    on it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Cheers.

    Regards,
    Nick.

    niicko, Sep 7, 2003

  2. niicko

    dslr Guest

    niicko wrote:

    > Hey guys!
    >
    > I've just bought the Canon EOS 10-D Body and now looking for a lens to stick
    > in it. I'm after just a normal everyday lens and a close up lens (real close
    > up lens). For food photography plus textures for 3d applications so quality
    > is necessary! I've spent a bit on the camera so I don't want to mount shit
    > on it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Cheers.

    A clue as to your budget would help ;-)

    One that is very good (but may or may not suit your pocket) is the
    28-135IS, a very good general purpose lens, which focusses pretty close,
    about a foot or so I think, and also works nicely with extension tubes
    to get the close focussing even closer if you need. It's around £400-450
    here in the UK, I don't know about Australian prices but I bet it's not
    as simple as an exchange rate conversion ;-)

    Another good lens is the cheapest Canon make, the 50mm/f1.8, very sharp,
    reasonably close focussing and also works well with extension tubes.
    That runs at around £80 over here.

    If you go down the extension tube road, don't bother with the Canon ones
    - they seem to fill them with more expensive air than anybody else.
    Kenko make a good set of three, I understand, for little more than one
    tube from Canon. I got my own (not Kenko, nor Canon) second-hand for £80
    IIRC.

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, Sep 7, 2003

  3. niicko

    Mark N Guest

    I use a canon 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 as my normal lens (a reasonable performer)
    until i save up for the 28-70L lens

    As for the macro lens, the best out there is the Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX macro
    which is simply divine if you dont mind slow noisy auto focusing.

    photozone rate this lens as 'outstanding'

    http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#F50

    And compared to the Canon 50mm (which does not go up to 1:1) its a third of
    the price. The Canon incidentally also has slow noisy auto focusing. I tried
    it for a week before swapping it fo rthe Sigma :)

    I also have the Sigma 180mm macro. Another awesome lens if you want extra
    working distance

    Regards, Mark N

    www.derbyshire-butterflies.co.uk

    Mark N, Sep 7, 2003
  4. "niicko" <> wrote in message
    > I'm after just a normal everyday lens

    Hmm... maybe two lenses. A wideangle zoom and a standard zoom (as you get
    substantially less field of view with lenses than you'd expect if you moved
    over from a 35mm background). If you feel you don't need wider angle lenses,
    consider a standard zoom and a macro lens. Macro lenses can be surprisingly
    addictive as you go roaming around looking for tiny things to take pictures
    of.
    So, suggestions;
    I believe the Canon 28-105/3.5-?? is a well-thought of zoom, and gives
    plenty of room for manouevre.
    The Canon 24-70mm/2.8 L is certainly a more "digital friendly" lens, has a
    constant, wide maximum aperture, and is sharp as hell... and costs more than
    your 10D. Save for it if you must, but don't buy now if you can't afford it.
    You'll have that 10D sitting around doing nothing for a loooong time.
    As a cheap alternative to the L-lens, check out the Tokina 28-70/2.8 Pro SV.
    Sure, it's not Canon, it's not ultrasonic and so on... but it's a modern
    classic of a design, and the latest SV incarnation is very compact and
    solid-feeling. It's not going to be as sharp as the Canon L, and won't be
    perfect at wide aperture stops, but it will match the 28-105 at similar
    apertures.
    If you like macro, while the Canon 50mm and 100mm are good, consider the
    Tamron 90mm. It's sharp, makes a terrific portrait and macro lens and will
    get in extremely close.
    Get a 50mm f1.8 standard lens. At about $100 or less, it's one you shouldn't
    be without.
    Avoid Sigma on general principles; there are enough bad reports about
    compatibility issues to make them unappealing. Avoid older, used Sigma like
    the plague. When Canon update their cameras (and there aren't many more
    up-to-date Canons than the 10D) Sigma lenses need rechipping in order to
    remain compatible. I tried an old 28-70 Sigma on an EOS 3; it only focused
    in one direction.
    Avoid brands like Vivitar, Cosina, Pheonix etc. altogether. With some
    exceptions, Canon lenses will beat them hands down. In fact, most Sigma,
    Tamron and Tokina lenses will beat them hands down...

    --
    Martin
    *insert wit here*

    Martin Francis, Sep 7, 2003
  5. niicko

    niicko Guest

    Cheers guys! Much appreciate your quick replies. Sorry for not posting a
    budget, I was looking in the vicinity of AUD$600 for the macro and the same
    for the general purpose. There is allot of info there so I will spend the
    next week getting through it and reading reviews. Cheers all!

    Regards,
    Nick.

    niicko, Sep 7, 2003
  6. niicko

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <bjesne$ft2$>,
    says...
    > Hey guys!
    >
    > I've just bought the Canon EOS 10-D Body and now looking for a lens to stick
    > in it. I'm after just a normal everyday lens and a close up lens (real close
    > up lens). For food photography plus textures for 3d applications so quality
    > is necessary! I've spent a bit on the camera so I don't want to mount shit
    > on it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Cheers.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nick.

    I have the 28-135IS USM and the 50mm f/1.8 for my 10D and I am very
    happy with both of them. If I were buying a macro lens (which is number
    2 on my list right now,) I would get the Canon 100mm macro.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 7, 2003
  7. niicko

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Mark N wrote:

    > I use a canon 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 as my normal lens (a reasonable performer)
    > until i save up for the 28-70L lens
    >
    > As for the macro lens, the best out there is the Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX macro
    > which is simply divine if you dont mind slow noisy auto focusing.

    I'll second the Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 as being great bang for the buck. I'm
    very happy with mine.

    You may be able to save a bit picking up a Canon 250D close up lens for macro
    work. They aren't cheap, (~$140AUD) but will provide decent macro capability.

    http://centre.net.au/Canon_250D_58mm_Close_up_Lens_0006Q4.html

    Canon also makes a 500D, but that's designed for longer lenses (~100mm) I one
    on my Canon 100-300mm lens

    Jim Townsend, Sep 8, 2003
  8. niicko

    Guest

    In message <bjf1dr$4hq$>,
    "Martin Francis" <> wrote:

    >Avoid brands like Vivitar, Cosina, Pheonix etc. altogether.

    Aren't all of those made by Cosina, and just re-branded?
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Sep 8, 2003
  9. <> wrote in message
    > In message <bjf1dr$4hq$>,
    > "Martin Francis" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Avoid brands like Vivitar, Cosina, Pheonix etc. altogether.

    > Aren't all of those made by Cosina, and just re-branded?

    They are all rebadged versions of the same lens, yes. They were probably all
    made by a sweatshop of trained monkeys in darkest Peru for all I know; all I
    can be certain of is that if the OP doesn't want sh*t lenses, he doesn't
    want these.

    --
    Martin
    *insert wit here*