    effect which looked like the crew were shining flashing mirrors into the
    faces of the cast - any chance you might know the title of this flick?
    .....thanks....
    Joseph S. Powell, III, Jun 25, 2005

  2. Joseph S. Powell, III

    crystalskull Guest

    Sounds a lot like Grapes Of Wrath.

    crystalskull, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Java Jive Guest

    In the absence of a smiley, I'm afraid I have to assume this guy is ignorant
    rather than joking.

    "The Grapes Of Wrath" is a classic American Novel by John Steinbeck,
    subsequently made into a film starring Henry Fonda ...
    http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0032551/
    .... which in turn inspired Woody Guthrie to write a great ballad called "Tom
    Joad". It has also been staged as play subsequently filmed for TV ...
    http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0101971/

    The story concerns the troubles of a mid-west farming family forced off
    their land by the dust-bowl disaster of the 1930s. They wind up in
    California in the labour camps of the Depression.

    I remember it as one of those films where everyone leaves in shocked
    silence.

    'Teen easy viewing, as described by the OP, it certainly ain't ...

    "crystalskull" <> wrote in message
    > Sounds a lot like Grapes Of Wrath.
    >
    > "Joseph S. Powell, III" <> wrote in message
    > > I've been racking my brains trying to I.D. the title of a certain movie

    [snip]
    Java Jive, Jun 27, 2005
  4. In article <42bfb9c0$>, Java Jive <> wrote:
    >In the absence of a smiley, I'm afraid I have to assume this guy is ignorant
    >rather than joking.
    >
    >"The Grapes Of Wrath" is a classic American Novel by John Steinbeck,
    >subsequently made into a film starring Henry Fonda ...

    And the Readers Digest condensed version was Angry Raisins. :)

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Jun 27, 2005
  5. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Rhino Guest

    "Java Jive" <> wrote in message
    > In the absence of a smiley, I'm afraid I have to assume this guy is

    ignorant
    > rather than joking.
    >
    > "The Grapes Of Wrath" is a classic American Novel by John Steinbeck,
    > subsequently made into a film starring Henry Fonda ...
    > http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0032551/
    > ... which in turn inspired Woody Guthrie to write a great ballad called

    "Tom
    > Joad". It has also been staged as play subsequently filmed for TV ...
    > http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0101971/
    >
    > The story concerns the troubles of a mid-west farming family forced off
    > their land by the dust-bowl disaster of the 1930s. They wind up in
    > California in the labour camps of the Depression.
    >
    > I remember it as one of those films where everyone leaves in shocked
    > silence.

    I read that Stalin was persuaded to let the Grapes of Wrath be shown in the
    USSR shortly after its release since it was widely viewed by many in the
    West as a damning indictment of the failures of capitalism; he felt that
    this would show the Soviet people that the grass was definitely NOT greener
    on the other side of the world.

    Apparently it didn't QUITE work out as planned though; many Soviets who saw
    it felt that America in the depths of the Depression was still a heck of a
    lot better than their "workers paradise". Many people who had seen the film
    started to apply for permission to emigrate to the US and Stalin quickly
    "pulled the plug" on this film....

    Rhino
    Rhino, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Java Jive" <> wrote in message
    > In the absence of a smiley, I'm afraid I have to assume this guy is
    > ignorant
    > rather than joking.

    Is the art of sarcasm really so dead that we must put smiley icons after
    every sentence to ensure that people 'get' the joke, no matter how
    obvious? I'm not sure if that says more about the writer or the reader.
    Joshua Zyber, Jun 29, 2005
  7. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Java Jive Guest

    It depends ...

    In this case, the one sentence reply means that it wasn't obvious from the
    general tone that it might have been with a longer communication, while the
    film suggested, though known to people my age, would probably not be known
    to younger generations. Therefore, it was quite possible that the OP would
    take the reply seriously, and end up resenting his/her time being wasted
    like this, or, even worse, wasting money by hiring or buying the wrong film.

    Further, as a casual passer-by, I don't like jokes at others' expense,
    especially when they appear to have done nothing to deserve it.

    If a joke was really intended, which from the choice of film suggested I
    still doubt, it would have been better to choose a film that was more likely
    to be known to the OP as obviously a joke, or else use a smiley.

    Java Jive, Jun 29, 2005
  8. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Java Jive" <> wrote in message
    > It depends ...
    >
    > In this case, the one sentence reply means that it wasn't obvious from
    > the
    > general tone that it might have been with a longer communication,
    > while the
    > film suggested, though known to people my age, would probably not be
    > known
    > to younger generations. Therefore, it was quite possible that the OP
    > would
    > take the reply seriously, and end up resenting his/her time being
    > wasted
    > like this, or, even worse, wasting money by hiring or buying the wrong
    > film.
    >
    > Further, as a casual passer-by, I don't like jokes at others' expense,
    > especially when they appear to have done nothing to deserve it.
    >
    > If a joke was really intended, which from the choice of film suggested
    > still doubt, it would have been better to choose a film that was more
    > likely
    > to be known to the OP as obviously a joke, or else use a smiley.

    Or perhaps you just have no sense of humor at all?
    Joshua Zyber, Jun 29, 2005
  9. "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Java Jive" <> wrote in message
    > > It depends ...
    > >
    > > In this case, the one sentence reply means that it wasn't obvious from
    > > the
    > > general tone that it might have been with a longer communication,
    > > while the
    > > film suggested, though known to people my age, would probably not be
    > > known
    > > to younger generations. Therefore, it was quite possible that the OP
    > > would
    > > take the reply seriously, and end up resenting his/her time being
    > > wasted
    > > like this, or, even worse, wasting money by hiring or buying the wrong
    > > film.
    > >
    > > Further, as a casual passer-by, I don't like jokes at others' expense,
    > > especially when they appear to have done nothing to deserve it.
    > >
    > > If a joke was really intended, which from the choice of film suggested
    > > still doubt, it would have been better to choose a film that was more
    > > likely
    > > to be known to the OP as obviously a joke, or else use a smiley.

    > Or perhaps you just have no sense of humor at all?

    ....I guess nobody has the slightest idea of the title of the film I'm
    looking for, huh?
    Joseph S. Powell, III, Jun 29, 2005
  10. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Java Jive Guest

    Or perhaps I have a better one than the lowest form of wit ...

    <Plonk>

    Java Jive, Jun 29, 2005
  11. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Java Jive Guest

    Not in my case, I'm afraid ...

    Seems a simple enough question, one would have thought you'd have got a
    sensible answer ...

    Java Jive, Jun 29, 2005
  12. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Mark Spatny Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:09:44 +0100, "Java Jive" <> wrote:

    >It depends ...
    >
    >In this case, the one sentence reply means that it wasn't obvious from the
    >general tone that it might have been with a longer communication,

    Not obvious to you, just obvious to nearly every other reader on the
    planet. Stop taking yourself so seriously.
    Mark Spatny, Jun 30, 2005
  13. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Java Jive Guest

    If it was so obvious and I'm taking it too seriously, what does that say
    about the sense of proportion of the time-wasting authors of the follow up
    mails, like yourself?

    Another plonker plonked.

    Java Jive, Jun 30, 2005
  14. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Justin Guest

    Java Jive wrote on [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:17:44 +0100]:
    > If it was so obvious and I'm taking it too seriously, what does that say
    > about the sense of proportion of the time-wasting authors of the follow up
    > mails, like yourself?
    >
    > Another plonker plonked.

    Now you've gone to the sour grapes portion of the thread where everyone
    has called you an idiot and you have nothing to prove you aren't.
    Justin, Jun 30, 2005
  15. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Java Jive Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Java Jive wrote on [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:17:44 +0100]:

    > > Another plonker plonked.

    Ditto
    Java Jive, Jun 30, 2005
  16. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Justin Guest

    Java Jive wrote on [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:32:44 +0100]:
    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> Java Jive wrote on [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:17:44 +0100]:

    >> > Another plonker plonked.

    > Ditto

    Thanks for announcing the plonkage. Now I feel so special.
    Justin, Jun 30, 2005
  17. "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Java Jive wrote on [Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:32:44 +0100]:
    > > "Justin" <> wrote in message

    > > Ditto

    > Thanks for announcing the plonkage. Now I feel so special.

    BUT WHAT MOVIE IS THIS THAT I'M ASKING ABOUT??!?!?!?!?
    Pleeeeeze, someone has to know!!!!
    Joseph S. Powell, III, Jul 1, 2005
  18. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Jay Stewart Guest

    > I've been racking my brains trying to I.D. the title of a certain movie
    > that aired on Showtime Beyond around the spring of 2004 - the plot
    > involved
    > some high school students who somehow aquired special powers - one dude
    > had
    > super strength, one chick could influence peoples minds (in one scene she
    > caused another chick to sit in a trash can); it was definately a B movie,
    > probably produced in 2002, and during a lot of the film it had a weird
    > effect which looked like the crew were shining flashing mirrors into the
    > faces of the cast - any chance you might know the title of this flick?
    > ....thanks....

    Up, Up and Away?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211174/
    Jay Stewart, Jul 1, 2005
  19. Joseph S. Powell, III

    Guest

    Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
    >BUT WHAT MOVIE IS THIS THAT I'M ASKING ABOUT?
    > Pleeeeeze, someone has to know!!!!

    Too many exclamation points and shouting via CAPITALIZATION, but, OK:

    it's THE SURGE, 2001, "Fear the Power", starring Mathew Scollon,
    Melissa Renee
    Martin, Edward Deruiter, and Alice Frank.

    Screen Media Films DVD #10059
    ISBN 6-87797-10059-7
    , Jul 3, 2005
  20. <> wrote in message
    > Joseph S. Powell, III wrote:
    > >BUT WHAT MOVIE IS THIS THAT I'M ASKING ABOUT?
    > > Pleeeeeze, someone has to know!!!!

    > Too many exclamation points and shouting via CAPITALIZATION, but, OK:
    >
    > it's THE SURGE, 2001, "Fear the Power", starring Mathew Scollon,
    > Melissa Renee
    > Martin, Edward Deruiter, and Alice Frank.
    >
    > Screen Media Films DVD #10059
    > ISBN 6-87797-10059-7

    Dude, you were right on the money!
    My eternal gratitude!