    the People that I know that use the Internet no Nothing at all about Usenet..?

    Articles about Internet in Magazine, Radio and TV here, never mention Usenet..

    Some thing needs to be done for we totally loose it here..

    Ken , May 13, 2007

  2. Ken

    sam Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > Is Usenet dying here, I do notice the number of post now are way way down.
    >

    > Why do we Only have some 44 News Groups when Australia has some 236...?
    >

    > My be people here need to pull they finger out and do some thing about it..
    >

    > To me New Zealand should be ashamed of it self with such a poor list, is this why we have a poor
    > crappy Internet service here..
    >
    > May be we need a Magazine or Paper supporting Usenet, like Net Guide, how about a Usenet guide, all
    > the People that I know that use the Internet no Nothing at all about Usenet..?
    >
    > Articles about Internet in Magazine, Radio and TV here, never mention Usenet..
    >

    > Some thing needs to be done for we totally loose it here..

    You and David Murray killed it long ago with your idiot flaming

    sam, May 13, 2007

  3. Ken

    ttb Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > May be we need a Magazine or Paper supporting Usenet, like Net Guide, how about a Usenet guide, all
    > the People that I know that use the Internet no Nothing at all about Usenet..?
    >
    > Articles about Internet in Magazine, Radio and TV here, never mention Usenet..

    Forums seem to be the way of the future. I reckon they're crap theres
    always a log of garbage onscreen (pictures, emoticons, ads, etc...)
    usenet is simple fast and efficient. Hardly anyone I know has heard of
    usenet either... sigh

    ttb

    --
    Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes
    turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return.

    ttb, May 13, 2007
  4. Ken

    XPD Guest

    "ttb" <> wrote in message

    > Forums seem to be the way of the future. I reckon they're crap theres
    > always a log of garbage onscreen (pictures, emoticons, ads, etc...) usenet
    > is simple fast and efficient. Hardly anyone I know has heard of usenet
    > either... sigh

    Ive been using Usenet for quite sometime, and yeah, the number AND quality
    of posts has fallen a lot in the past few years.

    I run forums off my site but theres only a small number of regulars - the
    net is flooded with forums since anyone can run one.

    XPD, May 13, 2007
  5. Ken

    David Guest

    <Ken > wrote in message

    > Is Usenet dying here, I do notice the number of post now are way way down.

    No, the people who write trash have pulled out...

    David, May 13, 2007
  6. Ken

    Tilly Guest

    Ken wrote:
    > Is Usenet dying here, I do notice the number of post now are way way
    > down.
    >

    > Why do we Only have some 44 News Groups when Australia has some
    > 236...?

    Most people don't know about Usenet. NZ ISP's that have news servers don't
    advertise the fact.

    Tilly, May 13, 2007
  7. Ken

    ~misfit~ Guest

    A) There are too many cross-posting idiots.
    --
    Shaun.

    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

    ~misfit~, May 13, 2007
  8. Ken

    A Cassandra Guest

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 11:17:26 +1200, Ken wrote:
    >Why do we Only have some 44 News Groups when Australia has some 236...?

    It's because we have 4 million people and Australia has 25 million
    people, stupid. So the news group ratio is just what you'd expect.

    A Cassandra, May 13, 2007
  9. Ken

    Rob Guest

    <Ken > wrote in message

    > Is Usenet dying here, I do notice the number of post now are way way down.
    >

    > Why do we Only have some 44 News Groups when Australia has some 236...?
    >

    > My be people here need to pull they finger out and do some thing about
    > it..
    >

    > To me New Zealand should be ashamed of it self with such a poor list, is
    > this why we have a poor
    > crappy Internet service here..
    >
    > May be we need a Magazine or Paper supporting Usenet, like Net Guide, how
    > about a Usenet guide, all
    > the People that I know that use the Internet no Nothing at all about
    > Usenet..?
    >
    > Articles about Internet in Magazine, Radio and TV here, never mention
    > Usenet..
    >

    > Some thing needs to be done for we totally loose it here..

    Since the major isps such as telcom removed their news servers, there has
    been a big drop of people using it.

    Rob, May 13, 2007
  10. Ken

    bharmer Guest

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 11:17:26 +1200, Ken wrote:

    >Is Usenet dying here, I do notice the number of post now are way way down.
    >

    >Why do we Only have some 44 News Groups when Australia has some 236...?
    >

    >My be people here need to pull they finger out and do some thing about it..
    >

    >To me New Zealand should be ashamed of it self with such a poor list, is this why we have a poor
    >crappy Internet service here..
    >
    >May be we need a Magazine or Paper supporting Usenet, like Net Guide, how about a Usenet guide, all
    >the People that I know that use the Internet no Nothing at all about Usenet..?
    >
    >Articles about Internet in Magazine, Radio and TV here, never mention Usenet..
    >

    >Some thing needs to be done for we totally loose it here..

    There is a process for getting new groups established (see
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1/)

    All you need to do is persuade enough people to vote for each and
    every new group you propose. As the rules say

    if 100 more valid YES/create votes are received than NO/don't
    create AND at least 2/3 of the total number of valid votes received
    are in favor of creation, a newgroup control message may be sent
    out. If the 100 vote margin or 2/3 percentage is not met, the group
    should not be created.

    Simple really. However, what NZ specific topics do you need to discuss
    that you can't already? The quality of USENET is bugger all to do
    with the number of groups IMO. It is more to do with how many genuine
    contributors there are, how well they can stay within the charter of
    thge group and how little cross posting can happen. Of the nearly
    100,000 groups worldwide, how many of them are empty and unused apart
    from spammers and trolls?

    bharmer, May 13, 2007
  11. Ken

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 11:17:26 +1200, Ken Yates wrote:

    > Is Usenet dying here, I do notice the number of post now are way way
    > down.
    >

    > Why do we Only have some 44 News Groups when Australia has some 236...?

    You mean nz.* are only 44? We get many more ng here though. ;-)

    Gordon, May 13, 2007
  12. Ken

    Bobs Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > Is Usenet dying here, I do notice the number of post now are way way down.
    >

    > Why do we Only have some 44 News Groups when Australia has some 236...?

    What kind of retarded question is that? Um....maybe because Australia is
    a larger country? I wonder how many groups Iceland has? 2?

    > My be people here need to pull they finger out and do some thing about it..
    >

    > To me New Zealand should be ashamed of it self with such a poor list, is this why we have a poor
    > crappy Internet service here..

    Yes, that's why. Our newsgroups are crap and that's why we have shit
    internet.

    > May be we need a Magazine or Paper supporting Usenet, like Net Guide, how about a Usenet guide, all
    > the People that I know that use the Internet no Nothing at all about Usenet..?

    Usenet is dying and will die. Text only groups don't really make sense
    in a high bandwidth environment. I like usenet, and prefer it to forums,
    but most people have never heard of it.

    Bobs, May 13, 2007
  13. Ken

    Ken Guest

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 21:26:23 +1200, Bobs <> wrote:

    >Ken wrote:
    >>
    >> Is Usenet dying here, I do notice the number of post now are way way down.
    >>

    >> Why do we Only have some 44 News Groups when Australia has some 236...?

    >What kind of retarded question is that? Um....maybe because Australia is
    >a larger country? I wonder how many groups Iceland has? 2?
    >

    >> My be people here need to pull they finger out and do some thing about it..
    >>

    >> To me New Zealand should be ashamed of it self with such a poor list, is this why we have a poor
    >> crappy Internet service here..

    >Yes, that's why. Our newsgroups are crap and that's why we have shit
    >internet.
    >

    >> May be we need a Magazine or Paper supporting Usenet, like Net Guide, how about a Usenet guide, all
    >> the People that I know that use the Internet no Nothing at all about Usenet..?

    >Usenet is dying and will die. Text only groups don't really make sense
    >in a high bandwidth environment. I like usenet, and prefer it to forums,
    >but most people have never heard of it.

    BUT you can dnload Binaries, I have had stacks of support for Manuals, Parts and Circuits that I
    would not get any ware else, Plus Forums are very very limited.

    But then I had a paid for NNTP/WEB Based service.

    >but most people have never heard of it,

    but that should be rectified NOW.!

    Ken , May 13, 2007
  14. On Sun, 13 May 2007 21:26:23 +1200, Bobs wrote:

    > Usenet is dying and will die. Text only groups don't really make sense in
    > a high bandwidth environment. I like usenet, and prefer it to forums, but
    > most people have never heard of it.

    Alas I agree with all the above. :eek:(

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    bath and a short dress to get into."

    Jonathan Walker, May 13, 2007
  15. Roger Sheppard, nym-shifting as "Ken Yates", wrote:

    > Is Usenet dying here, I do notice the number of post now are way way down.

    Don't you remember telling us about your very large and ever-growing
    kill file?

    > Why do we Only have some 44 News Groups when Australia has some 236...?

    Because Australia is a bigger country with many more people.
    Geography clearly isn't your best subject.

    > My be people here need to pull they finger out and do some thing about it..

    If you think there is a demand for any additional nz.* groups, go
    propose them yourself. If you do not know how to propose them, read
    section 4.0 of the nz.* usenet hierarchy FAQ:
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/nz-news-hierarchy

    > To me New Zealand should be ashamed of it self with such a poor list, is this why we have a poor
    > crappy Internet service here..

    Don't be utterly daft.

    Today people want good ping times for online games, fast web browsing,
    fast torrent downloads, and so on. More nz.* groups will make not one
    jot of difference to this.

    Usenet was created in another era, when servers would dial each other
    up daily at 2am to get cheap toll rates for transferring data.

    > May be we need a Magazine or Paper supporting Usenet, like Net Guide, how about a Usenet guide, all
    > the People that I know that use the Internet no Nothing at all about Usenet..?

    Good. If you think there is a need, go start such a magazine.

    > Articles about Internet in Magazine, Radio and TV here, never mention Usenet..

    If you think there is a need, you go write an article.

    > Some thing needs to be done for we totally loose it here..

    --
    Kerrie ;-)

    Kerrie Felderton, May 13, 2007
  16. Ken

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Kerrie Felderton wrote:
    > Roger Sheppard, nym-shifting as "Ken Yates", wrote:
    > > Why do we Only have some 44 News Groups when Australia has some
    > > 236...?

    > Because Australia is a bigger country with many more people.
    > Geography clearly isn't your best subject.

    LOL, I wouldn't bet on it.

    ~misfit~, May 13, 2007
  17. Ken

    Ken Guest

    On Sun, 13 May 2007 13:01:44 +0200 (CEST), Kerrie Felderton <> wrote:

    >Roger Sheppard, nym-shifting as "Ken Yates", wrote:
    >
    >> Is Usenet dying here, I do notice the number of post now are way way down.

    >Don't you remember telling us about your very large and ever-growing
    >kill file?
    >

    >> Why do we Only have some 44 News Groups when Australia has some 236...?

    >Because Australia is a bigger country with many more people.
    >Geography clearly isn't your best subject.
    >

    >> My be people here need to pull they finger out and do some thing about it..

    >If you think there is a demand for any additional nz.* groups, go
    >propose them yourself. If you do not know how to propose them, read
    >section 4.0 of the nz.* usenet hierarchy FAQ:
    >http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/nz-news-hierarchy
    >

    >> To me New Zealand should be ashamed of it self with such a poor list, is this why we have a poor
    >> crappy Internet service here..

    >Don't be utterly daft.
    >
    >Today people want good ping times for online games, fast web browsing,
    >fast torrent downloads, and so on. More nz.* groups will make not one
    >jot of difference to this.
    >
    >Usenet was created in another era, when servers would dial each other
    >up daily at 2am to get cheap toll rates for transferring data.
    >

    >> May be we need a Magazine or Paper supporting Usenet, like Net Guide, how about a Usenet guide, all
    >> the People that I know that use the Internet no Nothing at all about Usenet..?

    >Good. If you think there is a need, go start such a magazine.
    >

    >> Articles about Internet in Magazine, Radio and TV here, never mention Usenet..

    >If you think there is a need, you go write an article.
    >

    >> Some thing needs to be done for we totally loose it here..

    Tell me why do you post such Tripe..?

    Ken , May 13, 2007
  18. In article <4646e5eb$>, Jonathan Walker <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 13 May 2007 21:26:23 +1200, Bobs wrote:
    >
    >> Usenet is dying and will die. Text only groups don't really make sense in
    >> a high bandwidth environment. I like usenet, and prefer it to forums, but
    >> most people have never heard of it.

    >Alas I agree with all the above. :eek:(

    ... which is a pity as forums require registering (from the ones I've seen).
    I sure won't be doing that. Neither are they general in any way (ie one
    forum per site ... a big minus to information sharing IMO. Maybe it's part
    of the microsoft plot to control content ? :) :)

    Use it or lose it.

    ... and as an aside, crossposting is a good way to lose it IMO. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 14, 2007
  19. Ken

    Kent Smith Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "ttb" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Forums seem to be the way of the future. I reckon they're crap theres
    >> always a log of garbage onscreen (pictures, emoticons, ads, etc...)
    >> usenet is simple fast and efficient. Hardly anyone I know has heard
    >> of usenet either... sigh

    > Ive been using Usenet for quite sometime, and yeah, the number AND
    > quality of posts has fallen a lot in the past few years.
    >
    > I run forums off my site but theres only a small number of regulars -
    > the net is flooded with forums since anyone can run one.

    It the registering that annoys me. Often I see forums where someone has
    posted a problem I know the answer to, I attempt to answer and they want you
    to sign up. Can't be bothered so I leave. Fair enough to prevent spamming
    but now most have the visual character verification thing I can't see the
    point of enforcing registration.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, May 14, 2007
  20. Ken

    TarlaStar Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 May 2007 21:26:23 +1200, Bobs wrote:
    >

    >>Usenet is dying and will die. Text only groups don't really make sense in
    >>a high bandwidth environment. I like usenet, and prefer it to forums, but
    >>most people have never heard of it.

    > Alas I agree with all the above. :eek:(

    So, do we want to fix it?

    TarlaStar, May 14, 2007