    Can this unfair restriction be circumvented?

    Replies direct to my email address (<>) are fine.

    Thanks - Ken

    Ken, Mar 31, 2006

  2. Ken

    Johnjd Guest

    There is a software product called AnyDVD by www.slysoft.com which will do
    what you are asking for!

    John

    Johnjd, Mar 31, 2006

  3. Ken

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    There's another one at www.dvdidle.com that works as well.

    Joshua Zyber, Mar 31, 2006
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Johnjd wrote:
    > There is a software product called AnyDVD by www.slysoft.com which will do
    > what you are asking for!
    >
    > John
    >
    > "Ken" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi guys. Any thoughts on the following?
    >>
    >>I'm a movie buff (in Australia, which is Region 4) and get sent DVDs,
    >>including commercial ones, from friends around the world.
    >>
    >>But my new Acer laptop computer tells me that I must nominate just one
    >>Region for it to play DVDs from. (As a sop, I guess, it allows me 5
    >>initial plays from anywhere, but after that I must settle for whichever
    >>Region I finally select.)
    >>
    >>Can this unfair restriction be circumvented?
    >>
    >>Replies direct to my email address (<>) are fine.
    >>
    >>Thanks - Ken

    Thanks, John. I'll investigate!

    - Ken

    Ken, Mar 31, 2006
  5. Ken

    Stan Brown Guest

    Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:54:52 +1000 from Ken <>:
    > I'm a movie buff (in Australia, which is Region 4) and get sent DVDs,
    > including commercial ones, from friends around the world.
    >
    > But my new Acer laptop computer tells me that I must nominate just one
    > Region for it to play DVDs from. (As a sop, I guess, it allows me 5
    > initial plays from anywhere, but after that I must settle for whichever
    > Region I finally select.)

    Sounds like maybe it was done with the US market in mind. My Acer
    laptop has the same restriction -- limit of 5 changes and then you're
    "stuck like it". IIRC, this is a matter of US law for any equipment
    manufactured after a certain date and sold here. Of course it was
    done at the behest of the Hollywood industry.

    > Can this unfair restriction be circumvented?

    Yes, there are numerous software products.
    "Region free" and "DVD software"
    should be a good Google search, if someone doesn't reply in this
    thread. (I've actually never played anything but Region 1, so the
    getting around the restriction isn't a big priority for me.)

    > Replies direct to my email address (<>) are fine.

    Fine with you, maybe, but they deprive others of the answers. It's
    not just the current readers, but future folks searching the archives
    who benefit from public answers.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Mar 31, 2006
  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:
    > Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:54:52 +1000 from Ken <>:
    >
    >>I'm a movie buff (in Australia, which is Region 4) and get sent DVDs,
    >>including commercial ones, from friends around the world.
    >>
    >>But my new Acer laptop computer tells me that I must nominate just one
    >>Region for it to play DVDs from. (As a sop, I guess, it allows me 5
    >>initial plays from anywhere, but after that I must settle for whichever
    >>Region I finally select.)

    > Sounds like maybe it was done with the US market in mind. My Acer
    > laptop has the same restriction -- limit of 5 changes and then you're
    > "stuck like it". IIRC, this is a matter of US law for any equipment
    > manufactured after a certain date and sold here. Of course it was
    > done at the behest of the Hollywood industry.
    >

    >>Can this unfair restriction be circumvented?

    > Yes, there are numerous software products.
    > "Region free" and "DVD software"
    > should be a good Google search, if someone doesn't reply in this
    > thread. (I've actually never played anything but Region 1, so the
    > getting around the restriction isn't a big priority for me.)
    >

    >>Replies direct to my email address (<>) are fine.

    > Fine with you, maybe, but they deprive others of the answers. It's
    > not just the current readers, but future folks searching the archives
    > who benefit from public answers.

    My thanks to Stan and other respondents to my post. I have found a free
    product called DVD43 (version 3.7.0) which has worked a treat!

    Thanks - Ken

    Ken, Apr 1, 2006
  7. Ken

    Geoff B Guest

    "Ken" reported...

    > My thanks to Stan and other respondents to my post. I have found a free
    > product called DVD43 (version 3.7.0) which has worked a treat!

    May I, as a bumbling newcomer, ask if this lets you just watch the disc, or
    do you need to rip & copy it?

    I'm just after something to let me watch (at the moment).

    Thanks

    _______
    Geoff B

    Geoff B, Apr 3, 2006
  8. Ken

    Guest

    Geoff B wrote:
    > "Ken" reported...
    >

    > > My thanks to Stan and other respondents to my post. I have found a free
    > > product called DVD43 (version 3.7.0) which has worked a treat!
    > >

    > May I, as a bumbling newcomer, ask if this lets you just watch the disc, or
    > do you need to rip & copy it?
    >
    > I'm just after something to let me watch (at the moment).
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > _______
    > Geoff B

    if you're looking to just watch dvds from any region than just get VLC
    Media Player from http://www.videolan.org. This media player allows
    playback on your pc of dvds from any region without having to change
    the region on the drive like other programs force you to do. I use it
    on my region 1 hp laptop with a combo cd-r/dvd-rom drive to play R2
    dvds from england.

    , Apr 4, 2006
  9. Ken

    Geoff B Guest

    <> directed me to...
    > if you're looking to just watch dvds from any region than just get VLC
    > Media Player from http://www.videolan.org. This media player allows
    > playback on your pc of dvds from any region without having to change
    > the region on the drive like other programs force you to do. I use it
    > on my region 1 hp laptop with a combo cd-r/dvd-rom drive to play R2
    > dvds from england.

    A neat little program ! Thanks.

    Now - if I can just find out why I seem to be seeing a dark negative
    image!!!

    Cheers,

    _______
    Geoff B