  1. John Jones

    John Jones Guest

    How can I play YEnc files on my computer?

    John Jones, Oct 27, 2005

  2. John Jones

    dadiOH Guest

    John Jones wrote:
    > How can I play YEnc files on my computer?

    Decode them.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Oct 27, 2005

  3. unluckylanding, Oct 27, 2005
  4. John Jones

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:55:51 GMT, "John Jones" <> wrote:

    >How can I play YEnc files on my computer?

    What is yEnc?
    http://www.yenc.org/whatis.htm

    yEnc links and information:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/yproxy
    http://www.smr-usenet.com/software/misc.shtml Download "The Yenc utilities". They include
    yencpowerpost, yenc for Agent, ydecode, yencode and more
    http://www.yenc.org
    http://www.yenc32.com
    http://code.blitzaffe.com/delphi/
    http://www.uwekeller.de/index.html...giganews free newsreader
    http://www.co.jyu.fi/~ap/bnr.html freeware
    http://xnews.newsguy.com

    Agent is probably the best, and well worth the money. http://www.forteinc.com
    Full/Free Agent (try/buy) ftp://ftp3.forteinc.com/pub/agent/english/agentenu310-783.exe

    Unk, Oct 27, 2005
  5. John Jones

    gangle Guest

    "John Jones" wrote
    > How can I play YEnc files on my computer?

    yEnc is not a form of multimedia.

    yEnc is a type of binary-to-text encoding that has much
    less text "overhead" (about 3% more than the actual file
    size) than Uuencoded files (about 30% more than actual
    file size). For example, a 10 MB video file will be -- when
    converted to text for uploading and downloading:
    With yEnc: 10.3 MB -- With Uuencoding: 13 MB.
    So, it's easy to see why it's more efficient for both
    uploaders and downloaders to use yEnc.
    Unfortunately, OE does not internally decode yEnc
    encoded binaries, and never will because Microsoft
    just doesn't give a shit about OE as a newsreader.

    With OE, you must use a third-party program to
    acheive this, the easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

    It would be more practical to just switch, at least for
    the purpose of BINARY retrieval, to a dedicated newsreader
    which will handle yEnc internally, such as:

    Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    For $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries:
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .

    (You could still use OE as an email program to view/post
    to text-only NGs, while using one of the above programs
    to retrieve binaries.)

    gangle, Oct 28, 2005