What made my icons change?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by *alan*, Mar 22, 2008.

  1. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    Today I noticed that the icons for all my jpg files (which are set to be
    opened by Irfanview and which had always displayed an Irfanview icon) are
    now displaying an icon which I determined to be associated with Microsoft
    Office Picture Manager, an application which I had *never* used to open a
    jpg, or anything else, for that matter. I opened the Picture Viewer and
    checked that no files had been checked to associate with the viewer.
    Irfanview, likewise, still showed all image files associated with Irfanview.
    For the heck of it, I uninstalled Microsoft Office Professional 2003 (the
    source of the Picture Viewer) and rebooted, and the icon *still* showed
    Picture Viewer, even though Irfan opened it up as always. I reinstalled MS
    Office Professional 2003, checked that image files were all associated with
    Irfanview and, even though Irfanview does open them up, the icon still shows
    Picture Viewer. What gives? I've even tried the "Open With" option,
    deliberately chose Irfanview and checked the "always use this application"
    box. As long as Irfanview continues to open my image files, this is only a
    minor annoyance, but I'm curious as to how Microsoft weaseled its icon onto
    my computer. . . .
    Using XP Pro SP2.
    Thanks.
    --
    Alan
    *alan*, Mar 22, 2008

  2. *alan*

    Canon Guy Guest

    "*alan*" <> wrote in message
    > Today I noticed that the icons for all my jpg files (which are set to be
    > opened by Irfanview and which had always displayed an Irfanview icon) are
    > now displaying an icon which I determined to be associated with Microsoft
    > Office Picture Manager, an application which I had *never* used to open a
    > jpg, or anything else, for that matter.

    snip

    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Alan

    It's called 'bit rot'.
    Canon Guy, Mar 22, 2008

  3. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    "Canon Guy" <> wrote in message

    > "*alan*" <> wrote in message
    >> Today I noticed that the icons for all my jpg files (which are set to be
    >> opened by Irfanview and which had always displayed an Irfanview icon) are
    >> now displaying an icon which I determined to be associated with Microsoft
    >> Office Picture Manager, an application which I had *never* used to open a
    >> jpg, or anything else, for that matter.

    > snip
    >
    >> Thanks.
    >> --
    >> Alan

    > It's called 'bit rot'.

    Aha! -- I see. Well, that explains it perfectly. Thanks
    --
    alan
    *alan*, Mar 22, 2008