    kit and what do you consider an optimum lightweight setup? I would use
    this kit while traveling as a tourist and while hiking.

    Thanks.
    THO, Sep 16, 2006

  2. THO wrote:

    > I'm finding that I don't carry my SLR as much as I should because of
    > the weight. I'm curious - what are others carrying for a lightweight
    > travel kit and what do you consider an optimum lightweight setup? I
    > would use this kit while traveling as a tourist and while hiking.

    Why suffer, get a LowPro backpack and carry about 30# of gear on your back
    without knowing it's there.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 17, 2006

  3. "THO" <.23.invalid> wrote

    > I'm finding that I don't carry my SLR as much as I should because of the
    > weight.

    Sort of depends on the SLR. A Canon plastic-fantastic Rebel doesn't
    weigh much. A motorized F-Series Nikon with a half-dozen large
    aperture primes is another matter.

    You may want to get a light weight consumer body and zoom for
    travel. If it is in the same lens-mount as your standard system
    it functions as an extra body when you aren't traveling.

    I carry a Yashica T4 P&S for travelling light.

    --
    Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
    Darkroom Automation
    Nicholas O. Lindan, Sep 17, 2006
  4. "THO" <.23.invalid> wrote in message
    > I'm finding that I don't carry my SLR as much as I should because of the
    > weight. I'm curious - what are others carrying for a lightweight travel
    > kit and what do you consider an optimum lightweight setup? I would use
    > this kit while traveling as a tourist and while hiking.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Here's a great little camera for only $20......How can you go wrong?
    http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Epic-Zoom-80-Camera/dp/B000021YUO

    Buy 2, for two film speeds.......
    William Graham, Sep 17, 2006
  5. THO

    bmoag Guest

    The serious answer is: if you want a lightweight camera an SLR, especially a
    dSLR is a heavy burden, even if you just use one wide to zoom lens.
    Even the lighter weight Pentax dSLRs become anvil like with a wide zoom
    attached.
    At this point probably the most versatile light weight camera is one of the
    new image stabiized long zoom all in ones. You give up significant control
    over image quality in exchange for less neck, shoulder and back pain.
    Having done that I still prefer to lug the dSLR with an 18-200 zoom.
    bmoag, Sep 17, 2006
  6. THO

    Scott W Guest

    THO wrote:
    > I'm finding that I don't carry my SLR as much as I should because of the
    > weight. I'm curious - what are others carrying for a lightweight travel
    > kit and what do you consider an optimum lightweight setup? I would use
    > this kit while traveling as a tourist and while hiking.
    >
    > Thanks.

    If I don't have my tripod with me then I figure my gear is pretty
    lightweight, if I do have the tripod not so light.

    I rarely limit myself to one lens but when I do it is often the 28-200
    zoom.

    Scott
    Scott W, Sep 17, 2006
  7. THO

    Paul Rubin Guest

    THO <.23.invalid> writes:
    > I'm finding that I don't carry my SLR as much as I should because of the
    > weight. I'm curious - what are others carrying for a lightweight travel
    > kit and what do you consider an optimum lightweight setup?

    In the old days, a Nikon FM and a few lenses, but I long since gave up
    on that and have switched to P/S cameras for travel. I'd only bring
    an SLR if there was something specific I wanted to shoot with it.

    I just did a trip with a Canon A530 and didn't especially want an SLR.
    The A530's biggest shortcoming (for my shooting style anyway) was lack
    of enough wideangle coverage. If I were doing it over, I'd have
    bought an A540 and the accessory wideangle lens for it, instead of the
    A530. These days, I'd consider the new A800 to also be of interest.
    Going larger, there's also the G7 and S3IS.
    Paul Rubin, Sep 17, 2006
  8. "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > The serious answer is: if you want a lightweight camera an SLR, especially
    > a dSLR is a heavy burden, even if you just use one wide to zoom lens.

    I lugged the 5D + Tamron 28-75/2.8 half way around the world and back this
    June. I love that lens; it's light, sharp, fast, and cheap. Usable wide
    open, superb from f/5.6 to f/16. I just dropped it in my shoulder bag. AF is
    a tad sluggish, though. But I won't be buying either the Canon 24-70/2.8 or
    the 24-105/4.0. Too heavy and pricey.

    > Even the lighter weight Pentax dSLRs become anvil like with a wide zoom
    > attached.
    > At this point probably the most versatile light weight camera is one of
    > the new image stabiized long zoom all in ones. You give up significant
    > control over image quality in exchange for less neck, shoulder and back
    > pain.
    > Having done that I still prefer to lug the dSLR with an 18-200 zoom.

    Hmm. I don't have much use for much over 100mm, so that makes life easier. I
    might consider adding the 24 TSE, though. For just snaps, shooting the 17-40
    and cropping functions as a poor man's shift lens, though. On the 5D,
    anyway.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Sep 17, 2006
  9. On 2006-09-16 18:55:52 -0400, THO <.23.invalid> said:

    > I'm finding that I don't carry my SLR as much as I should because of
    > the weight. I'm curious - what are others carrying for a lightweight
    > travel kit and what do you consider an optimum lightweight setup? I
    > would use this kit while traveling as a tourist and while hiking.
    >
    > Thanks.

    For 35mm I take my Olympus OM10 (lighter than the OM2 with its motor
    drive) and the 35-70 Olympus lens.

    then for the herresy: My lightweight "kit" is not 35mm, it's an APS SLR
    system from Minolta: the Vectis S1. with 22-80 and 56-170 zooms, the
    damn thing is so light and small it fits in the smallest aluminum case
    WITH the 50mm macro and the extra flash. Only trouble with APS is: very
    few film choices, won't enlarge well past 8x10, and no slides.
    --
    Michael | "He's dead, Jim."
    Michael Weinstein, Sep 17, 2006
  10. THO

    Mark² Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    >> The serious answer is: if you want a lightweight camera an SLR,
    >> especially a dSLR is a heavy burden, even if you just use one wide
    >> to zoom lens.

    > I lugged the 5D + Tamron 28-75/2.8 half way around the world and back
    > this June. I love that lens; it's light, sharp, fast, and cheap.
    > Usable wide open, superb from f/5.6 to f/16. I just dropped it in my
    > shoulder bag. AF is a tad sluggish, though. But I won't be buying
    > either the Canon 24-70/2.8 or the 24-105/4.0. Too heavy and pricey.
    >
    >> Even the lighter weight Pentax dSLRs become anvil like with a wide
    >> zoom attached.
    >> At this point probably the most versatile light weight camera is one
    >> of the new image stabiized long zoom all in ones. You give up
    >> significant control over image quality in exchange for less neck,
    >> shoulder and back pain.
    >> Having done that I still prefer to lug the dSLR with an 18-200 zoom.

    > Hmm. I don't have much use for much over 100mm, so that makes life
    > easier. I might consider adding the 24 TSE, though. For just snaps,
    > shooting the 17-40 and cropping functions as a poor man's shift lens,
    > though. On the 5D, anyway.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Where are your images posted, David?
    I've seen a few here and there from you, but I've lost the links...
    Pbase? Just curious to see what you're up to these days.
    :)

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Sep 17, 2006

    http://www.pbase.com/davidjl

    > I've seen a few here and there from you, but I've lost the links...
    > Pbase? Just curious to see what you're up to these days.
    > :)

    I've not been up to much lately. June I almost died from jetlag (went to
    Boston for a week; four out of 6 days it rained cats and dogs and I didn't
    sleep for more than 3 hours at a time for most of a month (I can handle
    Tokyo to California jetlag, but not Tokyo to Boston)), July was rained out
    (the "spring rainy season" stretched into August), August was too hot to go
    out the door. In general, it's either raining or there's work in the inbox.
    We didn't even make it to the in-law's place (in the countryside) this
    summer.

    Hopefully, I'll get out with the camera now that it's fall. (Although the
    fall foliage season here is later than it is in the states, so that won't
    happen for a while.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Sep 17, 2006
  12. On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:42:09 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
    <> wrote:

    >"bmoag" <> wrote in message
    >> The serious answer is: if you want a lightweight camera an SLR, especially
    >> a dSLR is a heavy burden, even if you just use one wide to zoom lens.

    >I lugged the 5D + Tamron 28-75/2.8 half way around the world and back this
    >June. I love that lens; it's light, sharp, fast, and cheap. Usable wide
    >open, superb from f/5.6 to f/16. I just dropped it in my shoulder bag. AF is
    >a tad sluggish, though. But I won't be buying either the Canon 24-70/2.8 or
    >the 24-105/4.0. Too heavy and pricey.

    Back when my Nikon FE was my main camera, I did 90% of my
    shooting with some no-name, manual-focus 28-70/2.8 zoom lens.
    It's a great range, and this was a lovely lens, very sharp and very
    nicely built.

    On my 10D, the 17-40 mm is the equivalent.

    I am sort of lusting after a longer lens, like that Canon 24-70,
    to use with the 10D. By all indications it's a superb lens.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com
    Raphael Bustin, Sep 17, 2006
  13. THO

    Mark² Guest

    Raphael Bustin wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:42:09 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    >>> The serious answer is: if you want a lightweight camera an SLR,
    >>> especially a dSLR is a heavy burden, even if you just use one wide
    >>> to zoom lens.

    >> I lugged the 5D + Tamron 28-75/2.8 half way around the world and
    >> back this June. I love that lens; it's light, sharp, fast, and
    >> cheap. Usable wide open, superb from f/5.6 to f/16. I just dropped
    >> it in my shoulder bag. AF is a tad sluggish, though. But I won't be
    >> buying either the Canon 24-70/2.8 or the 24-105/4.0. Too heavy and
    >> pricey.

    > Back when my Nikon FE was my main camera, I did 90% of my
    > shooting with some no-name, manual-focus 28-70/2.8 zoom lens.
    > It's a great range, and this was a lovely lens, very sharp and very
    > nicely built.
    >
    > On my 10D, the 17-40 mm is the equivalent.
    >
    > I am sort of lusting after a longer lens, like that Canon 24-70,
    > to use with the 10D. By all indications it's a superb lens.

    If you're interested, I have a basically brand new Canon 24-70 2.8 IS L for
    sale.
    -Perfect (Mint) condition with all boxes, papers, packing.
    I haven't posted it for sale anywhere...mainly because I just haven't gotten
    around to it...
    If you're interested, just drop an e-mail...
    :)
    -Mark²
    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Sep 17, 2006
  14. THO

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    THO <.23.invalid> wrote:

    > I'm finding that I don't carry my SLR as much as I should because of the
    > weight. I'm curious - what are others carrying for a lightweight travel
    > kit and what do you consider an optimum lightweight setup? I would use
    > this kit while traveling as a tourist and while hiking.

    On days when the weather is nice, I love to take my bike out and ride it
    for an hour or two. When I do this, I usually take my 8MP Sony DSC-W100
    with me which I put in a little camera bag that I bought for $10. I just
    sling the bag over my shoulder. In this bag, I keep one extra battery
    and a second 1GB memory stick. I don't bring anything else with me when
    I go out biking or hiking.

    The only time I use my dSLR is when I know I will need the features it
    offers such as when I shoot fireworks or if I want to have more
    flexibility with lenses then my little Sony P&S offers.
    Shawn Hirn, Sep 17, 2006
  15. THO

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <>, THO
    <.23.invalid> writes
    >I'm finding that I don't carry my SLR as much as I should because of the
    >weight. I'm curious - what are others carrying for a lightweight travel
    >kit and what do you consider an optimum lightweight setup? I would use
    >this kit while traveling as a tourist and while hiking.
    >
    >Thanks.

    As a minimum: body, 17-85 mm IS USM, 430EX, and lens cleaning bits (as
    an absolute minimum for outdoor daylight just the body and whichever
    lens the subject requires).
    --
    Ian G8ILZ
    Prometheus, Sep 17, 2006
  16. THO

    Mark² Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >>
    >> Where are your images posted, David?

    > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl
    >
    >> I've seen a few here and there from you, but I've lost the links...
    >> Pbase? Just curious to see what you're up to these days.
    >> :)

    > I've not been up to much lately. June I almost died from jetlag (went
    > to Boston for a week; four out of 6 days it rained cats and dogs and
    > I didn't sleep for more than 3 hours at a time for most of a month (I
    > can handle Tokyo to California jetlag, but not Tokyo to Boston)),
    > July was rained out (the "spring rainy season" stretched into
    > August), August was too hot to go out the door. In general, it's
    > either raining or there's work in the inbox. We didn't even make it
    > to the in-law's place (in the countryside) this summer.

    I hear ya about Jet-lag.
    There's a 10 hour difference between home and Ukraine...and it took quite a
    loooong time to get back on schedule...

    > Hopefully, I'll get out with the camera now that it's fall. (Although
    > the fall foliage season here is later than it is in the states, so
    > that won't happen for a while.)

    That's something I rarely get to see...fall colors. Here in S. California,
    we don't have much in the way of seasonal colors.

    Thanks for the link. Now lets see those fall photos sometime soon.
    :)
    -Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Sep 17, 2006
  17. THO

    dbd Guest

    I used to carry an Olympus OM-2 with 24mm, 50mm, 75-150mm and T-32
    flash.

    When I went digital I started with a Canon S2 with a uv and a
    polarizing filter, 4 AA batteries and some SD cards. That was light!

    But then I started stitching panoramas and the sickness grew.

    Now it's an Olympus E-500, 14-45, 40-150, 3 filters, battery, CF cards
    and tripod!

    This summer I took this kit on my 31st annual My Whitney dayhike: 21
    miles 6200' of climb to 14497'.

    First a pan from the S2:
    http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/gallery/1622676/1/79038793
    The first 3 pictures in this gallery are from the S2.

    This year I convinced my sherpa to carry my tripod most of the way up
    for me. See it strapped on his back:
    http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/gallery/1622676/1/82879407

    Obviously, I hand held some pictures, like that last one.
    For some I really did need the tripod at the top like this:
    http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/gallery/1622676/2/82879275

    So, I guess light kit depends on what you want to do, and can make
    happen.

    Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    dbd, Sep 17, 2006
  18. THO wrote:
    > I'm finding that I don't carry my SLR as much as I should because of the
    > weight. I'm curious - what are others carrying for a lightweight travel
    > kit and what do you consider an optimum lightweight setup? I would use
    > this kit while traveling as a tourist and while hiking.

    Why does it have to be SLR?

    My ideal travel kit is a rangefinder.

    Anyway, I find the 21mm, 35mm & 90mm combination to be nearly ideal.

    *If* you use a rangefinder, you can cheaply add a 15mm to that kit. The
    21mm & the 15mm put together are smaller and lighter than any 50mm SLR
    lens (and can share the same viewfinder).
    111 degrees view with very low distortion! :)
    Chris Loffredo, Sep 17, 2006
  19. THO wrote:
    > I'm finding that I don't carry my SLR as much as I should because of
    > the weight. I'm curious - what are others carrying for a lightweight
    > travel kit and what do you consider an optimum lightweight setup? I
    > would use this kit while traveling as a tourist and while hiking.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I found exactly the same. I now use not an SLR, but a ZLR, or a couple of
    ZLRs.

    Single camera:
    Panasonic FZ5, 36 - 432mm zoom, just over 300 grams.

    Dual camera:
    Panasonic FZ5, 36 - 432mm zoom
    Nikon 8400, 24 - 85mm zoom, better movies

    David
    David J Taylor, Sep 17, 2006
  20. In rec.photo.digital THO <.23.invalid> wrote:
    : I'm finding that I don't carry my SLR as much as I should because of
    : the weight. I'm curious - what are others carrying for a lightweight
    : travel kit and what do you consider an optimum lightweight setup? I
    : would use this kit while traveling as a tourist and while hiking.

    My answer is "it depends". :)

    When I go on vacation I pack my entire kit in a rolling carryon bag. Each
    day as I leave my "home base" I decide what the focus of the day is. Some
    days I intend to concentrate on activities that generally don't lend
    themselves to photography so at most I will be catching "snapshots" of
    opportunity. For those days I settle for a small pocket sized P&S camera.
    More days I want something better than the P&S, so I carry my DSLR with a
    wide angle zoom on the body and my tele zoom in a pocket. On the neck
    strap of the camera I have pockets that will hold memory cards (one pocket
    for blank cards and one for full cards) and pockets for spare batteries.

    On days when I intend to be in more tricky situations I may slip my
    monopod into its belt loop and/or may strap my tripod in its sholder strap
    and sling it on my back. If I intend some specific shots I may carry more
    items such as a pano head if I plan on shooting panos, or my ND filter set
    if I plan on shooting some architectural shots that I will want to remove
    foreground traffic with extra long shutter speeds. And maybe I'll put my
    wired remote shutter release in my pocket.

    There are days when I have virtually the entire kit hung from, or strapped
    to my body. But with all the extra stuff I don't try to do anything
    strenuous. :)

    One last thing that I tend to carry all the time is several large (1 gal
    or larger) ziplock bags. These come in handy when sudden rain or other
    moisture appears. I learned the hard way that an unexpected light rain can
    turn your nice DSLR into an expensive paper weight in a hurry. A few cents
    worth of plastic can save you big bucks in replacement gear (not to
    mention lost photographic opportunities). :)

    So my "minimum kit" will vary greatly day to day. But I bring all the
    equipment I think I MAY want at some point in my trip and pick and choose
    each morning.

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL