    of mechanical adapter?

    thanks,

    Martin
    Martin, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Martin

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > I've had a Canon AE-1 Program film camera since 1984, and over the
    > years built up a decent collection of lenses and converters. Since
    > 1999, I've migrated to digital, using the Olympus 3000Z. Now I'm
    > thinking of purchasing a digital SLR, and am leaning toward the Rebel
    > XT or the 20D.
    >
    > I'm wondering if any or all of my "manual focus" lens collection can be
    > used, either straight onto either of the cameras, or by using some sort
    > of mechanical adapter?

    Your AE-1 uses FD lenses. The new EOS digital cameras you're considering
    take EF and EF-S lenses.

    Your FD lenses won't fit physically. The mount is different. There are
    FD to EF adapters available, but the lens will have no automatic functions.
    Aperture and focus will be fully manual.

    One problem with adding an FD to EF adapter is that it moves the lens away
    from the sensor. Because of this, some of your lenses, may not be able to
    focus to infinity.
    Jim Townsend, Aug 29, 2005

  3. On 29 Aug 2005 08:54:21 -0700, "Martin" <>
    wrote:

    >I've had a Canon AE-1 Program film camera since 1984, and over the
    >years built up a decent collection of lenses and converters. Since
    >1999, I've migrated to digital, using the Olympus 3000Z. Now I'm
    >thinking of purchasing a digital SLR, and am leaning toward the Rebel
    >XT or the 20D.
    >
    >I'm wondering if any or all of my "manual focus" lens collection can be
    >used, either straight onto either of the cameras, or by using some sort
    >of mechanical adapter?

    I suggest you read these:

    http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html

    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    John A. Stovall, Aug 29, 2005
  4. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't realize that a mechanical adapter
    would fail to couple the aperture setting. Seems like that would be an
    easy thing to accomplish, since teleconverters do it cheaply and well.
    I agree focus would, of course, be manual, because the lens was always
    manual-focus anyway ;)

    I hadn't thought about the focus-at-infinity issue, but it makes sense
    because the camera's focal-plane distance would be increased slightly.

    Martin
    Martin, Aug 29, 2005
  5. Martin

    henryp Guest

    Hama Lens Mount Adapter - Canon FD & FL Lenses on Canon EOS Bodies
    Mfr# HA30845 ยท B&H# HALACFDCAF
    <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=89910&is=REG>

    This adapter allows for Canon FD and FL type lenses to be mounted onto
    a Canon EOS body.

    Unlike other simple mount adapters, this is an optical adapter which is
    actually at the same time also a short teleconverter, which increases
    the focal lenght by a factor of 1.25x, and reduces the lens aperture by
    approx. one f/stop. This adapter allows for focusing at infinity.

    Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video, Inc.
    henryp, Aug 29, 2005
  6. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Henry,

    I looked at the description at the link you provided, and nothing is
    said about whether the mechanical linkage is present to allow the
    camera body to set lens aperture. Do you know if this works?
    Otherwise, the setup would be reduced to manual exposure only.

    Martin
    Martin, Aug 29, 2005
  7. Martin

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > Henry,
    >
    > I looked at the description at the link you provided, and nothing is
    > said about whether the mechanical linkage is present to allow the
    > camera body to set lens aperture. Do you know if this works?
    > Otherwise, the setup would be reduced to manual exposure only.
    >
    > Martin

    It does not. EF lenses are full of electronics that send lens focal length,
    aperture and focus distance to the body.
    John
    JohnR66, Aug 29, 2005
  8. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thanks for all the discussions. I can see that this is not a practical
    solution. Even if I got everything coupled up correctly, apparently
    the modern digital autofocus bodies have nothing in the viewfinder to
    provide feedback on when the lens is properly focused (such as the
    split-disk screen in my AE-1).

    Martin
    Martin, Aug 29, 2005
  9. Martin

    Skip M Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > Henry,
    >
    > I looked at the description at the link you provided, and nothing is
    > said about whether the mechanical linkage is present to allow the
    > camera body to set lens aperture. Do you know if this works?
    > Otherwise, the setup would be reduced to manual exposure only.
    >
    > Martin

    Since the aperture on EOS cameras is set electronically, and on FD mount
    cameras it was set mechanically, the interface to do that with an FD mount
    lens on an EOS camera is not available.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com