    Owwwww....

    I must admit I was very fortunate in being able to recover the zapped
    file from backup. The backup happened to be a USENET posting...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Tony Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:31:40 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >...this command:
    >
    > tar cvf trygl_*.c
    >
    >Owwwww....
    >
    >I must admit I was very fortunate in being able to recover the zapped
    >file from backup. The backup happened to be a USENET posting...

    Because its Luna Lunix, the OS for Mental retards..

    Tony, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Phstpok Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > ...this command:
    >
    > tar cvf trygl_*.c
    >
    > Owwwww....
    >
    > I must admit I was very fortunate in being able to recover the zapped
    > file from backup. The backup happened to be a USENET posting...

    been a while, but

    tar cvf trygl_"*".c

    ?

    Phstpok, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > ...this command:
    >
    > tar cvf trygl_*.c
    >
    > Owwwww....
    >
    > I must admit I was very fortunate in being able to recover the zapped
    > file from backup. The backup happened to be a USENET posting...

    Not a tar expert, but this looks wrong. What exactly are you trying to do?

    I think what you want is...

    tar cv trygl_*.c

    Assuming you want tar to make a backup of all the trygl_*.c files to the
    default device.

    The -f option specifies the location of the archive to be created when
    used with -c. E.g.

    tar cvf backup.tar trygl_*.c

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    ofn01 Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > ...this command:
    >
    > tar cvf trygl_*.c
    >
    > Owwwww....
    >
    > I must admit I was very fortunate in being able to recover the zapped
    > file from backup. The backup happened to be a USENET posting...

    The f parameter is for files, so you need to specify the tar file as the
    first arguement; tar cvf mytar.tar trygl_*.c

    ofn01, Jun 11, 2005
  6. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 01:21:52 +1200, Tony wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:31:40 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>...this command:
    >>
    >> tar cvf trygl_*.c
    >>
    >>Owwwww....
    >>
    >>I must admit I was very fortunate in being able to recover the zapped
    >>file from backup. The backup happened to be a USENET posting...

    > Because its Luna Lunix, the OS for Mental retards..

    If the hat fits...

    Gordon, Jun 12, 2005
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > ...this command:
    >
    > tar cvf trygl_*.c
    >
    > Owwwww....
    >
    > I must admit I was very fortunate in being able to recover the zapped
    > file from backup. The backup happened to be a USENET posting...

    should be
    tar cvf myfile.tar trygl_*.c

    ChrisOD, Jun 12, 2005