computing", LOL!

    RL

    http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News/Article.aspx?id=199475

    Last month, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the United
    Nation’s nuclear watchdog, said that Iran had suspended work at its
    nuclear-field production facilities, likely a result of the Stuxnet
    virus.

    According to Langer, Iran’s best move would be to throw out all of the
    computers that have been infected by the worm, which he said was the
    most “advanced and aggressive malware in history.” But, he said, even
    once all of the computers were thrown out, Iran would have to ensure
    that computers used by outside contractors were also clean of Stuxnet.

    “It is extremely difficult to clean up installations from Stuxnet, and
    we know that Iran is no good in IT [information technology] security,
    and they are just beginning to learn what this all means,” he said.
    “Just to get their systems running again they have to get rid of the
    virus, and this will take time, and then they need to replace the
    equipment, and they have to rebuild the centrifuges at Natanz and
    possibly buy a new turbine for Bushehr.”

    RayLopez99, Dec 22, 2010

  2. > “It is extremely difficult to clean up installations from Stuxnet, and
    > we know that Iran is no good in IT [information technology] security,
    > and they are just beginning to learn what this all means,†he said.
    > “Just to get their systems running again they have to get rid of the
    > virus, and this will take time, and then they need to replace the
    > equipment, and they have to rebuild the centrifuges at Natanz and
    > possibly buy a new turbine for Bushehr.â€

    Do they care about invisible things? I doubt it... except maybe their
    God. Bullets and bombs are more visible. :)

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.36.2

    Man-wai Chang, Dec 22, 2010

  3. Man-wai Chang wrote:
    >> “It is extremely difficult to clean up installations from Stuxnet, and
    >> we know that Iran is no good in IT [information technology] security,
    >> and they are just beginning to learn what this all means,†he said.
    >> “Just to get their systems running again they have to get rid of the
    >> virus, and this will take time, and then they need to replace the
    >> equipment, and they have to rebuild the centrifuges at Natanz and
    >> possibly buy a new turbine for Bushehr.â€

    > Do they care about invisible things? I doubt it... except maybe their
    > God. Bullets and bombs are more visible. :)

    You need to understand the situation. There is the mullahs, and the
    revolutionary guard, to whom all such things are profane, and then there
    is the legislature which really would love to get rid of the mullahs, so
    THEY could have the revolutionary guard, and do all the politically
    suitable things like blaming the Israelis for everything, including the
    Americans, and then there is the vast majority of the population who got
    pissed off with the Shah not being sensitive to their beliefs, and
    raking in oil money, so they whizzed him out and got someone they had
    never heard of and a theocracy instead.

    Apart from a certain nationalism, I am sure the people are only too
    happy to have the computers totally borked.

    the Mullahs neither know nor care.

    its the legislature that is involved in fomenting a war against the
    hated Jew, etc etc. etc. And the bomb is there to be waved at Tel Aviv.

    The Natural Philosopher, Dec 22, 2010
  4. FromTheRafters, Dec 22, 2010
  5. RayLopez99

    Peter Foldes Guest

    "RayLopez99" <> wrote in message

    >If they used Windows with the latest patches from Norton, arguably
    >this would never have happened. But thank Allah for Linux and "virus
    >free computing",

    Better smarten up Ray. Linux is vulnerable to virus and malware just as Windows and
    Mac is. Get the facts Ray. before putting your fingers to use as you did here

    One of many that is available
    http://www.vupen.com/english/linux-advisories/2

    --
    Peter
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Peter Foldes, Dec 22, 2010

    http://tinyurl.com/39zl3ar

    Ari Silverstein, Dec 22, 2010
  7. RayLopez99

    DASSFox Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:02:28 -0500, Ari Silverstein wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:57:13 -0500, John Fitzsimons wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 02:41:28 -0800 (PST), RayLopez99 wrote:
    >>
    >>> If they used Windows with the latest patches from Norton, arguably
    >>> this would never have happened. But thank Allah for Linux and "virus
    >>> free computing" and my IT advisor, pic below...

    >>> <http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/F0K/DX88/FCRT3ARC/F0KDX88FCRT3ARC.MEDIUM.jpg>

    >> Kewl!

    >> Do you have the link I posted on that health forum about my nuts?

    > http://tinyurl.com/39zl3ar

    Why are you two being such assholes, Ray's almost as smart as I am.

    Please don't get to technical if you don't have to, some of the
    readers might not understand, me included, LOL...

    THANKS
    --
    I am a TECH, I understand all things that are complex.
    Security Comes By Education, Not Tons Of Software! Maybe.

    DASSFox, Dec 22, 2010
  8. RayLopez99

    LunchBox Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:04:30 -0500, DASSFox wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:02:28 -0500, Ari Silverstein wrote:

    >>> Kewl!

    >>> Do you have the link I posted on that health forum about my nuts?

    >> http://tinyurl.com/39zl3ar

    > Why are you two being such assholes, Ray's almost as smart as I am.
    >
    > Please don't get to technical if you don't have to, some of the
    > readers might not understand, me included, LOL...
    >
    > THANKS

    Sometimes I honestly wish there was no Internet. It's made life,
    relationships, choices, trust, etc. so very complicated.

    Signed,

    Lunchturds
    ______________
    / \
    | WHAAAAAAAAAAA! |
    \__ _________/
    / ,'
    _.~._ /,'
    ,~'.~@~.`~.
    / : _..._ : \
    { :,"''\\`".: }
    `C) 0 _ 0 (--.._,-"""-.__
    ( ) @ ( ) `.
    `-.-_-.-' \
    ,' \ / ,` ;`-._,-.
    ,' ,'/ ,' `---t.,-. \_
    ,--.,',' ,'----.__\ _( \----'
    '///,`,--.,' `-.__.--' `. )
    '///,' `-`
    --
    I am known as LockBox on the Wilders Security forums. pls do not
    say bad words or do anything to frighten me. I am tender.

    LunchBox, Dec 22, 2010
  9. On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:04:30 -0500, DASSFox wrote:

    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:02:28 -0500, Ari Silverstein wrote:

    >>> Kewl!

    >>> Do you have the link I posted on that health forum about my nuts?

    >> http://tinyurl.com/39zl3ar

    > Why are you two being such assholes, Ray's almost as smart as I am.

    And your one round of evolution from a muddy pond's amoebae.

    > Please don't get to technical if you don't have to, some of the
    > readers might not understand, me included, LOL...

    You especially.

    > THANKS

    Welcum.
    --
    Passwords, people, they are not just for game shows. If you refuse to
    make the effort to remember a few long, diverse passwords, then don't

    Ari Silverstein, Dec 22, 2010
  10. RayLopez99

    za kAT Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:41:44 -0500, Peter Foldes wrote:

    > Peter
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Uh, shouldn't that be

    httpS://www.microsoft.com/protect/ you know to be protected and all?
    --
    - Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416.
    Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for denigration!

    za kAT, Dec 22, 2010
  11. za kAT wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:41:44 -0500, Peter Foldes wrote:
    >
    >> Peter
    >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    > Uh, shouldn't that be
    >
    > httpS://www.microsoft.com/protect/ you know to be protected and all?

    Why?

    FromTheRafters, Dec 22, 2010
  12. RayLopez99

    za kAT Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:30:09 -0500, FromTheRafters wrote:

    > za kAT wrote:
    >> On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:41:44 -0500, Peter Foldes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Peter
    >>> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    >>> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
    >>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >> Uh, shouldn't that be
    >>
    >> httpS://www.microsoft.com/protect/ you know to be protected and all?

    > Why?

    Because it won't load SSL?

    za kAT, Dec 22, 2010
  13. RayLopez99

    LunchBox Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:41:44 -0500, Peter Foldes wrote:

    > Peter
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dearest Peter

    The thing I really like about Usenet is that it can only tell the
    truth!

    Here is my original post <>

    http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=<>

    Everyone can see for themselves that I changed nothing and it is *you*
    who lie!

    Whilst on the subject of citing post references, you say in this post
    :
    <ic4nk1$bb6$>

    http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=<ic4nk1$bb6$>

    Quote:

    That is the link you were posting back in 08. Bully just brought it to
    your attention that it was you who posted that link originally stating
    that it was you who helped build it. What a 2 faced screwed up Troll
    you are

    And now you want to wash your hands from it. You are a real sick
    fuckup

    **

    Btw - here's a link to your post in Google Groups too.

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.privacy.spyware/msg/b62bbd8653aae972?hl=en

    **

    Now then! - Both you and I *know* that to be *untrue*, don't we, PF?
    :)

    Ah! But you say it is _me_ who is lying! Well then, here's a chance to
    *prove* to everyone that you are not a cheat\forger and a liar. All
    you
    need do is post the relevant Message-ID in response to this current
    post
    of mine.

    Will you do that - now - Peter Foldes ...... or are you not that
    clever?

    I'm waiting with bated breath! :)

    Signed,

    "Lunchturds"

    LunchBox, Dec 22, 2010
  14. za kAT wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:30:09 -0500, FromTheRafters wrote:
    >
    >> za kAT wrote:

    >>> Uh, shouldn't that be
    >>>
    >>> httpS://www.microsoft.com/protect/ you know to be protected and all?

    >> Why?

    > Because it won't load SSL?

    Who cares? What's to protect in that connection?

    FromTheRafters, Dec 22, 2010
  15. RayLopez99

    za kAT Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:53:00 -0500, FromTheRafters wrote:

    > za kAT wrote:

    >>> Why?

    >> Because it won't load SSL?

    > Who cares? What's to protect in that connection?

    Turn around. See that jet plane that just flew right over the point on
    your head?

    za kAT, Dec 22, 2010
  16. za kAT wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:53:00 -0500, FromTheRafters wrote:
    >
    >> za kAT wrote:

    >>> Because it won't load SSL?

    >> Who cares? What's to protect in that connection?

    > Turn around. See that jet plane that just flew right over the point on
    > your head?

    Is that your answer?

    FromTheRafters, Dec 22, 2010
  17. RayLopez99

    LunchBox Guest

    LunchBox, Dec 22, 2010
  18. On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:00:04 -0500, FromTheRafters wrote:

    > za kAT wrote:

    >>> Who cares? What's to protect in that connection?

    >> Turn around. See that jet plane that just flew right over the point on
    >> your head?

    > Is that your answer?

    I believe it is important to interject here that questions are poor
    forms of answering questions. lol
    --
    Live To Spend It

    Ari Silverstein, Dec 22, 2010
  19. RayLopez99

    Rex Ballard Guest

    On Dec 22, 5:41 am, RayLopez99 <> wrote:

    > If they used Windows with the latest patches from Norton, arguably
    > this would never have happened.  But thank Allah for Linux and "virus
    > free computing",  LOL!

    Wrong!

    Remember, Norton doesn't actually prevent malware from downloading
    viruses into the computer, it just detects the infected files and
    quarantines or removes them. The agent is almost never "detected" or
    blocked - because it's Microsoft's standard functionality.

    > RL

    > http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News/Article.aspx?id=199475

    > Last month, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the United
    > Nation’s nuclear watchdog, said that Iran had suspended work at its
    > nuclear-field production facilities, likely a result of the Stuxnet
    > virus.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet
    <quote>
    Stuxnet is a Windows-specific computer worm[Notes 1] first discovered
    in July 2010 by VirusBlokAda, a security firm based in Belarus.
    </quote>

    Worse, it gets Windows to corrupt industrial control devices.

    > According to Langer, Iran’s best move would be to throw out all of the
    > computers that have been infected by the worm, which he said was the
    > most “advanced and aggressive malware in history.” But, he said, even
    > once all of the computers were thrown out, Iran would have to ensure
    > that computers used by outside contractors were also clean of Stuxnet.

    Sounds like he's recommending that they should get rid of all those
    Windows computers. Since the infected computers could corrupt the
    controllers again.

    Rex Ballard, Dec 22, 2010
  20. RayLopez99

    za kAT Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:19:32 -0800 (PST), Rex Ballard wrote:

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet
    > <quote>
    > Stuxnet is a Windows-specific computer worm[Notes 1] first discovered
    > in July 2010 by VirusBlokAda, a security firm based in Belarus.
    > </quote>
    >
    > Worse, it gets Windows to corrupt industrial control devices.

    Like this one?

    http://www.comeindustrial.com/A1088V-JR.JPG

    za kAT, Dec 22, 2010