    practically useless to me unless I can somehow get it to fit my Mavica.

    Thanks in advance for any input.

    Linda
    Linda, Jun 19, 2004

  2. Linda

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:52:50 GMT, "Linda" <> wrote:

    >I want to get closer shots with my F828...bad seats at a baseball game, or
    >not able to get close enough at the zoo, or whatever. What lens should I
    >buy for that? I bought a 3x telephoto lens off of Ebay that I've already
    >talked about on here. It looks like I'm looking through a pinhole or
    >something and the picture is terrible. So, now I have a lens that's
    >practically useless to me unless I can somehow get it to fit my Mavica.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any input.
    >
    >Linda

    Cameras (such as your Mavica) use fixed lenses - they can't be
    removed, so you're stuck with them. Obviously (that means, You knew
    that).
    In order to get more magnification, you'll need to use another lens in
    front of the one you already have. Obviously (again!).
    The problem is that in order for the two lenses to work together, they
    need to be pretty much compatible with each other.

    Here's where Ebay enters into the question.
    The teleconverter lenses you see for not much money on Ebay are, in
    fact, lenses designed to be used with video cameras; video cameras
    don't need the kind of quality our still cameras do; video for ther US
    (NTSC) is 740x480. Even give-away digital cameras do better than that.
    (Well, most of them.)
    These lenses are, to put it mildly, crap. They are crappy in glass
    quality, element design, entry and exit pupil size. They give you poor
    quality at their center, and truly horrible quality at the edge. And
    they vignette.

    What you need is a lens designed for a digital camera. And they aren't
    cheap.
    Sony does make some teleconverter lenses:

    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...ccessories_DILenses&Dept=dcc_DIDigitalCameras

    Look out for wrap; that's a long URL!
    Note these are not cheap, but they are in the normal price range for
    what you want.
    Good luck!

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"