What is Xtra

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by +Eric+, May 1, 2006.

  1. +Eric+

    +Eric+ Guest

    I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
    received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago

    "WHAT IS XTRA

    XTRA (tm) gives you access to:

    E-MAIL
    An electronic mail system breaks down geographic boundaries to help you
    keep in touch. Communicate instantly in a cost effective way.

    NEWSGROUPS
    Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
    any subject.

    FILE TRANSFER SERVICES
    Send files or information to other computers or download files to yours.

    CHAT
    Join interactive discussion groups on almost any subject, and chat with
    people like Bill Birch about the budget or Sean Fitzpatrick about the
    All Blacks."

    I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
    and
    that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups
    can be described as a complimentary addition to the package.
    +Eric+, May 1, 2006

  2. "+Eric+" <> wrote in message
    > I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
    > received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago
    >
    > "WHAT IS XTRA
    >
    > XTRA (tm) gives you access to:
    >
    > E-MAIL
    > An electronic mail system breaks down geographic boundaries to help you
    > keep in touch. Communicate instantly in a cost effective way.
    >
    > NEWSGROUPS
    > Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
    > any subject.
    >
    > FILE TRANSFER SERVICES
    > Send files or information to other computers or download files to yours.
    >
    > CHAT
    > Join interactive discussion groups on almost any subject, and chat with
    > people like Bill Birch about the budget or Sean Fitzpatrick about the
    > All Blacks."
    >
    > I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
    > and
    > that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups
    > can be described as a complimentary addition to the package.

    You know email can also pass as complimentary with some ISP's. I just had a
    browse at Ihug's offerings since I haven't been with them since about 1998 I
    think. Their email addresses are offer "free" with the dial-up account. This
    could be argued that they are complimentary on their part. I wonder if Xtra
    have something written about free email address aswell.

    But you're right, and I'm still sure there's nothing to even suggest news
    groups were complimentary that I can find still.

    Gavin.
    Gavin & Sandy, May 1, 2006

  3. On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:49:58 +1200, someone purporting to be +Eric+ didst
    scrawl:

    > I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
    > received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago

    *SNIP*
    > NEWSGROUPS
    > Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
    > any subject.

    *SNIP*
    > I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
    > and
    > that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups
    > can be described as a complimentary addition to the package.

    Ohhhhhhhh. That's good evidence for a complaint to the ComCom about their
    failure to adhere to their TOU. Also, hunt out the person who was already
    making noises about complaining (posted in nz.general), since I'm sure
    they'd love to have that pamphlet too.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, May 1, 2006
  4. +Eric+

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 08:18:24 +1200, Matthew Poole <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:49:58 +1200, someone purporting to be +Eric+ didst
    >scrawl:
    >
    >> I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
    >> received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago
    >>

    >*SNIP*
    >> NEWSGROUPS
    >> Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
    >> any subject.

    >*SNIP*
    >> I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
    >> and
    >> that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups
    >> can be described as a complimentary addition to the package.

    >Ohhhhhhhh. That's good evidence for a complaint to the ComCom about their
    >failure to adhere to their TOU. Also, hunt out the person who was already
    >making noises about complaining (posted in nz.general), since I'm sure
    >they'd love to have that pamphlet too.

    The Commerce Commission? Why would they care about Xtra pulling their
    news server?

    It really doesn't fall into their jurisdiction.
    Fred Dagg, May 1, 2006
  5. +Eric+

    Guest

    Who cares, you can get to news groups through google, not even worth
    complaining about.
    , May 1, 2006
  6. <> wrote in message
    > Who cares, you can get to news groups through google, not even worth
    > complaining about.

    Accept you give them and inch and they will take it around the universe, not
    just a mile. It's a service that I believe I was paying for. It would be a
    different story if you were paying off a PC and one day the vendor showed up
    at the door asking for the complimentary monitor back.
    Gavin & Sandy, May 1, 2006
  7. +Eric+

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, May 2, 2006
  8. +Eric+

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 02 May 2006 08:18:24 +1200, Matthew Poole <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:49:58 +1200, someone purporting to be +Eric+ didst
    >>scrawl:
    >>
    >>> I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
    >>> received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago
    >>>

    >>*SNIP*
    >>> NEWSGROUPS
    >>> Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
    >>> any subject.

    >>*SNIP*
    >>> I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
    >>> and
    >>> that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups
    >>> can be described as a complimentary addition to the package.

    >>Ohhhhhhhh. That's good evidence for a complaint to the ComCom about their
    >>failure to adhere to their TOU. Also, hunt out the person who was already
    >>making noises about complaining (posted in nz.general), since I'm sure
    >>they'd love to have that pamphlet too.

    > The Commerce Commission? Why would they care about Xtra pulling their
    > news server?
    >
    > It really doesn't fall into their jurisdiction.

    Failure to provide an advertised service - absolutely it does.

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, May 2, 2006
  9. +Eric+

    Vista Guest

    "+Eric+" <> wrote in message
    >I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
    > received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago
    >
    > "WHAT IS XTRA
    >
    > XTRA (tm) gives you access to:
    >
    > E-MAIL
    > An electronic mail system breaks down geographic boundaries to help you
    > keep in touch. Communicate instantly in a cost effective way.
    >
    > NEWSGROUPS
    > Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
    > any subject.
    >
    > FILE TRANSFER SERVICES
    > Send files or information to other computers or download files to yours.
    >
    > CHAT
    > Join interactive discussion groups on almost any subject, and chat with
    > people like Bill Birch about the budget or Sean Fitzpatrick about the
    > All Blacks."
    >
    > I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
    > and
    > that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups can
    > be described as a complimentary addition to the package.

    Probably, however companies can change their terms and conditions and the
    services they offer at any time. The same way you are free to choose who to
    use. If however you are on a contract, such as a 12 month contract, and they
    charge you a penalty fee for breaking that contract, you would be able to
    claim that fee back, due to a change in the conditions that you signed up
    under. Same with any connction fee.
    Vista, May 2, 2006
  10. +Eric+

    Vista Guest

    "Kent Smith" <> wrote in message

    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 02 May 2006 08:18:24 +1200, Matthew Poole <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 01 May 2006 23:49:58 +1200, someone purporting to be +Eric+ didst
    >>>scrawl:

    >>>*SNIP*
    >>>*SNIP*
    >>>
    >>>Ohhhhhhhh. That's good evidence for a complaint to the ComCom about their
    >>>failure to adhere to their TOU. Also, hunt out the person who was already
    >>>making noises about complaining (posted in nz.general), since I'm sure
    >>>they'd love to have that pamphlet too.

    >> The Commerce Commission? Why would they care about Xtra pulling their
    >> news server?
    >>
    >> It really doesn't fall into their jurisdiction.

    > Failure to provide an advertised service - absolutely it does.
    >

    > -KENT

    But they can change the services they offer. Most people wouldn't be on any
    form of fixed term contract with Xtra. They don't have to provide any
    services if they don't want to, however obvioulsy they wouldn't have any
    customers.
    Vista, May 2, 2006
  11. <> wrote:

    > Who cares, you can get to news groups through google, not even worth
    > complaining about.

    Google's we interface sucks compared to a decent Usenet client. THAT'S
    why it's worth complaining about.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, May 2, 2006
  12. On 1 May 2006 14:49:32 -0700, magnanimously
    proffered:

    >Who cares, you can get to news groups through google, not even worth
    >complaining about.

    If you knew enough to appreciate the differnce you would.
    Robert Feigel, May 2, 2006
  13. +Eric+

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 2 May 2006 12:19:27 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    <> exclaimed:

    >> The Commerce Commission? Why would they care about Xtra pulling their
    >> news server?
    >>
    >> It really doesn't fall into their jurisdiction.

    >Failure to provide an advertised service - absolutely it does.

    But they're not advertising a news server now, and they did provide
    one for the duration of the time they did advertise it.

    I think their decision to cut their usenet service is pretty crappy,
    but the commerce commission? Come on! You'd be wasting everyone's
    time.
    Fred Dagg, May 2, 2006
  14. +Eric+

    Troggles Guest

    +Eric+ wrote:
    > I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
    > received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago
    >
    > "WHAT IS XTRA
    >
    > XTRA (tm) gives you access to:
    >
    > E-MAIL
    > An electronic mail system breaks down geographic boundaries to help you
    > keep in touch. Communicate instantly in a cost effective way.
    >
    > NEWSGROUPS
    > Share information in topic related forums. Source information on almost
    > any subject.
    >
    > FILE TRANSFER SERVICES
    > Send files or information to other computers or download files to yours.
    >
    > CHAT
    > Join interactive discussion groups on almost any subject, and chat with
    > people like Bill Birch about the budget or Sean Fitzpatrick about the
    > All Blacks."
    >
    > I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
    > and
    > that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups
    > can be described as a complimentary addition to the package.

    Oh for Pete's sake Eric. And the rest of you complaing about xtra
    dropping usenet.

    correct me if Im wrong but the only difference is you dont get it for free.

    You can still be apart of the group. Just you gota pay if you want it.
    That's the the way the net is heading. Pay pay pay. Someone has to
    pay for this shit and in these days of tightening margins I guess you
    want the service, you pay for it.

    Like xtra's gonna give a rats crack if you lot have a go at em. They
    don't give a toss.
    Troggles, May 2, 2006
  15. +Eric+

    Troggles Guest

    wrote:

    > Who cares, you can get to news groups through google, not even worth
    > complaining about.

    yeah. that as well. Till you ahve to pay for it there
    Troggles, May 2, 2006
  16. On Tue, 02 May 2006 21:03:55 +1200, someone purporting to be Fred Dagg
    didst scrawl:

    > On Tue, 2 May 2006 12:19:27 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>> The Commerce Commission? Why would they care about Xtra pulling their
    >>> news server?
    >>>
    >>> It really doesn't fall into their jurisdiction.

    >>Failure to provide an advertised service - absolutely it does.

    > But they're not advertising a news server now, and they did provide
    > one for the duration of the time they did advertise it.

    *SNIP*

    Their TOU state that they must give 30 days notice, in writing, if they're
    seeking to change their terms. Five days notice, in the form of a post to
    usenet, is hardly sufficient notice on that basis.
    Since they advertised usenet in print, and their site still includes
    usenet in its definition of "Inernet", I think you'll find that they've
    fallen short on the notice side of things.

    Matthew Poole, May 2, 2006
  17. +Eric+

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 07:12:12 +1200, Matthew Poole <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Tue, 02 May 2006 21:03:55 +1200, someone purporting to be Fred Dagg
    >didst scrawl:
    >
    >> On Tue, 2 May 2006 12:19:27 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    >> <> exclaimed:

    >>>Failure to provide an advertised service - absolutely it does.

    >> But they're not advertising a news server now, and they did provide
    >> one for the duration of the time they did advertise it.

    >*SNIP*
    >
    >Their TOU state that they must give 30 days notice, in writing, if they're
    >seeking to change their terms. Five days notice, in the form of a post to
    >usenet, is hardly sufficient notice on that basis.
    >Since they advertised usenet in print, and their site still includes
    >usenet in its definition of "Inernet", I think you'll find that they've
    >fallen short on the notice side of things.

    I wholeheartedly agree. However, it's not a matter for the Commerce
    Commission.
    Fred Dagg, May 2, 2006
  18. +Eric+

    Anonymous Guest

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 06:31:23 +1200, Troggles <>
    drivelled:

    >+Eric+ wrote:
    >> I would offer for the groups information a quote from a pamphlet I
    >> received from Xtra when I signed up - probably about 10 years ago

    >> I believe that Newsgroups were part of the Xtra package I signed up for
    >> and
    >> that the pamphlet clearly indicates this there is no way Newsgroups
    >> can be described as a complimentary addition to the package.
    >>

    >Oh for Pete's sake Eric. And the rest of you complaing about xtra
    >dropping usenet.
    >
    >correct me if Im wrong but the only difference is you dont get it for free.
    >
    >You can still be apart of the group. Just you gota pay if you want it.
    > That's the the way the net is heading. Pay pay pay. Someone has to
    >pay for this shit and in these days of tightening margins I guess you
    >want the service, you pay for it.
    >
    >Like xtra's gonna give a rats crack if you lot have a go at em. They
    >don't give a toss.

    Oh for Wal's sake, Troggles. You'll never be a tall poppy, but you
    don't have be one of the woolly sheep either. Tightening margins? Get
    your head out of the paddock and look at their profits. Besides, Xtra
    customers already pay for the service. Good on them for having the
    balls to complain about losing it.
    Anonymous, May 3, 2006
  19. +Eric+

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > Who cares, you can get to news groups through google, not even worth
    > complaining about.

    Shit, not hard to tell that this thread is cross-posted to the looney bin is
    it?

    ants.balls, obviously a lot of people care or this issue wouldn't be getting
    discussed so much. Clearly, what you meant to say is "I don't care". In
    which case wouldn't it have been better just to STFU?
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 3, 2006
  20. +Eric+

    PJB Guest

    To Gavin and Sandy,
    Here is what Google say's on their own website;

    When using groups.google.com to reply to a Usenet article (better to use a
    real newsreader)

    Using a newsreader is what they designed it for. To read Newsgroups.

    I suppose you watch TV on your neighbours TV thru the window.

    PJB, May 4, 2006