What kind of browser for Windows 98?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by P@trick., May 13, 2009.

  1. P@trick.

    P@trick. Guest

    I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
    has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
    have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
    weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
    of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
    view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
    the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    my system. Is there an older version that would run using
    Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
    an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
    versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
    do some good?

    Thanks for any help!
    P@trick., May 13, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. P@trick.

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, P@trick.
    says...
    >
    > I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
    > has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
    > have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
    > weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
    > of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
    > view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
    > the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    > my system. Is there an older version that would run using
    > Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
    > an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
    > versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
    > do some good?
    >

    Try Opera.



    --
    Conor

    I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't
    looking good either. - Scott Adams
    Conor, May 13, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. P@trick.

    Paul Guest

    P@trick. wrote:
    > I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
    > has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
    > have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
    > weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
    > of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
    > view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
    > the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    > my system. Is there an older version that would run using
    > Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
    > an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
    > versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
    > do some good?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!


    How about the Opera browser ?

    http://www.opera.com/support/kb/view/386/

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_browser

    Paul
    Paul, May 13, 2009
    #3
  4. P@trick.

    JD Guest

    P@trick. wrote:
    > I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
    > has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
    > have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
    > weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
    > of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
    > view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
    > the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    > my system. Is there an older version that would run using
    > Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
    > an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
    > versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
    > do some good?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!


    Hi there you Can probably find a browser that works for you here
    www.oldversion.com

    However I would highly recommend updating your Computer to a more modern
    PC with a new OS (XP, Vista, etc) or at the very least give Linux a try
    (www.ubuntu.com will probably suite your needs just fine) Windows 98 was
    and still is a terrible OS it will be badly insecure on the net not to
    mention slow and temperamental.

    JD
    JD, May 13, 2009
    #4
  5. P@trick.

    Mike Easter Guest

    P@trick. wrote:
    > I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it.


    > I tried
    > the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    > my system.


    You can run FF3 with KernelEx.

    > Is there an older version that would run using
    > Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
    > an improvement?


    You can run FF2 without any supplement. You can run K-Meleon which is
    based on the same Gecko engine as FF.

    You can run Opera.

    > I didn't see an option to download older
    > versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
    > do some good?


    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html Download Firefox
    2.0.0.20

    http://x86.neostrada.pl/KernelEx/ KernelEx is an Open Source
    compatibility layer with an aim to allow running Windows 2000/XP-only
    applications on Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows Millennium
    operating systems.

    http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/ K-Meleon is an extremely fast,
    customizable, lightweight web browser based on the Gecko layout engine
    developed by Mozilla which is also used by Firefox.

    http://www.opera.com/browser/




    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 13, 2009
    #5
  6. P@trick.

    Mike Easter Guest

    P@trick. wrote:
    > I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it.


    What exactly is the hardware, cpu & ram?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 13, 2009
    #6
  7. "JD" <> wrote in message
    news:4a0b1392$0$26978$...
    > P@trick. wrote:
    >> I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
    >> has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements have been made it
    >> will no longer show most maps, or the
    >> weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
    >> of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
    >> view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
    >> the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    >> my system. Is there an older version that would run using Windows 98, and
    >> if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
    >> an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
    >> versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
    >> do some good?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!

    >
    > Hi there you Can probably find a browser that works for you here
    > www.oldversion.com
    >
    > However I would highly recommend updating your Computer to a more modern
    > PC with a new OS (XP, Vista, etc) or at the very least give Linux a try
    > (www.ubuntu.com will probably suite your needs just fine) Windows 98 was
    > and still is a terrible OS it will be badly insecure on the net not to
    > mention slow and temperamental.
    >
    > JD


    With each new generation of Windows OSs, users increasingly trash older OSs.
    This will always be the case. When Win95 came along, Win 3... sucked. When
    98 came along, 95 sucked. The only exception to this rule was Vista. When
    Vista came along, Vista sucked.

    Many of us did just fine using older generation OSs and older computers. I
    only upgraded to a P3 two years ago, and I ran Win ME. I LOVED ME (<---
    that looks funny). However, upgrades are being forced upon us regardless of
    our desires. When MS dropped support for 98 (and subsequently, ME), so did
    my ISP, and suddenly I no longer had Internet. I was forced to upgrade to
    XP.

    I've more or less gotten the hang of XP now. There are still things here
    or there I don't like, but I've gotten used to it. Perhaps more secure than
    previous generations (supposedly), but much more tempermental.

    Although I don't agree with the above trash talk and I don't share the
    sentiment that older is garbage, I do agree it's time to upgrade, like it or
    not. You'll find fewer and fewer capabilities with your older system.

    Though much better systems are available, if money is an issue, there are
    the Wally World specials. It's better to spring for $300 for a low-end
    P4-equiv. with Windows and some software loaded, than pump out $90 for the
    Windows upgrade and still not have a fast enough processor and sufficient
    RAM to play games.

    Some alternate browser versions are suggested, but in the long run, these
    will be quick fixes.

    Good luck!

    Woof
    James D. Andrews, May 13, 2009
    #7
  8. P@trick.

    JD Guest

    James D. Andrews wrote:

    >
    > With each new generation of Windows OSs, users increasingly trash older OSs.
    > This will always be the case. When Win95 came along, Win 3... sucked. When
    > 98 came along, 95 sucked. The only exception to this rule was Vista. When
    > Vista came along, Vista sucked.


    I was not saying Win9x is trash Because its older, I was pointing out
    that windows 9x Is no longer supported, has many bugs and no real
    security, if you are using this on the internet esp for internet banking
    or purchasing this is a very bad idea


    > Many of us did just fine using older generation OSs and older computers. I
    > only upgraded to a P3 two years ago, and I ran Win ME. I LOVED ME (<---
    > that looks funny). However, upgrades are being forced upon us regardless of
    > our desires. When MS dropped support for 98 (and subsequently, ME), so did
    > my ISP, and suddenly I no longer had Internet. I was forced to upgrade to
    > XP.


    I think supporting a product for over 10 years is more than enough,
    However I do agree with you on forced upgrades, but then again I did
    also suggest a free alternative that was not only more secure but would
    run on older hardware, you didn't seriously like Windows ME did you?
    that barley even worked it was even slower and more buggy than windows
    9x, Why people never used windows 2000 then amazes me, that was a pretty
    decent OS.

    > I've more or less gotten the hang of XP now. There are still things here
    > or there I don't like, but I've gotten used to it. Perhaps more secure than
    > previous generations (supposedly), but much more tempermental.


    Windows XP claimed to be the most secure version of windows ever at the
    time, however I was the least secure version it was so bad they had to
    make Service pack 2 which is nearly a whole different OS than the one
    they released.

    > Although I don't agree with the above trash talk and I don't share the
    > sentiment that older is garbage, I do agree it's time to upgrade, like it or
    > not. You'll find fewer and fewer capabilities with your older system.


    Seriously how can anyone say Windows 9x was a good OS, I said it then I
    say it now, it has nothing to do with the fact that it is "older" (I was
    using WORKBENCH on an amiga before I went to PC's and that was better
    than windows 9x lol)
    If you use your PC for any length of time get a newer machine (and newer
    OS), It's a better and more productive experience for yourself.

    JD
    JD, May 14, 2009
    #8
  9. P@trick.

    Guest

    On May 13, 11:21 am, P@trick. wrote:
    > I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
    > has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
    > have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
    > weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
    > of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
    > view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
    > the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    > my system. Is there an older version that would run using
    > Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
    > an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
    > versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
    > do some good?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!


    I am using Firefox 2.0, Netscape 9.0 and Opera 9.23 on Windows 98SE.
    They work fine on The Weather Channel.

    Netscape 9.0 requires a separate down load of two files, MSVCP71.DLL
    and msvcr71.dll. Do not ask me why the filenames use differing cases.

    Good luck.

    Herbert
    , May 14, 2009
    #9
  10. P@trick.

    Peter Guest

    In article <>, P@trick.
    says...
    > I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
    > has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
    > have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
    > weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
    > of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
    > view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
    > the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    > my system. Is there an older version that would run using
    > Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
    > an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
    > versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
    > do some good?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >


    What sites exactly are you getting checking maps and weather from. I
    have a win98SE comp here and can access most sites without any problems
    using both IE and Opera.

    --
    Pete Ives
    Remove All_stRESS before sending me an email
    Peter, May 14, 2009
    #10
  11. P@trick.

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <4a0b1392$0$26978$>, JD
    <> scribeth thus
    >P@trick. wrote:
    >> I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
    >> has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
    >> have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
    >> weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
    >> of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
    >> view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
    >> the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    >> my system. Is there an older version that would run using
    >> Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
    >> an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
    >> versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
    >> do some good?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!

    >
    >Hi there you Can probably find a browser that works for you here
    >www.oldversion.com
    >
    >However I would highly recommend updating your Computer to a more modern
    >PC with a new OS (XP, Vista, etc) or at the very least give Linux a try
    >(www.ubuntu.com will probably suite your needs just fine) Windows 98 was
    >and still is a terrible OS it will be badly insecure on the net not to
    >mention slow and temperamental.
    >
    >JD


    I'd second that, try Linux or if you can get hold of a copy WIN 200 pro
    that was, and still is, a very good operating system

    I was glad to see the back of WIN 98 it really was a doggie;!...

    As to browser Firefox .. good stable and free:))..
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, May 14, 2009
    #11
  12. P@trick.

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <36GOl.22256$>, James D. Andrews
    <> scribeth thus
    >
    >"JD" <> wrote in message
    >news:4a0b1392$0$26978$...
    >> P@trick. wrote:
    >>> I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
    >>> has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements have been made it
    >>> will no longer show most maps, or the
    >>> weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
    >>> of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
    >>> view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
    >>> the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    >>> my system. Is there an older version that would run using Windows 98, and
    >>> if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
    >>> an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
    >>> versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
    >>> do some good?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help!

    >>
    >> Hi there you Can probably find a browser that works for you here
    >> www.oldversion.com
    >>
    >> However I would highly recommend updating your Computer to a more modern
    >> PC with a new OS (XP, Vista, etc) or at the very least give Linux a try
    >> (www.ubuntu.com will probably suite your needs just fine) Windows 98 was
    >> and still is a terrible OS it will be badly insecure on the net not to
    >> mention slow and temperamental.
    >>
    >> JD

    >
    >With each new generation of Windows OSs, users increasingly trash older OSs.
    >This will always be the case. When Win95 came along, Win 3... sucked. When
    >98 came along, 95 sucked. The only exception to this rule was Vista. When
    >Vista came along, Vista sucked.
    >
    >Many of us did just fine using older generation OSs and older computers. I
    >only upgraded to a P3 two years ago, and I ran Win ME. I LOVED ME (<---
    >that looks funny).


    Wine ME was like the human virus of the same name;!..

    > However, upgrades are being forced upon us regardless of
    >our desires. When MS dropped support for 98 (and subsequently, ME), so did
    >my ISP, and suddenly I no longer had Internet. I was forced to upgrade to
    >XP.


    WIN 2000 was about the best they did.. 98 was shite..

    For most else LINUX:)...
    >
    >I've more or less gotten the hang of XP now. There are still things here
    >or there I don't like, but I've gotten used to it. Perhaps more secure than
    >previous generations (supposedly), but much more tempermental.
    >
    >Although I don't agree with the above trash talk and I don't share the
    >sentiment that older is garbage, I do agree it's time to upgrade, like it or
    >not. You'll find fewer and fewer capabilities with your older system.
    >
    >Though much better systems are available, if money is an issue, there are
    >the Wally World specials. It's better to spring for $300 for a low-end
    >P4-equiv. with Windows and some software loaded, than pump out $90 for the
    >Windows upgrade and still not have a fast enough processor and sufficient
    >RAM to play games.
    >
    >Some alternate browser versions are suggested,


    Yep .. Firefox is the one of choice now:))..

    >but in the long run, these
    >will be quick fixes.
    >
    >Good luck!
    >
    >Woof
    >
    >
    >


    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, May 14, 2009
    #12
  13. P@trick.

    sandy58 Guest

    On May 13, 4:21 pm, P@trick. wrote:
    > I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
    > has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
    > have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
    > weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
    > of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
    > view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
    > the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    > my system. Is there an older version that would run using
    > Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
    > an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
    > versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
    > do some good?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!


    Try Firefox 2.0 and/or Opera?
    sandy58, May 14, 2009
    #13
  14. P@trick.

    sandy58 Guest

    On May 13, 4:21 pm, P@trick. wrote:
    > I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
    > has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
    > have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
    > weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
    > of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
    > view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
    > the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    > my system. Is there an older version that would run using
    > Windows 98, and if so is it likely that it would be any sort of
    > an improvement? I didn't see an option to download older
    > versions at Mozilla, so where could I download one if it might
    > do some good?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!


    Found this. I hope it helps.
    Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.18
    ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...0.0.18/win32/en-US/Firefox Setup 2.0.0.18.exe
    sandy58, May 14, 2009
    #14
  15. P@trick.

    Mike Easter Guest

    James D. Andrews wrote:
    > "JD"


    >> if you are using this on the internet esp for internet
    >> banking or purchasing this is a very bad idea


    > Yes, you're right, it's best not to use the older system for modern
    > shopping and banking. That comes under one of the main reasons that
    > it's become time for that upgrade.


    You can shop and bank securely with W98 and you can shop and bank
    insecurely with Vista/Win7 or the newest linux distro.

    > So, what do you recommend to people on fixed incomes now faced with
    > forced upgrades? Save for the basic 1+GHz pre-loaded with Vista? Buy
    > the XP SP2 Upgrade to 98/ME? Can Vista or Win 7 even run on old P2s?


    All of the old Win98 machines I have around here also run one modern linux
    distro or another perfectly well, in fact on all of my W98s, I have a
    choice of which linux distro I like the best, not just the 'slimmest'.

    However, I have also run W98 on some primitive machines that I wouldn't
    want to run linux because it would require too much nongraphical
    configuration.




    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 14, 2009
    #15
  16. P@trick.

    JD Guest

    James D. Andrews wrote:

    >
    > Yes, you're right, it's best not to use the older system for modern shopping
    > and banking. That comes under one of the main reasons that it's become time
    > for that upgrade.
    >
    > So, what do you recommend to people on fixed incomes now faced with forced
    > upgrades? Save for the basic 1+GHz pre-loaded with Vista? Buy the XP SP2
    > Upgrade to 98/ME? Can Vista or Win 7 even run on old P2s?


    As you say further down the Thread, if the computer does what you need
    then its fine no reason to upgrade really (other than a better
    experience and more secure (hopefully))

    The problem lies in the fact that Microsoft needs to produce a new OS
    every 3-5 years for revenue and PC shops also need this because that's
    what helps to sell new computers.

    I've been following news on Windows 7, and apparently it will run on
    older pc without much problems its not as bloated as vista, many people
    have Windows 7 loaded onto "netbooks" you know those cheap low spec
    laptop replacements designed for surfing etc (typical spec is a sub 1Ghz
    CPU with 512 to 1GB of memmory)

    I will be installing Windows 7 RC1 64 bit on a test machine later on
    tonight.
    >
    > I had virtually no problems working with ME until MS pulled the plug. To be
    > honest, I didn't have many problems with 98 during its time. Both loaded
    > quicker on my systems than XP. Most problems that occurred were easy to
    > fix. But I suppose you're right, 10 years is long enough for support.
    >
    > What bothers me about forced upgrades of an OS is that it often (not always)
    > requires forced upgrades of older software. I have several programs that I
    > use frequently that I still have from W95. I even have some DOS-run.
    > Honest! I miss some of those that didn't survive the transition. I don't
    > like it when I'm no longer able to use a particular program because MS says
    > so. Maybe I'm just finicky.
    >


    This is no real problem on a modern PC If I had old software I wanted or
    needed to run I'd Just set up a virtual machine for that particular OS
    and install/Run the programs I require, there's even a compatibility
    mode built into XP and newer OS's so you can run the program as if it
    was a 95,98/me,NT4 or 2000


    > I don't know why W2000 didn't go over bigger. I think it was promoted less
    > for a public market and more for business aspects. And common people for
    > the most part are reluctant to change. I know I am. Once I become
    > comfortable working with something, I don't want to rush out and get the
    > next best thing or such. For one, like many consumers, I just can't afford
    > to run out and replace everything every year or two. With businesses, it's
    > more necessary to keep up with each advance. That's probably why 2000 went
    > over in the business sector but not so much in the private.


    Windows 2000 was a great OS, Many offices still use it, I'm quite the
    opposite of yourself I love upgrading getting new PC gear every chance I
    get, it is quite expensive tho, but on the other hand I fix loads of
    pc's and that gives me more cash to spend on more gear lol

    Currently Running a Qaud core 8GB ram (1033MHZ Ram), 8GB Ram drive for
    OS (2x Gigabit I-Rams in Raid 0, A hard drive that uses RAM instead of
    platters even puts the new Solid state drives in the shade) all the
    optical drives are on SATA-II's also + Spinpoint 1GB drive for storage
    HD4850 GFX etc, this things fast I can run 2 eve clients, transcode
    video and copy a dvd at the same time and even brows the internet and it
    wont go over 70% CPU


    >
    > With XP, I developed my philophy of don't trust MS OS until SP2. I may be
    > the last to play with the new system this way, but at least most of the bugs
    > are worked out by then. Also of note is that MS will make claims to each
    > new system being better than its predecessor - necessary for marketing.


    Always sensible to wait for a bit to see what problems are occurring
    before getting the latest OS


    > Amiga? Hmmm. I think I remember those, poofy hairdos, synthesizer pop :)
    >


    I think you are getting confused with the Atari


    >
    > It all comes down to what you use your machine for. If its little more than
    > a $500-$1500 game of solitaire and word processor, an upgrade isn't
    > necessary. If you need to surf the net quickly and do business on-line or
    > want to play modern games, obviously the upgrade is necessary. And, of
    > course, a lot of newer equipment demands XP or later to operate. It's not
    > easy to find a printer that will work with pre-XP anymore.
    >


    I covered this bit way back at the top, Did some sniping to make the
    thread more readable also

    JD
    JD, May 14, 2009
    #16
  17. P@trick.

    JD Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > You can shop and bank securely with W98 and you can shop and bank
    > insecurely with Vista/Win7 or the newest linux distro.
    >


    Very good point.
    its probably the users that cause most of the problems other than the
    OS its self, however even the safest users security can be let down by a
    poorly written program and that was the angle I was going for (as its no
    longer supported, and bugs are still being found that filter down the
    Windows versions chain)
    :)


    > However, I have also run W98 on some primitive machines that I wouldn't
    > want to run linux because it would require too much nongraphical
    > configuration.
    >


    While were on the Subject of OS's my favorate OS of all time is FreeBSD
    not the most user friendly or best program for most users but i like its
    simple design of minimal install and add the stuff you require.

    JD
    JD, May 14, 2009
    #17
  18. <P@trick.> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm using an old PC with Windows 98 on it. Up until recently it
    > has done fine, but now because of whatever improvements
    > have been made it will no longer show most maps, or the
    > weather. I like using an older version of Netscape 7.1 because
    > of the personal toolbar. Is it possible that I could once again
    > view maps and weather if I start using a later browser? I tried
    > the latest version of Firefox but was told it would not run on
    > my system. Is there an older version that would run using
    > Windows 98


    Version 2 of Mozilla Firefox works well under Win98SE and can
    be downloaded from
    http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0.0.16/releasenotes/

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs
    (Ottawa, Canada)
    Don Phillipson, May 14, 2009
    #18
  19. P@trick.

    JD Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Well, i use Win98SE and NetScrape 7.2 and other than map probems on
    > some sites (notably MapQuest but not Goo-Gull), i have seen no
    > "security" problems.
    > In fact, i understand that most if not all of the hacks involving the
    > root are incapable of running because of the limited support of Win98SE


    Hi there I don't want to beat on about security issues but (there's
    always a but lol)

    Rootkit's are not much of a problem on Win9x as there is no user level
    security in place, everything runs as root (or ring 0)if a rootkit/worm
    or other piece of malicious code is doing its job properly you would not
    notice that's the whole point of them.

    > - which certainly NOT the case for the bloated XP and fat-on-fat ugly
    > Vista (and "seven" is worse in many ways: Borg 5th of 7?).


    Yes code is getting bloated and I also dislike Windows vista, I dislike
    the amount of version there are, 7 versions in total, all designed to
    remove different amounts of cash from your wallet, that was a deciding
    factor for me not purchasing or using vista, there should be 2 versions
    at most 1 for business and 1 for home (and i don't mean like a home
    version, Windows Business and Windows pro is the way I'd like it)

    > Speed? the boot time seems to be an order of magnitude faster than
    > those others - mainly due to the smaller size.


    Speed that's a tricky one, Just taking the Operating system standpoint
    if I put windows 9x on my pc it would be slow as it just cant handle,
    large bandwidths, multiple cpu's/threading, Sata drivves etc.

    > Temperamental? Roughly in the same ballpark as those mentioned.


    I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one, if you don't
    install a lot of software change hardware semi regularly then i can see
    it not causing much problems for you, but 9x has caused me more grief
    than i care to remember.

    At the end of the day its your computer and you that's using it, I'm
    just offering some advice (hopefully helpful)

    JD
    JD, May 14, 2009
    #19
  20. P@trick.

    Peter Guest

    In article <>, lid
    says...
    > James D. Andrews wrote:
    > > "JD"

    >
    > >> if you are using this on the internet esp for internet
    > >> banking or purchasing this is a very bad idea

    >
    > > Yes, you're right, it's best not to use the older system for modern
    > > shopping and banking. That comes under one of the main reasons that
    > > it's become time for that upgrade.

    >
    > You can shop and bank securely with W98 and you can shop and bank
    > insecurely with Vista/Win7 or the newest linux distro.
    >


    Seconded! I've had no problem doing both for many years on a W98 box.

    --
    Pete Ives
    Remove All_stRESS before sending me an email
    Peter, May 15, 2009
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    9
    Views:
    612
    Tony Raven
    Dec 28, 2005
  2. Russell Stamper
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,590
    AnyBody43
    Oct 12, 2004
  3. fitwell
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,161
    fitwell
    Sep 19, 2003
  4. David Arnstein
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    624
    David Arnstein
    Sep 23, 2005
  5. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    875
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page