    Specifically, what are some lasers whose picture quality is much better than
    the DVD version?

    Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs
    Curtin/Dobbs, May 12, 2004

  2. Curtin/Dobbs

    drsd2kill Guest

    WHITE CHRISTMAS

    LES MISERABLES IN CONCERT

    for the most part STAR!
    drsd2kill, May 12, 2004

  3. Curtin/Dobbs

    TB Guest

    Curtin/Dobbs wrote:
    > What are some laser disc titles that are better than their DVD counterparts?
    >
    > Specifically, what are some lasers whose picture quality is much better than
    > the DVD version?
    >
    > Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs

    Titanic DTS laserdisc is far better then then dvd, especially the
    soundtrack.

    T.B.
    TB, May 12, 2004
  4. On 12 May 2004, drsd2kill wrote:

    > WHITE CHRISTMAS
    >
    > for the most part STAR!

    Really? I have both of these on laserdisc...what makes them better?

    swac
    Stephen Cooke, May 12, 2004
  5. Curtin/Dobbs

    ron felder Guest

    unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser. much
    easier to decode the same dts on dvd

    ron felder, May 13, 2004
  6. Curtin/Dobbs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "ron felder" <> wrote in message
    > unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser.

    much
    > easier to decode the same dts on dvd

    You're thinking of Dolby Digital. DTS on laserdisc works exactly the
    same as it works on DVD. All you need is a player with a Toslink or coax
    digital output and a receiver that is compatible with DTS.

    It's Dolby Digital that you need an RF-demodulator for, and is generally
    a much bigger pain in the ass to decode from an LD.
    Joshua Zyber, May 13, 2004
  7. Curtin/Dobbs

    TB Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "ron felder" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser.

    > much easier to decode the same dts on dvd
    >
    > You're thinking of Dolby Digital. DTS on laserdisc works exactly the
    > same as it works on DVD. All you need is a player with a Toslink or coax
    > digital output and a receiver that is compatible with DTS.
    >
    > It's Dolby Digital that you need an RF-demodulator for, and is generally
    > a much bigger pain in the ass to decode from an LD.

    Not to mention the dvd of Titanic doesn't have a DTS soundtrack.

    T.B.
    TB, May 13, 2004
  8. Curtin/Dobbs

    harrison Guest

    "Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    > What are some laser disc titles that are better than their DVD

    counterparts?

    > Specifically, what are some lasers whose picture quality is much better

    than
    > the DVD version?
    >
    > Thanks...Curtin/Dobbs

    Starstruck, the Australian musical is much better on LD than DVD. If there
    were a DVD, perhaps my statement would bemore difficult to defend.

    Dave
    harrison, May 13, 2004
  9. Curtin/Dobbs

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1040512173436.7664A-100000
    @halifax.chebucto.ns.ca>, says...
    > On 12 May 2004, drsd2kill wrote:

    > > WHITE CHRISTMAS
    > >
    > > for the most part STAR!

    > Really? I have both of these on laserdisc...what makes them better?

    In the case of STAR!, they managed to completely screw up the colors on
    the DVD. The LD is much more accurate as to what the film actually
    looked like. Plus, they inexplicably cut the intermission from the DVD.
    Bottom line: keep your LD.

    Dave
    Dave Garrett, May 14, 2004
  10. Curtin/Dobbs

    jayembee Guest

    "Curtin/Dobbs" <> wrote:

    > What are some laser disc titles that are better than
    > their DVD counterparts?

    FEARLESS. The LD is widescreen, the DVD is fullscreen. Ditto
    for ALPHAVILLE -- Criterion's LD was widescreen, but they
    released their DVD fullscreen at Godard's request.

    > Specifically, what are some lasers whose picture quality
    > is much better than the DVD version?

    The Hong Kong import DVD of RAISE THE RED LANTERN is widescreen
    while the Columbia domestic LD is fullscreen. However, the
    LD's image has a sharper picture, and richer color.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, May 14, 2004
  11. I've read that the sound is much better on LD for "Journey to the
    Centre of the Earth".
    Maureen Goldman, May 16, 2004
  12. Joshua Zyber wrote:

    >"ron felder" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>unfortunately most people can't decode the dts soundtrack on laser.
    >>

    >much
    >

    >>easier to decode the same dts on dvd
    >>

    >You're thinking of Dolby Digital. DTS on laserdisc works exactly the
    >same as it works on DVD. All you need is a player with a Toslink or coax
    >digital output and a receiver that is compatible with DTS.
    >
    >It's Dolby Digital that you need an RF-demodulator for, and is generally
    >a much bigger pain in the ass to decode from an LD.

    Josh, I respect your opinions and knowledge, but why do you - and
    probably others - think DD is such a pain? Both of my players have RF
    outputs for DD, both connect to my demodulator with ease, and bingo!
    I've got DD!

    Granted, if you don't have an AC3RF output it's a pain, but one can be
    added to most players, and demodulators aren't _that_ hard to find
    (nobody seems to want the extra one I'm trying to sell), so if you're
    willing to undergo the "pain" of dealing with that big huge disc, and
    can stifle your impatience waiting for that ten-second side change (or,
    even worse, inserting that third side for the end of the movie), then
    getting DD from a laserdisc is a cinch! Primitive technology is FUN!

    Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

    Happy trails,
    Larry B.

    Larry Blumenfeld, May 16, 2004
  13. Curtin/Dobbs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Larry Blumenfeld" <> wrote in message
    > Josh, I respect your opinions and knowledge, but why do you - and
    > probably others - think DD is such a pain? Both of my players have RF
    > outputs for DD, both connect to my demodulator with ease, and bingo!
    > I've got DD!

    It's a pain in comparison to DVD, where you just connect the digital
    output from the player to the digital input on the receiver and you're
    set to go for basically all movie sound formats. On laserdisc you can
    only get DD from players with an RF-output, which much be then connected
    to an external RF-demodulator (usually sell in the range of $150-200),
    and from there into a separate digital input on the receiver.

    Considering that Dolby Digital was introduced late in the game for
    laserdisc (1995), and that the PCM digital tracks often sound richer and
    fuller than compressed Dolby Digital anyway even though you lose the
    discrete rear surrounds, the hassle of Dolby Digital is usually not
    worth the effort for casual LD owners with small disc collections.
    Joshua Zyber, May 16, 2004
  14. Curtin/Dobbs

    VBV20 Guest

    Criterion edition of Taxi Driver.
    VBV20, May 17, 2004
  15. Curtin/Dobbs

    ron felder Guest

    understand. so in closing it's easier all the way around audio wise on a DVD
    than on ld

    ron felder, May 18, 2004
  16. Curtin/Dobbs

    ron felder Guest

    only newer players have the ac-3 output first off. secondly it's just plain
    cheaper on a DVD, nothing extra to buy. if your player is like mine and no
    ac-3 output then you have the added expense of putting one in. either by
    yourself or more costly have someone do it for you. plus to be honest I
    started with ld's when the first vp-1000 from pioneer came out. so my
    collection is old .once DVD's came out I stopped buying ld's so most of my
    collection is from the 80's where Dolby digital 5.1 and dts didn't even
    exist. all around plain and simple DVD audio is simpler and cheaper to
    decode.

    Ron

    ron felder, May 18, 2004
  17. Curtin/Dobbs

    ron felder Guest

    that's my point,. though I find Dolby digital and dts sound better than the
    pcm on the ld. dts is better than Dolby digital and both better than pcm. it
    sounds more robust, louder plus the bass is better. let alone the two extra
    rear channels

    Ron

    ron felder, May 18, 2004
  18. Curtin/Dobbs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "ron felder" <> wrote in message
    > understand. so in closing it's easier all the way around audio wise on

    a DVD
    > than on ld

    Easier yes. "Better" is subjective. At least when it comes to 2-channel
    sources, laserdisc PCM sounds vastly better than Dolby Digital 2.0. The
    5.1 sound options are more evenly matched.
    Joshua Zyber, May 18, 2004
  19. Curtin/Dobbs

    Biz Guest

    > "ron felder" <> wrote in message
    > > understand. so in closing it's easier all the way around audio wise on

    > a DVD
    > > than on ld

    > Easier yes. "Better" is subjective. At least when it comes to 2-channel
    > sources, laserdisc PCM sounds vastly better than Dolby Digital 2.0. The
    > 5.1 sound options are more evenly matched.

    What about DVDs with PCM audio as well? It really isnt fair to compare a LD
    with PCM audio to a DVD without the same PCM audio as well.
    Biz, May 18, 2004
  20. Curtin/Dobbs

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 03:00:07 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> Gave us:

    >"ron felder" <> wrote in message
    >> understand. so in closing it's easier all the way around audio wise on

    >a DVD
    >> than on ld

    >Easier yes. "Better" is subjective. At least when it comes to 2-channel
    >sources, laserdisc PCM sounds vastly better than Dolby Digital 2.0. The
    >5.1 sound options are more evenly matched.

    My Joe Kane Video Essentials disc on LD is far far superior to the
    DVD, and I was tempted to ask ol' Joe for my fucking money back or
    demand that he re-do it with some actual conscious effort involved.
    Goddamned money hungry grubbers screw everything up... every time.
    DarkMatter, May 18, 2004