    Using a Ext U.S Robotics modem..

    This afternoon could not connect at all, and even got line busy reports.

    , Jul 17, 2006

  2. Jo Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > This afternoon could not connect at all, and even got line busy reports.

    That pretty much sums it up

    Jo, Jul 17, 2006

  3. Vista Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > 3 or 4 Times to connect, most of the times takes 2 dialup attempts, plus
    > get
    > receive errors.
    >
    > OK with another ISP, connect first time, every time and no Rec errors..
    >

    > Using a Ext U.S Robotics modem..
    >
    > This afternoon could not connect at all, and even got line busy reports.

    My fried uses telstra for everything including TV phone and internet, and
    has constant problems with dialup connecting. Unfortionately if they switch
    internet providers their price for everything will go up.

    Vista, Jul 17, 2006
  4. Steve B Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:56:00 +1200, "Vista" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>

    >> 3 or 4 Times to connect, most of the times takes 2 dialup attempts, plus
    >> get
    >> receive errors.
    >>
    >> OK with another ISP, connect first time, every time and no Rec errors..
    >>

    >> Using a Ext U.S Robotics modem..
    >>
    >> This afternoon could not connect at all, and even got line busy reports.
    >>

    >My fried uses telstra for everything including TV phone and internet, and
    >has constant problems with dialup connecting. Unfortionately if they switch
    >internet providers their price for everything will go up.

    I too "use them for everything", but my internet comes via cable, like
    the TV. Surely your friend doesn't have dial-up TV? If you use cable
    for TV where's the sense in having dial-up internet?

    I must say I have had few problems, apart from their cutting the cable
    the other week (allegedly intentionally) while clearing a landslip at
    Petone.

    Try upgrading to cable. It won't cost that much extra, surely?

    Steve B.

    Steve B, Jul 18, 2006
  5. Daniel Guest

    Steve B wrote:

    > I too "use them for everything", but my internet comes via cable, like
    > the TV. Surely your friend doesn't have dial-up TV? If you use cable
    > for TV where's the sense in having dial-up internet?
    >
    > I must say I have had few problems, apart from their cutting the cable
    > the other week (allegedly intentionally) while clearing a landslip at
    > Petone.
    >
    > Try upgrading to cable. It won't cost that much extra, surely?
    >
    > Steve B.

    Well, I'm guessing if Roger started posting using a cable connection
    (which I believe he already has in any event) then it would be _very_
    easy to create filter for him since the IP is static.

    With dial-up he maintains some degree of anonymity. However, I suspect
    he does post using his cable connection, but, the persona he uses
    doesn't give him away.

    Daniel, Jul 18, 2006
  6. Jo Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message

    > With dial-up he maintains some degree of anonymity. However, I suspect he
    > does post using his cable connection, but, the persona he uses doesn't
    > give him away.

    What a waste of time and money.

    For us cable is actually cheaper, the cost is offset by 3 days worth of
    oncall allowance. If we had dialup we would need a second line and would
    have to do things like frequent our offices more often.

    Jo, Jul 19, 2006
  7. Stu Fleming Guest

    Steve B wrote:

    > I must say I have had few problems, apart from their cutting the cable
    > the other week (allegedly intentionally) while clearing a landslip at
    > Petone.

    Any detail on the motive for delibeately cutting their own cable?

    Stu Fleming, Jul 19, 2006
  8. Jo Guest

    "Stu Fleming" <> wrote in message
    > Steve B wrote:
    >
    >> I must say I have had few problems, apart from their cutting the cable
    >> the other week (allegedly intentionally) while clearing a landslip at
    >> Petone.

    > Any detail on the motive for delibeately cutting their own cable?

    At the request of emergency services, a safety measure apparently.

    Jo, Jul 21, 2006