What makes a good Tech?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by AG, May 6, 2005.

  1. AG

    AG Guest

    Curiosity.
    You have to be ready to learn to fix almost anything.

    AG

    "Paul Kersey" <Paul > wrote in message
    > Got talked into a short-term project recently that required a skill set I

    as
    > yet don't have. Recruiter was anxious to get the postion filled. It was
    > pretty humilating. (Basically, got kicked from the project.)
    > The thing that really got me, was the hit my confidence took. Since I got

    my
    > A+/Network+ work has been piece meal and not always in the same areas.
    > Experience seems to be hard to come by or maybe I'm not trying hard

    enough.

    Paul Kersey, May 6, 2005

  3. AG

    Guest

    What makes a good tech?

    1) Admitting what you don't know.

    This means that if you are asked to set up 15 VLANS on different
    subnets inside an office and you cant do it, tell who ever ask you.
    Don't be afraid to admit you don't know somthing. Offer to assist (for
    free if necessary) so you can learn.

    2) Don't be afraid to try somthing.

    Should you attempt to take on a project that you know you cant
    complete, like the example above? NO. Should you be afraid of adding a
    user to a Win2k3 server if you have only worked on Win2k? No.

    3) The intuitive grasp of stuff.

    You have to have a good intuitave understanding of how this stuff
    works. If you understand basic understanding of how driver conflicts
    cause windows to fail, you should always be able to reckonize the
    symptoms of a failed driver, even if its a device you have never worked
    with before.

    Thoes are the 3 things that make a good tech, and remember from 4th
    grade "no question is a stupid question"

    , May 6, 2005
  4. AG

    jc Guest

    Learning how to post a question to one group and not all certification
    groups.

    jc, May 6, 2005
  5. On Fri, 06 May 2005 13:23:51 GMT, "Paul Kersey" <Paul
    > wrote:

    >Got talked into a short-term project recently that required a skill set I as
    >yet don't have. Recruiter was anxious to get the postion filled. It was
    >pretty humilating. (Basically, got kicked from the project.)
    >The thing that really got me, was the hit my confidence took. Since I got my
    >A+/Network+ work has been piece meal and not always in the same areas.
    >Experience seems to be hard to come by or maybe I'm not trying hard enough.
    >
    >What's a good way to keep the skills sharp and confidence high, when the
    >work is not consistent?
    >What makes a good Tech?
    >
    >PK

    Lateral thinking/thinking outside the box. When it isn't the
    usual/obvious, you sometimes almost have to turn into Sherlock Holmes.

    Willingness to learn and study.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 6, 2005
  6. AG

    me Guest

    knowing what questions to ask

    me, May 9, 2005
  7. AG

    AG Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    > knowing what questions to ask

    And after you ask the question know what the answer means as far as the
    computer is concerned.

    AG

    AG, May 9, 2005