    when hovering over on facebook and other social networking sites.

    Back to Chrome, are there any disadvantages using it? Maybe I overlooked
    something.

    Muse Gruppes, Oct 29, 2010

  2. On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:29:29 -0400, Muse Gruppes <>
    wrote:

    >For me? (using windows 7) Chrome seems to be the fastest, most
    >customizable browser out there. I've been doing some browser comparisons
    >and although there are zillions of add-ons for Firefox, it just goes
    >incredibly slow most of the time.
    >
    >Hopefully FF 4 will be speedier. I guess my other 2 favs are Safari and
    >Opera.
    >
    >I'd use those more often if there was an add-on to zoom photos bigger
    >when hovering over on facebook and other social networking sites.
    >
    >Back to Chrome, are there any disadvantages using it? Maybe I overlooked
    >something.

    I have used Chrome since it became available. What I like about Chrome
    is the fact that it is fast, simple and does not need any add-ons.

    There are some people who say Chrome rings home but I don't care if it
    does because I've nothing to hide.

    Steve

    --
    EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
    SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com

    Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Oct 29, 2010

  3. Muse Gruppes <> inquired in the Subject field:

    > What is your favorite browser to use and why?

    I'm afraid that if they start making them in
    China they'll rust out in less than 30 days.

    I like Craftsman... because if you wear it out
    you can take it back and they'll replace it.

    They also have some very pretty and single
    ladies who work in that department. Sometimes,
    I enjoy engaging in innuendoes until she blushes,
    and hesitantly says "Ye-ye-ye-yesss"; then I say
    "I need to check with Ace Hardware first and
    maybe give you a call back about it sometime."

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and EVERYBODY knows
    that the "U" in "UFO" stands for "WTF"!

    Repent! The end is near... Or, good luck if there's an apocalypse.

    (And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
    survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)

    Bucky Breeder, Oct 29, 2010
  4. Muse Gruppes

    VanguardLH Guest

    Muse Gruppes wrote:

    > For me? (using windows 7) Chrome seems to be the fastest, most
    > customizable browser out there. I've been doing some browser comparisons
    > and although there are zillions of add-ons for Firefox, it just goes
    > incredibly slow most of the time.
    >
    > Hopefully FF 4 will be speedier. I guess my other 2 favs are Safari and
    > Opera.
    >
    > I'd use those more often if there was an add-on to zoom photos bigger
    > when hovering over on facebook and other social networking sites.
    >
    > Back to Chrome, are there any disadvantages using it? Maybe I overlooked
    > something.

    I tried Chrome for awhile but it became too much of a resource hog on
    memory. Why? Because all Chromium derivatives (Google Chrome, SRware
    Iron, Comodo Dragon, etc) will load another process for every add-on you
    install in Comodo. Yes, unlike what Stephen claims, there are some
    add-ons that are required because there is little configurability of
    Chromium. For example, while some folks might like to click on dozens
    of links on a web page to waste the time and bandwidth to download other
    pages in the background, when I click on a link means that I want to go
    to that page NOW! You need an add-on to change behavior to switch to
    the front a newly opened tab.

    After about a month of trialing, I ended up with about a dozen add-ons:
    some to change the behavior to my liking (or, at least, to match
    behavior possible through configuration with other web browsers) and
    some for site/code development. The problem is that a separate process
    gets loaded for EVERY add-on. I understand the rationale behind this
    decision but don't agree on how it was implemented. Just loading Chrome
    or Iron to a blank page (about:page) ended up with 13 processes
    (chrome.exe or iron.exe). That's ridiculous. Yeah, try to figure out
    which add-on process belongs with which tab window when they begin to
    crash (and they DO crash).

    However, it wasn't so much that Chromium loads a dozen or more of its
    processes depending on how many add-ons you install. It's their size.
    And add-on may be a script that is all of maybe 5KB in size and yet the
    process loaded for it take around 10MB (I forget the actual size now but
    it was NOT tiny). So when I loaded Chrome or Iron, even to a blank
    page, it immediately sucked up somewhere over 60-100MB. Obviously
    opening more tabs means more memory consumption. It didn't take too
    long of having multiple tabs open to where Chrome or Iron were sucking
    up gobs of memory.

    If I had a 64-bit version of Windows and had 8GB, or more, or memory
    installed than I wouldn't care about this waste of memory. I do care
    about it when I'm still using a 32-bit version of Windows and only have
    2GB of memory. I don't just surf. I'm doing something else at the time
    and often end up surfing while waiting. They really need to reign in
    the memory consumption when add-ons are included with the web browser,
    especially considering many add-ons are to compensate for the extreme
    lack of configurability of this web browser.

    One of the reasons why I look at the Chromium derivatives is that
    Microsoft is planning to exclude pre-Vista versions of Windows from
    support for its version 9 of Internet Explorer. As if that wasn't bad
    enough, Mozilla is planning on requiring a minimal processor
    (post-Athlon CPUs) for supporting its latest version of Firefox (with
    its GPU hardware-assisted acceleration that the latest version of
    Chromium provides and will be available in Chromium derivatives when
    they move to that version (7?)). So Microsoft is locking out older
    versions of Windows with IE9 and Mozilla is locking out older hardware.
    I don't see that Google (via Chromium) is looking at locking out either
    older Windows users or older hardware but I'm not intimate with the
    goings on at chromium.org.

    VanguardLH, Oct 29, 2010
  5. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    On 10/29/2010 11:57 AM, Bucky Breeder wrote:
    > Muse Gruppes<> inquired in the Subject field:
    >>
    >> What is your favorite browser to use and why?

    > I'm afraid that if they start making them in
    > China they'll rust out in less than 30 days.
    >
    > I like Craftsman... because if you wear it out
    > you can take it back and they'll replace it.
    >
    > They also have some very pretty and single
    > ladies who w<snip>

    That was a transsexual...She used to be 'Jorge'

    Muse Gruppes, Oct 29, 2010
  6. Muse Gruppes

    VanguardLH Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:

> [...]

    > especially considering many add-ons are to compensate for the extreme
    > lack of configurability of this web browser.
    >
    > One of the reasons why I look at the Chromium derivatives is that
    > Microsoft is planning to exclude pre-Vista versions of Windows from
    > support for its version 9 of Internet Explorer. As if that wasn't bad
    > enough, Mozilla is planning on requiring a minimal processor
    > (post-Athlon CPUs) for supporting its latest version of Firefox (with
    > its GPU hardware-assisted acceleration that the latest version of
    > Chromium provides and will be available in Chromium derivatives when
    > they move to that version (7?)). So Microsoft is locking out older
    > versions of Windows with IE9 and Mozilla is locking out older hardware.
    > I don't see that Google (via Chromium) is looking at locking out either
    > older Windows users or older hardware but I'm not intimate with the

    Oh, I forgot to mention why I prefer SRware Iron over Google Chrome
    (both are Chromium derivatives).

    Google Chrome doesn't let the user choose where to install the program.
    It defaults to and forces installation under the %userprofile% path.
    This violates de facto security standards in that *data* files are to be
    stored there, not executable. Google does this because all users
    normally have read AND write permissions in their profile folder and its
    subfolders. Google doesn't perform a standard Windows install but
    instead deposits its files under %userprofile% and runs from there. If
    a user was smart to ensure that malware couldn't run from there, like
    from the TIF folder under the profile path, they would change the parent
    permissions to disallow execution and inherit to all child objects.
    That means Google Chrome (and Google Earth) would install there but
    couldn't run from there. The user can't tell the install to put the
    program under, say, the %programfiles% path. Despite Google's claims,
    they are NOT interested in your security or in following normal security
    practices on Windows. SRware Iron lets the user decide where to install
    that program, and the default is under the %programfiles% path.

    There are several privacy concerns with Google's Chrome, some qualified
    and some not. These have been disabled in SRware's Iron.

    Google used to include an autoupdater program along with the install of
    Chrome. Users could disable its load to prevent Chrome from
    auto-updating itself. Google didn't like that so they buried the
    auto-updater inside of their Chrome product. So when you load Chrome,
    it might update when a new but *minor* version is discovered. The state
    of your host changes without your permission. Again, Google isn't
    concerned about the security or stability of your host. SRware Iron
    doesn't include any auto-updater. If you want to check for a new
    version, YOU do the check. It's my host and *I* will decide when
    software changes, not the vendor of that software. That includes both
    Microsoft (with WU set to notify but NOT download and definitely not
    install unless I say so) and Google not allowed to change the state of
    my host whenever they feel like it.

    VanguardLH, Oct 29, 2010
  7. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    On 10/29/2010 12:24 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
    > Muse Gruppes wrote:

    <snip>
    > One of the reasons why I look at the Chromium derivatives is that
    > Microsoft is planning to exclude pre-Vista versions of Windows from
    > support for its version 9 of Internet Explorer. As if that wasn't bad
    > enough, Mozilla is planning on requiring a minimal processor
    > (post-Athlon CPUs) for supporting its latest version of Firefox (with
    > its GPU hardware-assisted acceleration that the latest version of
    > Chromium provides and will be available in Chromium derivatives when
    > they move to that version (7?)). So Microsoft is locking out older
    > versions of Windows with IE9 and Mozilla is locking out older hardware.
    > I don't see that Google (via Chromium) is looking at locking out either
    > older Windows users or older hardware but I'm not intimate with the
    > goings on at chromium.org.

    I had no idea about that, that's a shame really(hardware/windows version
    requirements , K-Meleon is great for older systems, but no add-on
    support (that I know of, and if there is it's pretty limited)

    As far as memory usage, the older version of Seamonkey (the version
    before they started using the current FF engine) seemed to be using the
    least amount of memory. I'm addicted to Chrome for the speed.

    Muse Gruppes, Oct 29, 2010
  8. Muse Gruppes

    VanguardLH Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:

    > I like Craftsman... because if you wear it out
    > you can take it back and they'll replace it.

    The Craftsman brand that mean lifetime warranty is no more. If you buy
    anything other than some limited selection of their tools, being
    Craftsman does NOT mean you get a free replacement when it breaks. You
    have to specifically ask regarding which Craftsman products carry the
    lifetime replacement warranty. Last time I checked, only some of their
    tools still had that.

    Hand tools? Yes, covered. Other "Craftsman" branded items? No
    lifetime warranty (just a limited short-term warranty).

    Shovels? Yes.
    Pruning shears? Yes.
    Screwdrivers? Yes.
    Electric power drill or other power tools? No.
    Lawn mower? No.
    Chainsaw? No.
    Torque wrench or caliper? No (precision tools not included).
    Thumb-bit driver? No (now only sold in multi-paks, not singly).
    Power mower? Forget it. Anything powered isn't covered.
    Rake? Yes.
    Flashlights? Maybe (if bought before 2003, so must have receipt).
    Tape measures? Only if it is NOT the blade that is damaged.

    The lifetime warranty still applies if you have an old product that was
    covered under that warranty. When you get a replacement, the warranty
    doesn't transfer and you may get a limited (i.e., 90day) warranty and
    which doesn't cover replacement if the product was abused (only if it
    was defective). From what I see, only non-powered hand tools are still
    covered by a lifetime replacement warranty. Nothing else marked
    "Craftsman" is so covered.

    Sears have deliberately misled consumers with the Craftsman line to
    pretend that their products all carry a super guarantee when it now only
    applies to limited selection of their products. So only non-powered
    hand tools are covered but even then you have to check. A torque wrench
    is not powered yet it isn't covered by the lifetime replacement
    warranty. Also, replacements are possible only if they currently carry
    the same product or a very similar product. For example, if they
    discontinue carrying a framing hammer you bought years ago, they'll give
    you a credit towards a new and different model but it's not replaced for
    free. That's is, they'll replace with a same product for free but they
    won't give you an upgrade for free. Taking in a 25-year Craftsman
    branded water hose with brass fittings will require lots of arguing and
    stubborness to get a free replacement. Also be aware that replacing
    your old product that had a lifetime replacement warranty might end up
    getting a replacement that now has a limited short-term warranty (there
    is no grandfathering clause to transfer the old warranty).

    As for "Made in the USA" slogan, a 2004 lawsuit stopped that as only
    "most" of the hand tools (at that time) were made in the USA and *none*
    of the powered tools. Many of the parts are made overseas with just the
    *assembly* done in the USA. Sears has so confused as to what is or is
    not covered by their lifetime warranty that you need to ask on every
    purchase and get something in writing that directly applies to the
    product you purchase from them to prove what warranty comes with it.
    While there is some info at their site (see below), even their sales
    folk often don't know what is covered by which warranty.

    http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/nb_10155_12602_NB_CSwarranty?adCell=WF&i_cntr=1288372016427

    VanguardLH, Oct 29, 2010
  9. Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

    > There are some people who say Chrome rings home but I don't care if it
    > does because I've nothing to hide.

    You are *just* the person Google is looking for. They really want *all*
    of your data.

    (link was posted earlier today:)
    <http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/28/google-chrome-os-revolutionize-operating/>

    --
    -bts
    -Google will get my data when they pry it from my cold dead fingers

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 29, 2010
  10. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    On 10/29/2010 2:17 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
    >
    >> There are some people who say Chrome rings home but I don't care if it
    >> does because I've nothing to hide.

    > You are *just* the person Google is looking for. They really want *all*
    > of your data.
    >
    > (link was posted earlier today:)
    > <http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/28/google-chrome-os-revolutionize-operating/>

    So if they have it (data) what do they do with it? Something malicious?
    Do they share it with the Government? I mean is it really that nefarious?

    Muse Gruppes, Oct 29, 2010
  11. Muse Gruppes

    Jordon Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
    >
    >> There are some people who say Chrome rings home but I don't care if it
    >> does because I've nothing to hide.

    > You are *just* the person Google is looking for. They really want *all*
    > of your data.
    >
    > (link was posted earlier today:)
    > <http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/28/google-chrome-os-revolutionize-operating/>

    I wouldn't care if Faux News said that the sun sets in the west.
    I wouldn't believe them.

    Jordon, Oct 29, 2010
  12. Muse Gruppes

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 10/29/2010 10:29 AM Just to please that super-ego, Muse Gruppes wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > For me? (using windows 7) Chrome seems to be the fastest, most
    > customizable browser out there. I've been doing some browser comparisons
    > and although there are zillions of add-ons for Firefox, it just goes
    > incredibly slow most of the time.
    >
    > Hopefully FF 4 will be speedier. I guess my other 2 favs are Safari and
    > Opera.
    >
    > I'd use those more often if there was an add-on to zoom photos bigger
    > when hovering over on facebook and other social networking sites.
    >
    > Back to Chrome, are there any disadvantages using it? Maybe I overlooked
    > something.

    At this stage of the game all of the top browsers are good candidates,
    my personal preference is FF, and that is because of the customization
    features, and eye candy, and it is very user friendly.

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Oct 29, 2010
  13. Muse Gruppes wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
    >>> There are some people who say Chrome rings home but I don't care if
    >>> it does because I've nothing to hide.

    >> You are *just* the person Google is looking for. They really want
    >> *all* of your data.
    >>
    >> (link was posted earlier today:)
    >> <http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/28/google-chrome-os-revolutionize-operating/>
    >>

    > So if they have it (data) what do they do with it? Something
    > malicious? Do they share it with the Government? I mean is it really
    > that nefarious?

    Maybe you don't have any personal, private data. Feel free to give it
    to Google, I suppose. <shrug>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 29, 2010
  14. Jordon wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> You are *just* the person Google is looking for. They really want
    >> *all* of your data.
    >>
    >> (link was posted earlier today:)
    >> <http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/28/google-chrome-os-revolutionize-operating/>

    > I wouldn't care if Faux News said that the sun sets in the west.
    > I wouldn't believe them.

    In this case, Google has been saying this for .. oh .. a year or more
    now. Apparently you've missed previous announcements about their
    "browser-only-we-keep-your-data" operating system. It's been talked
    about since the Chrome browser was introduced by them.

    The Fox News article is just a recent rehash of the same Google
    announcements.

    (I don't read Fox News either...)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 29, 2010
  15. Muse Gruppes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:29:29 -0400, Muse Gruppes wrote:

    > For me? (using windows 7) Chrome seems to be the fastest, most
    > customizable browser out there. I've been doing some browser comparisons
    > and although there are zillions of add-ons for Firefox, it just goes
    > incredibly slow most of the time.
    >
    > Hopefully FF 4 will be speedier. I guess my other 2 favs are Safari and
    > Opera.
    >
    > I'd use those more often if there was an add-on to zoom photos bigger
    > when hovering over on facebook and other social networking sites.
    >
    > Back to Chrome, are there any disadvantages using it? Maybe I overlooked
    > something.

    Chromium 6.0.497.0 (56218-1mdv2010.0) linux

    No disadvantages I can find although the tab bar takes a little getting
    used to.

    Meat Plow, Oct 29, 2010
  16. On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:17:43 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
    >
    >> There are some people who say Chrome rings home but I don't care if it
    >> does because I've nothing to hide.

    >You are *just* the person Google is looking for. They really want *all*
    >of your data.

    Google can retrieve all my data if they want. It's advertising and
    product promotion and free to anyone who wants it.

    >(link was posted earlier today:)
    ><http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/28/google-chrome-os-revolutionize-operating/>

    Looks like the mainframe operating system I worked on 30 years ago.

    Steve

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Oct 30, 2010
  17. Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
    >>> There are some people who say Chrome rings home but I don't care if
    >>> it does because I've nothing to hide.

    >> You are *just* the person Google is looking for. They really want
    >> *all* of your data.

    > Google can retrieve all my data if they want. It's advertising and
    > product promotion and free to anyone who wants it.

    Ok, it's your choice. Obviously then, you don't use your computer for
    online banking, shopping and things like that. You don't send personal
    email to anyone. You don't write personal documents or maintain
    spreadsheets of confidential data.

    Best of luck.

    > Looks like the mainframe operating system I worked on 30 years ago.

    Pretty much so.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 30, 2010
  18. On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 07:51:59 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

    >>> You are *just* the person Google is looking for. They really want
    >>> *all* of your data.

    >> Google can retrieve all my data if they want. It's advertising and
    >> product promotion and free to anyone who wants it.

    >Ok, it's your choice. Obviously then, you don't use your computer for
    >online banking, shopping and things like that. You don't send personal
    >email to anyone. You don't write personal documents or maintain
    >spreadsheets of confidential data.

    That's about it - I've nothing to hide.

    Steve

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Oct 30, 2010
  19. Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

    > That's about it - I've nothing to hide.

    Then I suppose you will love the 'cloud'. Best of luck.

    --
    -bts
    -This poast is valid through December 21, 2012

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 30, 2010
  20. Muse Gruppes

    Jordon Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Jordon wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> You are *just* the person Google is looking for. They really want
    >>> *all* of your data.
    >>>
    >>> (link was posted earlier today:)
    >>> <http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/28/google-chrome-os-revolutionize-operating/>

    >> I wouldn't care if Faux News said that the sun sets in the west.
    >> I wouldn't believe them.

    > In this case, Google has been saying this for .. oh .. a year or more
    > now. Apparently you've missed previous announcements about their
    > "browser-only-we-keep-your-data" operating system. It's been talked
    > about since the Chrome browser was introduced by them.
    >
    > The Fox News article is just a recent rehash of the same Google
    > announcements.
    >
    > (I don't read Fox News either...)

    I think you missed my point BTS.

    Jordon, Nov 1, 2010