    thanks in advance
    Mark

    , Apr 6, 2008

  2. george Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a nikon D80, and have been taking photos of in door kickboxing
    > events
    >
    > I have the kit 18-135 kit lense and the 50mm 1.8 lense
    >
    > the majority of my my photos are being taken ring side or very close
    > to it
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a lense thats good in low light with shutter speeds
    > of around 100 - 125
    >
    > photo's I have taken with the above equipment can be seen here
    >
    > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/16912970@N06/collections/
    > 72157604343795598/>
    >
    > to me the focus is better with the 18-135, but out on the 50mm when
    > taking action shots
    >
    > I am open to suggestions
    >
    > thanks in advance
    > Mark

    Why don't you check the EXIF data on the shots you've been taking with your
    zoom to see what focal length you use the most. I'd think that either the
    85mm f/1.4 or the 1.8 might be what you're looking for. Then, you'll have
    the speed you need and can make adjustments in the framing either by
    cropping or using your feet.

    george, Apr 7, 2008

  3. george wrote:
    []
    > Why don't you check the EXIF data on the shots you've been taking
    > with your zoom to see what focal length you use the most. I'd think
    > that either the 85mm f/1.4 or the 1.8 might be what you're looking
    > for. Then, you'll have the speed you need and can make adjustments
    > in the framing either by cropping or using your feet.

    There's a free program which will analyze your images and tell you the
    focal lengths in use. It plots a histogram for a directory full of
    images:

    http://www.cpr.demon.nl/prog_plotf.html

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 7, 2008
  4. tomm42 Guest

    On Apr 6, 6:43 pm, wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a nikon D80, and have been taking photos of in door kickboxing
    > events
    >
    > I have the kit 18-135 kit lense and the 50mm 1.8 lense
    >
    > the majority of my my photos are being taken ring side or very close
    > to it
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a lense thats good in low light with shutter speeds
    > of around 100 - 125
    >
    > photo's I have taken with the above equipment can be seen here
    >
    > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/16912970@N06/collections/
    > 72157604343795598/>
    >
    > to me the focus is better with the 18-135, but out on the 50mm when
    > taking action shots
    >
    > I am open to suggestions
    >
    > thanks in advance
    > Mark

    85 f1.8
    100 or 105 f2.8 macro, almost any brand is good
    105 or 135 f2 (portrait lenses but configureable for what you need)
    150 f2.8 Sigma
    50-150 f2.8 Sigma
    50-135 f2.8 Tokina
    70-210 f2.8 Nikon, very expensive but one of the best Nikon lenses
    There are some older AI-AIS Nikon lenses that are fairly fast like the
    105 f1.5 but they won't meter with your D80, could use a spot meter,
    but getting a good light reading is critical in this type of
    photography.

    Tom

    tomm42, Apr 7, 2008
  5. "David J Taylor"
    >There's a free program which will analyze your images and tell you the
    >focal lengths in use.

    How is that possible without accurate distance measurements of the
    objects that are depicted in the photo?

    > http://www.cpr.demon.nl/prog_plotf.html

    "With this new filter you can read EXIF info"

    Oh, it simply reads the EXIF data. Never mind.

    You can do that even easier by installing the EXIF extension for the
    file properties (assuming you are using Windows). This allows you mark
    any EXIF field to be displayed in the "Details" view in Windows File
    Browser and also to sort your files by any EXIF field.

    Only problem: I forgot from where I downloaded that extension (it was
    free).

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 7, 2008
  6. Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    >> There's a free program which will analyze your images and tell you
    >> the focal lengths in use.

    > How is that possible without accurate distance measurements of the
    > objects that are depicted in the photo?
    >
    >> http://www.cpr.demon.nl/prog_plotf.html

    > "With this new filter you can read EXIF info"
    >
    > Oh, it simply reads the EXIF data. Never mind.
    >
    > You can do that even easier by installing the EXIF extension for the
    > file properties (assuming you are using Windows). This allows you mark
    > any EXIF field to be displayed in the "Details" view in Windows File
    > Browser and also to sort your files by any EXIF field.
    >
    > Only problem: I forgot from where I downloaded that extension (it was
    > free).
    >
    > jue

    Jürgen,

    Yes it "just reads the EXIF data", but it can do that for all the files in
    a directory and provide you with a histogram showing the focal lengths
    used for all your pictures. That way, you can easily see if you are often
    at the limit - e.g. often using the widest angle possible on a camera with
    just a 35mm widest angle, and whether you /really/ use that expensive
    300mm lens you bought!

    Do try the program before dismissing it.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 7, 2008
  7. Chris Savage wrote:
    > On 2008-04-07, David J Taylor
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >> J?rgen Exner wrote:
    >>> "David J Taylor"
    >>>
    >>> How is that possible without accurate distance measurements of the
    >>> objects that are depicted in the photo?

    >>> "With this new filter you can read EXIF info"
    >>>
    >>> Oh, it simply reads the EXIF data. Never mind.
    >>>

    >> Yes it "just reads the EXIF data", but it can do that for all the
    >> files in a directory and provide you with a histogram showing the
    >> focal lengths

    > Not 'all files', only JPEGs.

    Yes. All the JPEG files. As the Web page says.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 7, 2008