What is your call quality like?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Paul D.Smith, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. Paul D.Smith

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    All,

    First Question...

    I've been playing with the Ineen client and X-ten lite and the results have
    been rather poor. Now it takes two to tango, so the problem sould be on my
    UK based PC or my partners US based MAC, or both, or neither and I want to
    know which.

    So, does anyone know of a website or VoIP supplied that has a good test
    application? By "good" I would expect it to do the following.

    1. Stream audio to me.
    2. Accept and analyse the audio that I sent to indicate jitter, lost packets
    etc.
    3. Ideally do similar with video.
    4. Perhaps act as a reflector, just sending back everything that I send it.

    Anyone know of such a thing?

    Second Question...

    Anyone using a similar set-up (softphone in UK talking to softphone in US)
    care to tell me what the quality is like? I get a large amount of drop out
    and I've never managed to get any video feed to work at all.

    Cheers,
    Paul DS.

    --
    Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.
    Paul D.Smith, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Paul D.Smith

    tangle Guest

    Voipfone has a sound/echo test - you dial 152.

    Before I bought a Snom 190 I used to call X-Ten to X-Ten from UK to
    Colorado - both ends using voipfone - without problems.
    tangle, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Paul D.Smith

    Martin² Guest

    The quality with softphones (Xten & Voipbuster in my case) is very variable,
    sometimes it can be very good, other times almost unusable.
    It all seem to depend on what else goes on the networks, yours included.
    However a regular phone plugged into a VoIP router (Zyxel 2602HWL) gets
    near perfect quality most of the time.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Jul 12, 2005