What no camera.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Frank Clement-Lorford, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. Help - brains are frying. I recently been given a s/h digital camera (canon
    powershot s40) complete with software. This software use to work on this
    computer - which was also given to me - however the original operating
    system has been cleaned off (windows 98) to be replaced by windows 98se. On
    loading the software on I received an error message telling me that the
    twain had a virus - Troj-desniff. I then went to canon's website and
    downloaded the twain driver for the camera and received the same virus
    message.

    I then removed the virus protector - Penicillin. Loaded the software then
    connected the camera to the computer via usb port. Although the camera
    turned on. the dedicated programme would not recognize the camera. The
    system recognized the camera but no driver, even when I typed in path to
    were it could be found.

    I then went back to Canon's website and download the dedicated twain driver
    for the camera. Again, the system recognized the camera as a 'plug and play'
    but, would not recognise the driver, even when I directed it to a new
    location.

    I then tried a generic software to see if that would recognize the camera.
    That did not recognize the camera neither, although it recognized my scanner
    which was not plugged in, as I use various 'plug & play' therefore use the
    same port.

    After all of this, I checked the usb port with another devise, which worked.
    I know the camera and usb lead work because I saw them being used on a
    different computer yesterday.

    In looking through the troubleshooting section of the software's Manuel
    about camera not being recognized. it says I might need to acquire "built
    in USB interface on a system preinstalled with winows98 windowsMe windows
    2000." Would the fact that the computer has been reformatted and Windows
    98SE replaced the preinstalled edition have some thing to do with my
    problems.

    I am completely stumped what to do next - I would be very grateful for any
    advice,

    Regards

    Frank

    --
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Children begin by loving their parents, after a time they judge them
    rarely, if ever, do they forgive them. Oscar Wilde (1854-1900).
    Frank Clement-Lorford, Aug 1, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Frank Clement-Lorford

    Mara Guest

    Frank Clement-Lorford wrote:
    > Help - brains are frying.


    Underpants might help.
    Mara, Aug 1, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Frank Clement-Lorford

    paul s Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 12:40:23 +0100, Frank Clement-Lorford wrote:

    > Help - brains are frying. I recently been given a s/h digital camera
    > (canon powershot s40) complete with software. This software use to work on
    > this computer - which was also given to me - however the original
    > operating system has been cleaned off (windows 98) to be replaced by
    > windows 98se. On loading the software on I received an error message
    > telling me that the twain had a virus


    'the twain had a virus', now this is what happens when you put Jonathan
    Ross 'Woss' in charge of RailTrack. :)

    > - Troj-desniff. I then went to
    > canon's website and downloaded the twain driver for the camera and
    > received the same virus message.
    >
    > I then removed the virus protector - Penicillin. Loaded the software
    > then connected the camera to the computer via usb port. Although the
    > camera turned on. the dedicated programme would not recognize the
    > camera. The system recognized the camera but no driver, even when I
    > typed in path to were it could be found.
    >
    > I then went back to Canon's website and download the dedicated twain
    > driver


    'twain driver' yup Elmer Fudd now works for Virgin Trains. :)

    > for the camera. Again, the system recognized the camera as a
    > 'plug and play' but, would not recognise the driver, even when I
    > directed it to a new location.
    >
    > I then tried a generic software to see if that would recognize the
    > camera. That did not recognize the camera neither, although it
    > recognized my scanner which was not plugged in, as I use various 'plug &
    > play' therefore use the same port.
    >
    > After all of this, I checked the usb port with another devise, which
    > worked. I know the camera and usb lead work because I saw them being
    > used on a different computer yesterday.
    >
    > In looking through the troubleshooting section of the software's Manuel
    > about camera not being recognized. it says I might need to acquire
    > "built in USB interface on a system preinstalled with winows98 windowsMe
    > windows 2000." Would the fact that the computer has been reformatted and
    > Windows 98SE replaced the preinstalled edition have some thing to do
    > with my problems.
    >
    > I am completely stumped what to do next - I would be very grateful for
    > any advice,


    A possible solution would be to get a cheapo <£20 Sandisk USB
    CompactFlash reader/writer for the PC. The work straight away with almost
    any OS, no messing around.

    --
    Paul S

    - "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya. You `kill -9'-ed my parent -
    - process. Prepare to vi." -
    paul s, Aug 1, 2003
    #3
  4. Frank Clement-Lorford

    Mara Guest

    paul s wrote:

    > 'the twain had a virus', now this is what happens when you put
    > Jonathan Ross 'Woss' in charge of RailTrack. :)


    > 'twain driver' yup Elmer Fudd now works for Virgin Trains. :)


    TWAIN, Technology Without An Interesting Name.

    > A possible solution would be to get a cheapo <£20 Sandisk USB
    > CompactFlash reader/writer for the PC. The work straight away with
    > almost any OS, no messing around.


    "And a possible solution for you would be 2 parts sulphuric acid, 3 parts
    carbolic acid and 5 parts slug slime".

    <giggle>

    --
    3. we will not whitelist any IP address in a network that allows
    spam to exist anywhere in its network.
    -- easynet.nl (formerly Wirehub!) abuse handling dept
    Mara, Aug 1, 2003
    #4
  5. Frank Clement-Lorford

    paul s Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:09:48 +0200, Mara wrote:

    > paul s wrote:
    >
    >> 'the twain had a virus', now this is what happens when you put Jonathan
    >> Ross 'Woss' in charge of RailTrack. :)

    >
    >> 'twain driver' yup Elmer Fudd now works for Virgin Trains. :)

    >
    > TWAIN, Technology Without An Interesting Name.


    BTW the Linux version is called SANE 'Scanner Access Now Easy'.

    Talking about twains, anyone seen this site? The A-Z of British Rail
    excuses:
    http://www.rodge.force9.co.uk/faq/excuses.html

    -----------
    Exploding pigeon (apparently the wires at Kings Cross Thameslink are quite
    low and a bird flying between the wire and the roof causes 25kV to earth
    itself on the train via the bird!)
    -----------

    >> A possible solution would be to get a cheapo <£20 Sandisk USB
    >> CompactFlash reader/writer for the PC. The work straight away with
    >> almost any OS, no messing around.

    >
    > "And a possible solution for you would be 2 parts sulphuric acid, 3
    > parts carbolic acid and 5 parts slug slime".
    >
    > <giggle>


    Thanks.

    --
    Paul S

    - Polygon: A dead parrot (sorry, John Cleese!) -
    paul s, Aug 1, 2003
    #5
  6. Frank Clement-Lorford

    Jimchip Guest

    On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:40:23 +0100, Frank Clement-Lorford wrote:
    [snip]
    > In looking through the troubleshooting section of the software's Manuel
    > about camera not being recognized. it says I might need to acquire "built
    > in USB interface on a system preinstalled with winows98 windowsMe windows
    > 2000." Would the fact that the computer has been reformatted and Windows
    > 98SE replaced the preinstalled edition have some thing to do with my
    > problems.
    >
    > I am completely stumped what to do next - I would be very grateful for any
    > advice,


    If it is a USB problem (and it may be):
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;263218

    Are either of these true for you?
    * An AMD processor (running at 350 MHz or faster)
    * A VIA Technologies USB controller
    If so, then http://makeashorterlink.com/?J10A23575


    --
    We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve
    one technical problem -- how to run sunlight through a meter.
    Jimchip, Aug 1, 2003
    #6
  7. Frank Clement-Lorford

    Ian Hastie Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 12:24:25 +0000, paul s wrote:

    > BTW the Linux version is called SANE 'Scanner Access Now Easy'.


    But for a Canon PowerShot S40 you'd use gphoto2. *8)

    http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Ian.

    EOM
    Ian Hastie, Aug 1, 2003
    #7
  8. Frank Clement-Lorford

    paul s Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:47:16 +0100, Ian Hastie wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 12:24:25 +0000, paul s wrote:
    >
    >> BTW the Linux version is called SANE 'Scanner Access Now Easy'.

    >
    > But for a Canon PowerShot S40 you'd use gphoto2. *8)
    >
    > http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/


    Actually I got a S110 and I use GTKam. :) Plug the camera in and the
    GTKam icom appears on the KDE desktop, click on in and there's the pics
    ready for downloading.

    Yeh I know SANE meant for scanners.

    --
    Paul S
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    - I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it! -
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    paul s, Aug 1, 2003
    #8
  9. paul s <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:09:48 +0200, Mara wrote:
    >
    >> paul s wrote:
    >>
    >>> 'the twain had a virus', now this is what happens when you put Jonathan
    >>> Ross 'Woss' in charge of RailTrack. :)

    >>
    >>> 'twain driver' yup Elmer Fudd now works for Virgin Trains. :)

    >>
    >> TWAIN, Technology Without An Interesting Name.

    >
    >BTW the Linux version is called SANE 'Scanner Access Now Easy'.
    >
    >Talking about twains, anyone seen this site? The A-Z of British Rail
    >excuses:
    >http://www.rodge.force9.co.uk/faq/excuses.html
    >
    >-----------
    >Exploding pigeon (apparently the wires at Kings Cross Thameslink are quite
    >low and a bird flying between the wire and the roof causes 25kV to earth
    >itself on the train via the bird!)
    >-----------
    >
    >>> A possible solution would be to get a cheapo <£20 Sandisk USB
    >>> CompactFlash reader/writer for the PC. The work straight away with
    >>> almost any OS, no messing around.

    >>
    >> "And a possible solution for you would be 2 parts sulphuric acid, 3
    >> parts carbolic acid and 5 parts slug slime".
    >>
    >> <giggle>

    >
    >Thanks.


    Drink that black-worm troll jism. DRINK IT!!!1

    BWAHAHAHAHAetc...

    TWO-NIL, fucktard cl00bie.

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    Certified Word Police Officer - Details Detail
    http://www.geocities.com/spamresources/spambots.htm
    http://www.drcnet.org/ http://www.abovegod.com/
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    "A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros, rajahs,
    a coloratura, maps, snipe, percale, macaroni,
    a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana bag
    again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut,
    a Rolo, cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal
    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2
    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 2, 2003
    #9
  10. Frank Clement-Lorford

    slumpy Guest

    "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
    threw back my head and roared with laughter as paul s continued:

    >> TWO-NIL, fucktard cl00bie.

    >
    > Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD is now ranting on planet loony with
    > such fervour that he'll forget to breathe soon...


    Does he still say 'left-right-left-right' when he walks to keep going ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    no less
    just slumpy
    slumpy, Aug 2, 2003
    #10
  11. Frank Clement-Lorford

    paul s Guest

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 00:51:03 +0100, slumpy wrote:

    > "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as paul s continued:
    >
    >>> TWO-NIL, fucktard cl00bie.

    >>
    >> Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD is now ranting on planet loony with
    >> such fervour that he'll forget to breathe soon...

    >
    > Does he still say 'left-right-left-right' when he walks to keep going ?


    Nah he/she/it is too far gone for that. Probably has to be pushed around
    and spoon-fed.

    --
    Paul S
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Never eat anything larger than your head -
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    paul s, Aug 2, 2003
    #11
  12. paul s <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 00:28:31 +0100, Monsignor Larville Jones MD wrote:
    >
    >> Drink that black-worm troll jism. DRINK IT!!!1
    >>
    >> BWAHAHAHAHAetc...
    >>
    >> TWO-NIL, fucktard cl00bie.

    >
    >Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD is now ranting on planet loony with
    >such fervour that he'll forget to breathe soon...
    >
    >God willing!


    This one's on me, 'n00b'.

    You were unwittingly 'slurping' a troll'. (n.b. I 'hace' marked all
    'netlingo' with apostrophes as you are obviously a 'cl00-free' zone.)

    Perhaps on day four you'll begin to understand what a 'dancing'
    '****-monkey' you're making of yourself. Thanks for 'playing'.

    *DEITY, I'm enjoying this. ;o)

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    Certified Word Police Officer - Details Detail
    http://www.geocities.com/spamresources/spambots.htm
    http://www.drcnet.org/ http://www.abovegod.com/
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    "A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros, rajahs,
    a coloratura, maps, snipe, percale, macaroni,
    a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana bag
    again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut,
    a Rolo, cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal
    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2
    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 2, 2003
    #12
  13. "slumpy" <> wrote:

    >"So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
    >threw back my head and roared with laughter as paul s continued:
    >
    >>> TWO-NIL, fucktard cl00bie.

    >>
    >> Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD is now ranting on planet loony with
    >> such fervour that he'll forget to breathe soon...

    >
    >Does he still say 'left-right-left-right' when he walks to keep going ?


    Are you still 'repairing' your IE6 via the non-existent 'repair'
    function in 'Add/Remove Programs' that you "use all the time with
    never a problem", Spankard? Don't tell me - you never said that, did
    you...?

    LOLOLOLOLOLOLrecurring....

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    Certified Word Police Officer - Details Detail
    http://www.geocities.com/spamresources/spambots.htm
    http://www.drcnet.org/ http://www.abovegod.com/
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    "A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros, rajahs,
    a coloratura, maps, snipe, percale, macaroni,
    a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana bag
    again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut,
    a Rolo, cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal
    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2
    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 2, 2003
    #13
  14. Frank Clement-Lorford

    paul s Guest

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 01:53:16 +0100, Monsignor Larville Jones MD wrote:

    > This one's on me, 'n00b'.
    >
    > You were unwittingly 'slurping' a troll'. (n.b. I 'hace' marked all
    > 'netlingo' with apostrophes as you are obviously a 'cl00-free' zone.)
    >
    > Perhaps on day four you'll begin to understand what a 'dancing'
    > '****-monkey' you're making of yourself. Thanks for 'playing'.
    >
    > *DEITY, I'm enjoying this. ;o)


    There is a treatment available for your condition:
    Electro Convulsive Therapy.

    BTW you're the one who has made the complete dick out of yourself.

    IMHO you was rumbled ages ago.

    I give you 10 out of 10 for that.

    Nite nite.
    --
    Paul S
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Death is nature's way of dropping carrier -
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    paul s, Aug 2, 2003
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. jim
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    905
    Patch
    May 20, 2004
  2. zxcvar
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,096
  3. fruitbat
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,060
    Joe Price
    Sep 17, 2003
  4. Tim
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    662
  5. Michael
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    1,003
    Yehuda Paradise
    Nov 22, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page