    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, May 18, 2006

  2. J. Clarke

    Matt Clara Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Something I never see discussed amid all the Canon vs Nikon and
    > point-and-shoot vs SLR and the like.

    Well, there's natural light--I use that whenever I can. Then there's the
    SB800--arguably the best flash in the world today. And then there's my two
    B-800s by www.alienbees.com.

    --
    Regards,
    Matt Clara

    Matt Clara, May 18, 2006

  3. J. Clarke

    george Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > Something I never see discussed amid all the Canon vs Nikon and
    > point-and-shoot vs SLR and the like.
    >

    > --
    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Really vague question...not sure of the context you are thinking of. I
    mostly use sunlight but often use artificial available light as well. If
    you mean what do I attach to my camera on the go IF I need to supply light,
    I use a Nikon SB-800 for the iTTL. OR, if you mean what do I use when I am
    controlling all light, I use Bowens Prolite 100 studio type flashes. So,
    where were you trying to take this and why? Did I happen to answer your
    question?

    George

    george, May 18, 2006
  4. Matt Clara wrote:

    > Well, there's natural light--I use that whenever I can. Then there's
    > the SB800--arguably the best flash in the world today. And then
    > there's my two B-800s by www.alienbees.com.

    Agreed! I love them SB800s as well. It's always best to pack several
    SB800s since they are so versatile and portable for creative lighting
    solutions. Don't need 120V AC, which is a plus for me.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, May 18, 2006
  5. J. Clarke

    Sheldon Guest

    For shooting what?

    Sheldon, May 18, 2006
  6. J. Clarke

    Cheesehead Guest

    I've got 2 Sunpak 611 flashes.
    Pleanty of power when used direct (GN160) or with minimal diffusion.
    And they're relatively inexpensive. Just add slave modules.

    In natural light, for fill, I set it at a small fraction of power
    output, line 1/32 or so,
    and don't fuss about calculations. It's generally *close enough*.

    Cheesehead, May 18, 2006
  7. J. Clarke

    Dave Guest

    I use the on-camera flash on my Canon 20D once in a while. I'm still new to
    my system but the camera flash has come in handy to add a little fill when
    shooting outdoors with back lighting. I add on my Canon 580EX for more
    flash. It seems too work well as long as it's within it's range.

    But, I love natural light the best. With fast lenses and the ability to
    change ISO you can shoot almost any place and any time.

    Most of the digital point and shoot cameras don't have a lot flash power.
    Some are pretty good within about 4-5 feet. I'm not too pleased with my
    Canon S60 when it comes to ISO changes and the camera flash. It's also new
    to me so I'm still a student with it.

    Dave, May 18, 2006
  8. J. Clarke

    secheese Guest

    On Thu, 18 May 2006 05:44:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >Something I never see discussed amid all the Canon vs Nikon and
    >point-and-shoot vs SLR and the like.

    Natural light or 420EX flash.

    secheese, May 19, 2006
  9. J. Clarke

    Steve Guest

    Another vote for a SB-800, AWESOME flash.

    I am now up to 3!

    Steve

    Steve, May 19, 2006
  10. J. Clarke

    RW+/- Guest

    horses

    RW+/-, May 19, 2006
  11. J. Clarke

    Hunt Guest

    In article <>, lid
    says...

    >Something I never see discussed amid all the Canon vs Nikon and
    >point-and-shoot vs SLR and the like.
    >

    >--
    >--John

    John,

    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. I'll take a stab and see if it
    answers your qustion. I use what ever the shot requires. Don't mean to be
    glib, but if the scene is an architectural interior with lighting designed as
    part of the scheme, I'll usually augment it with quartz lights. If the "view"
    out of the window is important, I'll use strobe, and either gel the interior
    incandescent lights, or replace the bulbs with daylight balanced ones - same
    for flourescent tubes. If it's a home interior, I'll often let the warmth of
    existing incandescent instruments add a bit of yellow-red - depends on the
    effect that I, and the client want to achieve.

    For product shots, it's the same. If I can work with "hot-lights" to the
    benefit of the shoot, I'll break out the Lowells. If I can best use strobe,
    then out come the Speedotrons.

    For smaller stuff, the Nikon SB's do an adequate job, and if I happen to be
    doing people who are not models (for whatever reason), I'll use the SB's.

    In some cases, I prefer to use total ambient light, but it is because of what
    I find on that particular location.

    The shot tells me what system I should use, and I always listen to the shot!

    Hope this helps,
    Hunt

    Hunt, May 20, 2006