What minimum standards should exist for a film scanner??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by schuetzen - RKBA!, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. Does anyone here use a film scanner/copier/digitizer??

    As is the case with nearly all of you here on the group, you probably have
    slides which your parents left you which were taken in the 1930s or '40s and on
    into the 1960s. I have boxes of slides and many many processing envelopes of
    Kodacolor or B&W negative strips.

    I want to digitize these but have no idea what parameters I should be looking
    for when shopping for the ideal machine. Could we get these stated along with
    perhaps, a suggestion or three of products on the market which meet those
    standards??

    such as, 48 bit vs 64 bit, 32,000 pixel, negative frames, etc...

    ok, ditto the prints which we could scan in and then manipulate with software to
    remove bad color, scratches, etc....

    thanks
    chas
    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

    schuetzen - RKBA!, Jul 11, 2004

  2. schuetzen - RKBA!

    M Barnes Guest

    schuetzen wrote:

    > Does anyone here use a film scanner/copier/digitizer??

    I have used a Nikon Coolscan III for about four years.

    > As is the case with nearly all of you here on the group,
    > you probably have slides which your parents left you ....

    Yep.

    > I want to digitize these but have no idea what parameters
    > I should be looking for when shopping for the ideal machine.

    Couldn't help you with the technical stuff, but I can say
    that the Nikon works like a champ -- no problems ever.

    The software that came with it is wonderful -- great
    scratch removal and other config options -- fully
    customizable. And they continue to update the drivers
    and software as well. I'm quite happy. If I had it to
    do over, I would have gone top of the line instead of
    saving a little money. That would have given me greater
    color depth. But it's hardly noticeable to me. Minor quibble.
    M Barnes, Jul 11, 2004

  3. M Barnes wrote:

    >The software that came with it is wonderful -- great
    >scratch removal and other config options -- fully
    >customizable. And they continue to update the drivers
    >and software as well. I'm quite happy. If I had it to
    >do over, I would have gone top of the line instead of
    >saving a little money. That would have given me greater
    >color depth. But it's hardly noticeable to me. Minor quibble.

    what is "top of the line"?
    thanks

    schuetzen - RKBA!, Jul 12, 2004
  4. schuetzen - RKBA!

    M Barnes Guest

    schuetzen wrote:
    > M Barnes wrote:

    > > If I had it to do over, I would have gone top of the
    > > line instead of saving a little money. That would have
    > > given me greater color depth.

    > what is "top of the line"?

    Now? I don't know. But at the time, Nikon had another
    version of the Coolscan with greater color depth that
    cost more money. I saved some bucks and got the
    second best. I think I paid $1200 and the best was
    $1900. So the savings wasn't just lunch money.
    M Barnes, Jul 12, 2004