What kind of audio files are these and where are they being stored?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Doc, Aug 23, 2007.

  1. Doc

    Doc Guest

    Going to this page - click on the blue icon - obviously the files are
    being stored somewhere on my system, since they play back immediately
    whenever I go back to the site - I'm on 56k dialup. However, I look
    for *.mp3 and come up with nothing, nor do I find them searching by
    size and date. As good as they sound, they must be large.

    http://jordynshellhart.com/music.htm


    Thanks
    Doc, Aug 23, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Doc

    Rebecca Guest

    Doc wrote:
    > Going to this page - click on the blue icon - obviously the files are
    > being stored somewhere on my system, since they play back immediately
    > whenever I go back to the site - I'm on 56k dialup. However, I look
    > for *.mp3 and come up with nothing, nor do I find them searching by
    > size and date. As good as they sound, they must be large.


    Stupid Idiot.
    Rebecca, Aug 23, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Doc

    Guest

    On Aug 23, 8:38 am, Doc <> wrote:
    > Going to this page - click on the blue icon - obviously the files are
    > being stored somewhere on my system, since they play back immediately
    > whenever I go back to the site - I'm on 56k dialup. However, I look
    > for *.mp3 and come up with nothing, nor do I find them searching by
    > size and date. As good as they sound, they must be large.
    >
    > http://jordynshellhart.com/music.htm
    >
    > Thanks


    Hello,
    This maybe what is called "streaming audio", not being stored on your
    unit.
    The player being used on the site: Wimpy Player v 5.3.8
    With the proper software you can download "streaming audio".
    Use a search engine to find an application to record "streaming
    audio".

    take care.
    beamish.
    , Aug 23, 2007
    #3
  4. Doc

    Bob I Guest

    Rebecca wrote:

    > Doc wrote:
    >
    >>Going to this page - click on the blue icon - obviously the files are
    >>being stored somewhere on my system, since they play back immediately
    >>whenever I go back to the site - I'm on 56k dialup. However, I look
    >>for *.mp3 and come up with nothing, nor do I find them searching by
    >>size and date. As good as they sound, they must be large.

    >
    >
    > Stupid Idiot.
    >


    1. That's redundant.
    2. And your humble is on par with your godlike.
    Bob I, Aug 23, 2007
    #4
  5. Doc

    Mike Easter Guest

    Newsgroups trimmed. Read in 24hshd, replied in 24hshd

    Doc wrote:
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, alt.os.windows-xp,
    24hoursupport.helpdesk, rec.audio.pro
    User-Agent: G2/1.0

    Why do googlegroupers think their questions are so important or so
    complicated that they have to post everything they ask to so many
    different groups? There are lots of problems with such crossposting.
    You should find one group which is appropriate for your question and ask
    it there, not all over the place.

    The other problem with such crossposting is that many people will filter
    out all such crosspostings; and many newsservers will filter out
    anything a googlegrouper sez which is so crossposted. As a result, a
    lot less people will see your question to answer it when you crosspost
    rambunctiously and irresponsibly. Just because a question /could/ be
    asked in any number of groups doesn't mean it /should/ be asked in more
    than one. It should be asked only in the 'best' one, considering the
    question and considering what you know about the participants in a
    group.

    > Going to this page - click on the blue icon - obviously the files are
    > being stored somewhere on my system, since they play back immediately
    > whenever I go back to the site - I'm on 56k dialup. However, I look
    > for *.mp3 and come up with nothing, nor do I find them searching by
    > size and date. As good as they sound, they must be large.


    You can find the files you've played on your system by searching the
    Temporary Internet Files for the .mp3

    > http://jordynshellhart.com/music.htm


    You can find where the website's files are stored in this case by
    looking at the source and finding the files named .mp3.


    --
    Mike Easter - anti-crossposter
    Any crossposting with which I disagree
    has been trimmed away in my own reply
    Mike Easter, Aug 23, 2007
    #5
  6. Doc

    dobey Guest

    "Bob I" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > Rebecca wrote:
    >
    >> Doc wrote:
    >>
    >>>Going to this page - click on the blue icon - obviously the files are
    >>>being stored somewhere on my system, since they play back immediately
    >>>whenever I go back to the site - I'm on 56k dialup. However, I look
    >>>for *.mp3 and come up with nothing, nor do I find them searching by
    >>>size and date. As good as they sound, they must be large.

    >>
    >>
    >> Stupid Idiot.
    >>

    >
    > 1. That's redundant.
    > 2. And your humble is on par with your godlike.
    >


    Maybe they think it is scantily clad spam?
    dobey, Aug 23, 2007
    #6
  7. Doc

    Guest

    On Aug 23, 12:29 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:


    > Why do googlegroupers think their questions are so important or so
    > complicated that they have to post everything they ask to so many
    > different groups?



    Well, at least one reason is that there are miserable, anal retentive
    asshats like you.



    > There are lots of problems with such crossposting.




    "Because it annoys Mike Easter" isn't a problem.



    > You should find one group which is appropriate for your question and ask
    > it there, not all over the place.



    Getting it in front of numerous eyes in newsgroups where it's logical
    to think folks will have some knowledge in the subject is an obvious
    and perfectly valid reason. Crossposting was incorporated as part of
    the functionality of Google groups, which trumps your pissiness. It's
    also made possible for some groups to exclude crossposting, so one
    makes sure they don't attempt to crosspost to such a group.


    <snip more Easterbabble>


    > You can find the files you've played on your system by searching the
    > Temporary Internet Files for the .mp3



    If you had actually read and comprehended the OP's statement - I know,
    that's expecting a lot of you - they already did that and found no
    such files.


    > Mike Easter - anti-crossposter
    > Any crossposting with which I disagree
    > has been trimmed away in my own reply




    And just to emphasize the impotence of your efforts and generally piss
    you off, I've added them back in. Please have a stroke over it.

    DIPSHIT
    , Aug 23, 2007
    #7
  8. Doc

    Doc Guest

    On Aug 23, 12:07 pm, wrote:

    >
    > Hello,
    > This maybe what is called "streaming audio", not being stored on your
    > unit.
    > The player being used on the site: Wimpy Player v 5.3.8


    No, it must be stored somewhere on the computer. There's a long
    download process on the first pass - again, I'm o 56k dialup - but
    immediate playback any other time.

    I don't find them as .mp3's which makes me think they must be some
    other kind of file, perhaps native to the player? But I would think
    they're going to be around the same size as .mp3s.
    Doc, Aug 23, 2007
    #8
  9. Doc

    Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    User-Agent: G2/1.0

    >"Mike Easter"


    >> You can find the files you've played on your system by searching the
    >> Temporary Internet Files for the .mp3


    > If you had actually read and comprehended the OP's statement - I know,
    > that's expecting a lot of you - they already did that and found no
    > such files.


    Here I am talking to another crossposting googlegrouper. Why don't I
    listed to Blinky?

    He was wrong. And you are wrong too. I listened to the .mp3/s. They
    were in my temp files as I described correctly. You apparently did not
    research your answer adequately because you were too busy thinking about
    something else to whine about.


    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 23, 2007
    #9
  10. Doc

    dadiOH Guest

    Doc wrote:
    > Going to this page - click on the blue icon - obviously the files
    > are being stored somewhere on my system, since they play back
    > immediately whenever I go back to the site - I'm on 56k dialup.
    > However, I look for *.mp3 and come up with nothing, nor do I find
    > them searching by size and date. As good as they sound, they must
    > be large.


    As another poster said, they are stored in "temporary internet files".
    Size and quality may vary according to the speed of your
    connection...with my broadband they are 160 kbps. With your dial up
    they may be - but not necessarily are - lower in kbps so that the
    downloading speed can keep up with or surpass the playing.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
    dadiOH, Aug 23, 2007
    #10
  11. Doc

    Scott Dorsey Guest

    Doc <> wrote:
    >
    >I don't find them as .mp3's which makes me think they must be some
    >other kind of file, perhaps native to the player? But I would think
    >they're going to be around the same size as .mp3s.


    I have NO idea why this is crossposted to rec.audio.pro, but going to
    the "view source" function in your browser will tell you all you want
    to know and probably more.
    --scott
    --
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
    Scott Dorsey, Aug 23, 2007
    #11
  12. Doc

    Mike Easter Guest

    Doc wrote:

    > I don't find them as .mp3's which makes me think they must be some
    > other kind of file, perhaps native to the player? But I would think
    > they're going to be around the same size as .mp3s.


    Do you have your hidden files viewing enabled? I can see the mp3s that
    play from that site in my temp internet files.

    If you are crossposting to 24hshd and you aren't reading here, then I
    guess you don't know what is going on. ToobadSosad.


    --
    Mike Easter - anti-crossposter
    Any crossposting with which I disagree
    has been trimmed away in my own reply
    Mike Easter, Aug 23, 2007
    #12
  13. Doc

    Tester Guest

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:58:19 -0700, Doc <> wrote:

    >On Aug 23, 12:07 pm, wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >> This maybe what is called "streaming audio", not being stored on your
    >> unit.
    >> The player being used on the site: Wimpy Player v 5.3.8

    >
    >No, it must be stored somewhere on the computer. There's a long
    >download process on the first pass - again, I'm o 56k dialup - but
    >immediate playback any other time.
    >
    >I don't find them as .mp3's which makes me think they must be some
    >other kind of file, perhaps native to the player? But I would think
    >they're going to be around the same size as .mp3s.


    You might try:

    1) URL Snooper (includes WinPCap) - this is a kind of packet sniffer
    which tells which files your computer is asking for

    2) If you're using Firefox, and maybe Mozilla/Netscape there's an
    Unplug addon which shows media file links on a page.

    3) If you're using IE under XP, the browser cache is usually at

    "C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Temporary
    Internet Files\Content.IE5" and then there are directories below there
    and the files have their online name or something very similar.

    Firefox/Netscape caches are more complicated to search because the
    files have different names.

    I believe there are cache explorer programs for both browsers.
    Tester, Aug 23, 2007
    #13
  14. Doc

    Vanguard Guest

    "Doc" wrote in message
    news:...
    >


    Note: Unrelated newsgroups removed from reply. Newsgroups changed
    from:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    alt.os.windows-xp
    24hoursupport.helpdesk
    rec.audio.pro
    to:
    24hoursupport.helpdesk

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> This maybe what is called "streaming audio", not being stored on
    >> your
    >> unit.
    >> The player being used on the site: Wimpy Player v 5.3.8

    >
    > No, it must be stored somewhere on the computer. There's a long
    > download process on the first pass - again, I'm o 56k dialup - but
    > immediate playback any other time.


    Wrong. Regardless of your claim, there is no requirement that the
    audio file be on your host. You keep making claims and then exposing
    that you haven't a clue how you are receiving the audio or from where
    you are playing it. You downloaded the pointer file which tells your
    browser where to find the audio content. The configuration of
    whatever player you defined to play the audio type is buffering the
    streamed audio (i.e., it downloads some of the data stream before
    beginning play mode).

    > I don't find them as .mp3's which makes me think they must be some
    > other kind of file, perhaps native to the player? But I would think
    > they're going to be around the same size as .mp3s.


    Which further proves you are retrieving streaming audio. Go read:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_audio

    Streaming is one method used to keep users like yourself from stealing
    content. It can be bypassed by recording the data stream at the
    client end.
    Vanguard, Aug 23, 2007
    #14
  15. Doc

    Daave Guest

    dadiOH wrote:
    > Doc wrote:
    >> Going to this page - click on the blue icon - obviously the files
    >> are being stored somewhere on my system, since they play back
    >> immediately whenever I go back to the site - I'm on 56k dialup.
    >> However, I look for *.mp3 and come up with nothing, nor do I find
    >> them searching by size and date. As good as they sound, they must
    >> be large.

    >
    > As another poster said, they are stored in "temporary internet files".
    > Size and quality may vary according to the speed of your
    > connection...with my broadband they are 160 kbps. With your dial up
    > they may be - but not necessarily are - lower in kbps so that the
    > downloading speed can keep up with or surpass the playing.


    Keerect!

    And to OP:

    The reason you can't see them is that you need to be able to view hidden
    files:

    Right-click Start > Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Files and
    Folders > Hidden Files and Folders > check Show Hidden Files and Folders
    Daave, Aug 23, 2007
    #15
  16. Doc

    Daave Guest

    Vanguard wrote:
    > "Doc" wrote in message
    > news:...


    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> This maybe what is called "streaming audio", not being stored on
    >>> your
    >>> unit.
    >>> The player being used on the site: Wimpy Player v 5.3.8

    >>
    >> No, it must be stored somewhere on the computer. There's a long
    >> download process on the first pass - again, I'm o 56k dialup - but
    >> immediate playback any other time.

    >
    > Wrong. Regardless of your claim, there is no requirement that the
    > audio file be on your host. You keep making claims and then exposing
    > that you haven't a clue how you are receiving the audio or from where
    > you are playing it.


    He's not clueless. He has correctly concluded that since he's on dialup
    and "[t]here's a long download process on the first pass," it's probably
    *not* an instance of streaming. And if you would visit the Web site (
    http://jordynshellhart.com/music.htm ), you would see this is true.

    > You downloaded the pointer file which tells your
    > browser where to find the audio content. The configuration of
    > whatever player you defined to play the audio type is buffering the
    > streamed audio (i.e., it downloads some of the data stream before
    > beginning play mode).


    Interesting theory, but not supported by the facts.

    >> I don't find them as .mp3's which makes me think they must be some
    >> other kind of file, perhaps native to the player? But I would think
    >> they're going to be around the same size as .mp3s.

    >
    > Which further proves you are retrieving streaming audio.


    It does nothing of the kind! A better theory would be that OP has
    disabled the showing of hidden files and folders.

    > Streaming is one method used to keep users like yourself from stealing
    > content.


    Stealing is a rather strong term!

    > It can be bypassed by recording the data stream at the client end.


    It's also possible to download streaming content.
    Daave, Aug 23, 2007
    #16
  17. Doc

    Doc Guest

    On Aug 23, 2:05 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

    > I have NO idea why this is crossposted to rec.audio.pro,



    Because it seems reasonable to theorize that people who do audio
    production might have some experience with internet audio issues. Feel
    complimented - I give you credit for likely having a broad base of
    experience.


    > but going to
    > the "view source" function in your browser will tell you all you want
    > to know and probably more.



    Well, under this heading

    <!-- START WIMPY PLAYER CODE -->


    I find what appear to be .mp3 titles

    http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/01%20The%20Knot%20Comes%20Untied.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/02%20Hey%20Cowboy.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/03%20Why%20Do%20They%20Call%20It%20Blue.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/04%20Whats%20a%20Girl%20Gotta%20Do.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/05%20Girls%20World.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/06%20Sing%20You%20Back.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/07%20Daddys%20Credit%20Card.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/08%20Only%20Hope.mp3"
    />


    But don't find any of these by doing a search using *.mp3 on my C
    drive, nor under any of the titles listed.
    Doc, Aug 23, 2007
    #17
  18. "Doc" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Aug 23, 2:05 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
    >
    >> I have NO idea why this is crossposted to rec.audio.pro,

    >
    >
    > Because it seems reasonable to theorize that people who do audio
    > production might have some experience with internet audio issues. Feel
    > complimented - I give you credit for likely having a broad base of
    > experience.
    >
    >
    >> but going to
    >> the "view source" function in your browser will tell you all you want
    >> to know and probably more.

    >
    >
    > Well, under this heading
    >
    > <!-- START WIMPY PLAYER CODE -->
    >
    >
    > I find what appear to be .mp3 titles
    >
    > http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/01%20The%20Knot%20Comes%20Untied.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/02%20Hey%20Cowboy.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/03%20Why%20Do%20They%20Call%20It%20Blue.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/04%20Whats%20a%20Girl%20Gotta%20Do.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/05%20Girls%20World.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/06%20Sing%20You%20Back.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/07%20Daddys%20Credit%20Card.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/08%20Only%20Hope.mp3"
    > />
    >
    >
    > But don't find any of these by doing a search using *.mp3 on my C
    > drive, nor under any of the titles listed.


    Search on Windows Explorer doesn't necessarily search EVERY
    directory on the drive, especially special Windows directories
    such as caches like this.
    Richard Crowley, Aug 23, 2007
    #18
  19. Doc

    Doc Guest

    On Aug 23, 3:58 pm, "Daave" <> wrote:

    >
    > The reason you can't see them is that you need to be able to view hidden
    > files:
    >
    > Right-click Start > Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Files and
    > Folders > Hidden Files and Folders > check Show Hidden Files and Folders



    I appreciate the input but that's how it's already set.
    Doc, Aug 23, 2007
    #19
  20. Doc

    caver1 Guest

    Doc wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 3:58 pm, "Daave" <> wrote:
    >
    >> The reason you can't see them is that you need to be able to view hidden
    >> files:
    >>
    >> Right-click Start > Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Files and
    >> Folders > Hidden Files and Folders > check Show Hidden Files and Folders

    >
    >
    > I appreciate the input but that's how it's already set.
    >



    When you do a search you have to tell it to search hidden fileseven if
    you have the folder options to show hidden files.
    caver1
    caver1, Aug 23, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ed Malphrus
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,048
    Ed Malphrus
    Sep 15, 2004
  2. Rupert
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    616
  3. Lincoln Miller

    Re: Linux and Digital Audio? Is This Some Kind Of Joke?

    Lincoln Miller, Jan 2, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    384
    Roy L. Fuchs
    Jan 2, 2006
  4. Who or writes these kind of emails ?

    , Feb 6, 2008, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    695
  5. James
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    684
    Plato
    Oct 8, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page