What not to buy

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Dec 9, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, Dec 9, 2007

  2. thingy

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Dec 10, 2007

  3. thingy

    Adam Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > Just another Register troll. Why do people even read that net rag? And I
    > don't suppose you bothered to check even one fact before deciding to start
    > a WD boycott. Did you? Geesh!! How naive can anyone be?

    Well, the facts remain.

    So too with Seagate here,
    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/06/seagate-snubs-linux

    Now whether the Register or anyone else reports it,
    is surely hardly the issue.

    Just the Mac & Linux users chewing it over.

    Adam, Dec 10, 2007
  4. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >
    >> Just another Register troll. Why do people even read that net rag? And I
    >> don't suppose you bothered to check even one fact before deciding to
    >> start
    >> a WD boycott. Did you? Geesh!! How naive can anyone be?

    > Well, the facts remain.

    What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
    hard drive package respects the law on DRM?

    > So too with Seagate here,
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/06/seagate-snubs-linux

    What facts? That Seagate markets its external hard drives to a mass market
    of Windows users?

    > Now whether the Register or anyone else reports it,
    > is surely hardly the issue.
    >
    > Just the Mac & Linux users chewing it over.

    Nah, just the Register finding some reason to be.

    impossible, Dec 10, 2007
  5. thingy

    frederick Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
    > hard drive package respects the law on DRM?

    What "law"?

    frederick, Dec 10, 2007
  6. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >

    >> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
    >> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?
    >>

    > What "law"?

    US and EU copyright law.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

    impossible, Dec 10, 2007
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "frederick" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
    >>> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?
    >>>

    >> What "law"?

    > US and EU copyright law.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

    No,

    The WD blocks even legit video.......so it is perfectly reasonable to
    look and say, oh this does not meet my needs as a user....so it is
    perfectly legit to boycott crap products that shaft us the consumer.

    As a legit user of home grown video and images I don't want some dumb
    software blocking me from doing/displaying my work.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 10, 2007
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Adam" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just another Register troll. Why do people even read that net rag? And I
    >>> don't suppose you bothered to check even one fact before deciding to
    >>> start
    >>> a WD boycott. Did you? Geesh!! How naive can anyone be?

    >> Well, the facts remain.
    >>

    > What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
    > hard drive package respects the law on DRM?

    There is no law on DRM, in fact DRM contravenes copyright law by taking
    away the balance that was part of the law.

    >> So too with Seagate here,
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/06/seagate-snubs-linux
    >>

    > What facts? That Seagate markets its external hard drives to a mass market
    > of Windows users?

    If they want to be that dumb.....considering MAC users probably are more
    affluent and "discerning" purchasers of "quality" kit.....shooting
    oneself in the foot like this is plain stupid IMHO.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 10, 2007
  9. thingy

    frederick Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "frederick" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
    >>> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?
    >>>

    >> What "law"?

    > US and EU copyright law.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

    Ok thanks - I get it.
    So - a company which makes ginsu steak knives with rubber blades
    "respects the law" wrt preventing stabbing homicide.

    frederick, Dec 10, 2007
  10. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "frederick" <> wrote in message

    >>> What "law"?

    >> US and EU copyright law.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

    > No,
    >
    > The WD blocks even legit video.......so it is perfectly reasonable to look
    > and say, oh this does not meet my needs as a user....so it is perfectly
    > legit to boycott crap products that shaft us the consumer.

    You didn't say, "Boycott this product...". You said, "forget WD". There's a
    big difference. Are you seriously suggesting that people should boycott all
    WD drives because the third-party software on one product is not to your
    liking?

    > As a legit user of home grown video and images I don't want some dumb
    > software blocking me from doing/displaying my work.

    Well, first of all, that software won't prevent you from "doing/displaying"
    your work. It simply prevents users who connect to your drive through that
    software from sharing those files. If you'd bothered to read investigate
    beyond the Register troll-bait, you'd have noticed that. In any case, if you
    don't like that "feature" -- and neither do I, btw -- then don't buy that
    product, it'as simple as that. Standard WD drives are just fine, don't you
    think?

    impossible, Dec 10, 2007
  11. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "frederick" <> wrote in message

    >>> What "law"?

    >> US and EU copyright law.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

    > Ok thanks - I get it.
    > So - a company which makes ginsu steak knives with rubber blades "respects
    > the law" wrt preventing stabbing homicide.

    Oh, thanks -- I get it. Another person who can't do analogies.

    impossible, Dec 10, 2007
  12. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Adam" <> wrote in message

    >>> Well, the facts remain.
    >>>

    >> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
    >> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?

    > There is no law on DRM, in fact DRM contravenes copyright law by taking
    > away the balance that was part of the law.
    >
    >>> So too with Seagate here,
    >>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/06/seagate-snubs-linux
    >>>

    >> What facts? That Seagate markets its external hard drives to a mass
    >> market of Windows users?
    >>

    > If they want to be that dumb.....considering MAC users probably are more
    > affluent and "discerning" purchasers of "quality" kit.....shooting oneself
    > in the foot like this is plain stupid IMHO.

    AFAIK--Macs work just fine with the Seagate Free Agents. Do you have some
    evidence to the contrary?

    impossible, Dec 10, 2007
  13. thingy

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Dec 10, 2007
  14. thingy

    sam Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "frederick" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> What facts? That the third-party software WD includes on its new external
    >>> hard drive package respects the law on DRM?
    >>>

    >> What "law"?

    > US and EU copyright law.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

    It implements the policy by file type.
    Nothing to do with respecting the law on DRM, whatever that means, or
    any drm protection in the file, or the copyright status of the file.

    sam, Dec 10, 2007
  15. thingy

    thingy Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>> "frederick" <> wrote in message

    >>> US and EU copyright law.
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

    >> No,
    >>
    >> The WD blocks even legit video.......so it is perfectly reasonable to look
    >> and say, oh this does not meet my needs as a user....so it is perfectly
    >> legit to boycott crap products that shaft us the consumer.
    >>

    > You didn't say, "Boycott this product...". You said, "forget WD". There's a
    > big difference.

    yes and no.......

    Are you seriously suggesting that people should boycott all
    > WD drives because the third-party software on one product is not to your
    > liking?
    >
    >> As a legit user of home grown video and images I don't want some dumb
    >> software blocking me from doing/displaying my work.
    >>

    > Well, first of all, that software won't prevent you from "doing/displaying"
    > your work. It simply prevents users who connect to your drive through that
    > software from sharing those files.

    and I want to be able to share them....hence I supplied the link for
    people to read.

    If you'd bothered to read investigate
    > beyond the Register troll-bait, you'd have noticed that. In any case, if you
    > don't like that "feature" -- and neither do I, btw -- then don't buy that
    > product, it'as simple as that.

    yes..........

    Standard WD drives are just fine, don't you
    > think?

    yes....and no....

    By boycotting WD totally consumers send a clear message that WD has to
    listen to customers...and not Holywood....

    There has also been concept papers around moving this tech to internal
    drives....so by making it clear to WD that their first product is not
    acceptable it will not be moved to new ones....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Dec 10, 2007
  16. thingy

    sam Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "frederick" <> wrote in message

    >>> What "law"?

    >> US and EU copyright law.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management
    >>

    > No,
    >
    > The WD blocks even legit video.......so it is perfectly reasonable to
    > look and say, oh this does not meet my needs as a user....so it is
    > perfectly legit to boycott crap products that shaft us the consumer.
    >
    > As a legit user of home grown video and images I don't want some dumb
    > software blocking me from doing/displaying my work.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Actually for someone such as yourself with Linux skills it looks like a
    pretty interesting open box with an ARM linux operating system
    http://martin.hinner.info/mybook/

    sam, Dec 10, 2007
  17. thingy

    sam Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > So forget WD drives....
    >
    > http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/western_digital_drm_crippled_harddrive/
    >

    > regards
    >
    > thing

    The Reg article is flat out WRONG
    The drive provides normal LAN access to all its files.
    WD Anywhere Access http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_Anywhere_Access is a
    subscription service provided by Mionet
    http://mionet.com/ which is bundled with the drive.
    The drive has a service which logs onto mionet to provide access to your
    files except fot the restricted file types without a host computer, from
    the internet.
    If you wish you can disable the mionet service and install another
    server like vsftpd.

    sam, Dec 10, 2007
  18. thingy

    sam Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message

    >>> No,
    >>>
    >>> The WD blocks even legit video.......so it is perfectly reasonable to
    >>> look and say, oh this does not meet my needs as a user....so it is
    >>> perfectly legit to boycott crap products that shaft us the consumer.
    >>>

    >> You didn't say, "Boycott this product...". You said, "forget WD".
    >> There's a big difference.

    > yes and no.......
    >
    > Are you seriously suggesting that people should boycott all
    >> WD drives because the third-party software on one product is not to
    >> your liking?
    >>
    >>> As a legit user of home grown video and images I don't want some dumb
    >>> software blocking me from doing/displaying my work.
    >>>

    >> Well, first of all, that software won't prevent you from
    >> "doing/displaying" your work. It simply prevents users who connect to
    >> your drive through that software from sharing those files.

    > and I want to be able to share them....hence I supplied the link for
    > people to read.
    >
    > If you'd bothered to read investigate
    >> beyond the Register troll-bait, you'd have noticed that. In any case,
    >> if you don't like that "feature" -- and neither do I, btw -- then
    >> don't buy that product, it'as simple as that.

    > yes..........
    >
    > Standard WD drives are just fine, don't you
    >> think?
    >>

    > yes....and no....
    >
    > By boycotting WD totally consumers send a clear message that WD has to
    > listen to customers...and not Holywood....
    >
    > There has also been concept papers around moving this tech to internal
    > drives....so by making it clear to WD that their first product is not
    > acceptable it will not be moved to new ones....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    You are propagating bullshit dude
    The WD drive does not stop you sharing anything you like on the LAN it
    is just a NAS box with samba
    The "WD Anywhere Access Service powered by Mionet" is a web service
    provided so you can access your files through a third part gateway on
    the internet. That is the part that restricts access by file type.
    If you want to hack it to be available on the internet you can put on
    your own ftp server, the nslu2 hack sites probably have prebuilt packages.
    It has nothing to do with DRM or EU and US law, "impossible" is
    kneejerking as much as you are. Whats new :-(.

    sam, Dec 10, 2007
  19. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message

    > By boycotting WD totally consumers send a clear message that WD has to
    > listen to customers...and not Holywood....
    >
    > There has also been concept papers around moving this tech to internal
    > drives....so by making it clear to WD that their first product is not
    > acceptable it will not be moved to new ones....

    The software you're talking about is a user-installed option, for heaven's
    sake, not a root-kit. If WD wants to throw that on a cd with all its retail
    internal drives, so what? People who don't like the software restrictions
    are perfectly free to share their files using some other network
    configuration.

    impossible, Dec 10, 2007
  20. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message news:475db74d$...
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "frederick" <> wrote in message

    >>> What "law"?

    >> US and EU copyright law.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

    > It implements the policy by file type.
    > Nothing to do with respecting the law on DRM, whatever that means, or any
    > drm protection in the file, or the copyright status of the file.

    If you go to WD's product site, you'll see that the third-party software
    they use specifically bans ceratin file types because of "unverifiable media
    license authentication" issues. There's no other reason for WD to do that
    than to stay onside with copyright lawyers.

    impossible, Dec 10, 2007