    Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
    lens with something else....

    Thanks.
    Visen, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Visen

    Banjopikr1 Guest

    >Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
    >lens with something else....

    I did not replace my "Kit" lens, but did buy another, 75-300, IS USM lens. It
    is excellent. However, I got very good results with the 18-55 lens also.

    Ken
    Banjopikr1, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Visen wrote:

    > Hello,
    > This summer I bough the Digital Rebel Kit with the EF-S 18-50mm lens.
    > Now im looking to replace with a similar "all-around" lens but with better optics(sharpness).
    >
    > For now I am considering the Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS lens.
    > Would this lens give me noticeably sharper, better shots then the kit lens?

    The 28-135mm USM IS is an excellent and sharp lens.
    Roger
    Many images on my web site were done with this lens:
    http://www.clarkvision.com
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Dec 26, 2003
  4. Visen

    dylan Guest

    Take a look at
    http://www.photographyreview.com/pscLenses/35mm,Zoom/Canon,EF,28-135mm,f-3.5
    -5.6,IS,USM/PRD_83415_3128crx.aspx#reviews, interesting that reviews vary
    from 1/5 to 5/5 !. Maybe there's an issue with particular camera bodies or
    lenses ?

    dylan, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Visen

    Bill Jones Guest

    In article <L1OGb.23425$>, vbrnic20
    @studentXXX.scadYYY.eduZZZnospam says...

    http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/300D/EOS_300D_lenses.html
    Bill Jones, Dec 26, 2003
  6. Visen

    John Llort Guest

    "Visen" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > This summer I bough the Digital Rebel Kit with the EF-S 18-50mm lens.
    > Now im looking to replace with a similar "all-around" lens but with better

    optics(sharpness).

    > For now I am considering the Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS lens.
    > Would this lens give me noticeably sharper, better shots then the kit

    lens?

    > Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
    > lens with something else....
    >
    > Thanks.

    I suspect this is your first slr, What are the shutter speeds of your
    average shots, no the 28-135mm USM IS lens is not better only has IS for
    camera shake since that lens is slow, you should be getting good pictures
    with the 18-50 lens, I suspect a procedure problem.
    John Llort, Dec 26, 2003
  7. In article <MPG.1a55eb3771ccbd9f989692@news>,
    Bill Jones <> wrote:

    > In article <L1OGb.23425$>, vbrnic20
    > @studentXXX.scadYYY.eduZZZnospam says...
    > > Hello,
    > > This summer I bough the Digital Rebel Kit with the EF-S 18-50mm lens.
    > > Now im looking to replace with a similar "all-around" lens but with better
    > > optics(sharpness).
    > >
    > > For now I am considering the Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS lens.
    > > Would this lens give me noticeably sharper, better shots then the kit lens?
    > >
    > > Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
    > > lens with something else....
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/300D/EOS_300D_lenses.html

    Good link.

    I purchased a Tamron 28-200 to go with the kit's 18-55. Both are poor
    quality lenses but their light weight, range, and expendability make
    them a perfect duo for hiking, beaches, parties and amusement parks.
    Actually, the kit 18-55 would be a good lens if the focus assembly
    didn't sag or wobble out of focus.

    Now I'm looking for better lenses for indoors and road trips.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 27, 2003
  8. Visen

    DHB Guest

    "Now I'm looking for better lenses for indoors and road trips."

    Might I suggest the Canon 50mm f1.8 II which will act much like an 80mm
    on the 300D/10D. This lens should cost you no more than $70 USD & will
    likely be the fastest lens in your bag.

    Existing light indoor shots with this lens are rather easy if you set
    the ISO to 800. If you have a very stead handhold technique or brace
    against something ISO 400 can yield quality pictures depending on the
    lighting & how quickly your
    subject(s) move(s). ISO 1600 has noticeable & IMHO objectionable noise so I
    try to avoid it wherever possible & yes I have a quality noise reduction
    program but find it better to avoid noise whenever possible rather than to
    attempt to correct it latter.

    IMHO a Canon 50mm f1.8 II ($70 USD) is something every 300D/10D owner
    should strongly consider. Yes it's a light plastic bodied lens but it's
    optics are outstanding & even if I wear mine out in 2 to 4 years, I think it
    would have been money well spent! Never though I would like a 50mm lens so
    much but on my 300D it is a great everyday lens for many situations
    especially in low light / existing light photography which I enjoy so much.

    Hope this is of some value.

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Dec 27, 2003
  9. Visen

    ricardo Guest

    For what its worth, I use the kit 18-55mm, 28-105mm 3.5/5.6 usm II and
    the 75-300 usm II. This gives a nice 28-480mm range which should cover
    most needs.

    Richard Alexander
    I.D.I.G
    D.A.P.A

    ricardo, Dec 28, 2003
  10. "Visen" <> wrote:

    >This summer I bough the Digital Rebel Kit with the EF-S 18-50mm lens.
    >Now im looking to replace with a similar "all-around" lens but with better optics(sharpness).
    >
    >For now I am considering the Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS lens.
    >Would this lens give me noticeably sharper, better shots then the kit lens?
    >
    >Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
    >lens with something else....

    The 28-125 is in no way a replacement for the 18-55. The IS lens will have no
    wide-angle focal lengths on a DRebel. If you never take pictures at these
    focal lengths, you are OK but I take 75% of my pictures at wide angle
    settings.

    What makes you think your problems are caused by the lens? The tests I've
    seen in the photo magazines claim the lens is sharp.

    --
    The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese, Jan 2, 2004