    adorama ... and guess what ... they are closed too.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 17, 2006

  2. (Thomas T. Veldhouse) wrote:

    > What is with these camera stores and shutting down
    > for religeous holiday's?

    Yea, who needs a day off anyway! Who do these people think they are?

    Andrew McP
    Andrew MacPherson, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Beck Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic, but I am rather
    > irritated. What is with these camera stores and shutting down for
    > religeous holiday's? Isn't it possible to hire staff that isn't
    > Jewish so that they can keep business going? I just placed a
    > significant order with them, and the ONLY reason they got my business
    > was past history and the fact that I wasn't able to find what I was
    > looking for elsewhere while they were closed. I find it irritating
    > how often I go to there site just to see that they are not accepting
    > orders due to the observance of some holiday or another, in this
    > case, passover. I would feel better about it if the holiday was
    > widely observed in some form by all religeons or non-religeons for
    > that fact (Christmas tends to be observered in some form by
    > non-Christians ... meaning that it is not simply a religeous holiday
    > these days).
    >
    > So ... in short, are there any comparable camera stores that remain
    > open a larger majority of the time? The only really comparable store
    > I have found is adorama ... and guess what ... they are closed too.

    Perhaps all stores should break with traditions just so you can shop.
    Beck, Apr 17, 2006
  4. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <444390a3$0$717$>,
    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:

    > I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic, but I am rather irritated.
    > What is with these camera stores and shutting down for religeous holiday's?

    Open your own store, and you can decide what schedule you want to keep.
    Sounds like selling camera equipment on Jewish holidays is a market niche
    just waiting for some enterprising person to come along and take advantage
    of.

    I grew up in Northern NJ. Most of the stores were closed on Sundays (and
    those that were open had certain sections roped off) because of (Christian)
    blue laws. Which is better, having the store owner keeping what you
    consider a weird schedule because of his own free will, or having the
    government mandate what days you can be open because it fits their idea of
    what's right?
    Roy Smith, Apr 17, 2006
  5. Andrew MacPherson <> wrote:
    > (Thomas T. Veldhouse) wrote:
    >
    >> What is with these camera stores and shutting down
    >> for religeous holiday's?

    > Yea, who needs a day off anyway! Who do these people think they are?

    We aren't talking "a day" here. We are talking 9 days straight.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 17, 2006
  6. Roy Smith <> wrote:
    > In article <444390a3$0$717$>,
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic, but I am rather irritated.
    >> What is with these camera stores and shutting down for religeous holiday's?

    > Open your own store, and you can decide what schedule you want to keep.
    > Sounds like selling camera equipment on Jewish holidays is a market niche
    > just waiting for some enterprising person to come along and take advantage
    > of.
    >
    > I grew up in Northern NJ. Most of the stores were closed on Sundays (and
    > those that were open had certain sections roped off) because of (Christian)
    > blue laws. Which is better, having the store owner keeping what you
    > consider a weird schedule because of his own free will, or having the
    > government mandate what days you can be open because it fits their idea of
    > what's right?

    The cases you describe are a day or two. I believe the current observance is
    nine straight days in duration. I have no problem with observing the holday;
    be my guest. However, I do have a problem with closing down business
    [non-religeous] based upon religeous reasons, for such a duration of time.
    Surely there is a way they can continue to do business without compromising
    their faith? Still, my first paragraph in the post was a description of my
    frustration with it, which there is nothing wrong with feeling. My second
    paragraph specifically asked if there is an equivalent alternative (comparable
    in price and selection) that I might visit. I haven't been able to find one.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 17, 2006
  7. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Beck Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

    > The cases you describe are a day or two. I believe the current
    > observance is nine straight days in duration. I have no problem with
    > observing the holday; be my guest. However, I do have a problem with
    > closing down business [non-religeous] based upon religeous reasons,
    > for such a duration of time. Surely there is a way they can continue
    > to do business without compromising their faith? Still, my first
    > paragraph in the post was a description of my frustration with it,
    > which there is nothing wrong with feeling. My second paragraph
    > specifically asked if there is an equivalent alternative (comparable
    > in price and selection) that I might visit. I haven't been able to
    > find one.

    If they want to close for 9 days straight and lose the business they may
    have gained, that is up to them. It is their business after all.
    Providing they do not take orders for that duration and they complete all
    orders prior to the 9 days off then thats okay.
    Beck, Apr 17, 2006
  8. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Charlie Self Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > Roy Smith <> wrote:
    > > In article <444390a3$0$717$>,
    > > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic, but I am rather irritated.
    > >> What is with these camera stores and shutting down for religeous holiday's?

    > > Open your own store, and you can decide what schedule you want to keep.
    > > Sounds like selling camera equipment on Jewish holidays is a market niche
    > > just waiting for some enterprising person to come along and take advantage
    > > of.
    > >
    > > I grew up in Northern NJ. Most of the stores were closed on Sundays (and
    > > those that were open had certain sections roped off) because of (Christian)
    > > blue laws. Which is better, having the store owner keeping what you
    > > consider a weird schedule because of his own free will, or having the
    > > government mandate what days you can be open because it fits their idea of
    > > what's right?

    > The cases you describe are a day or two. I believe the current observance is
    > nine straight days in duration. I have no problem with observing the holday;
    > be my guest. However, I do have a problem with closing down business
    > [non-religeous] based upon religeous reasons, for such a duration of time.
    > Surely there is a way they can continue to do business without compromising
    > their faith? Still, my first paragraph in the post was a description of my
    > frustration with it, which there is nothing wrong with feeling. My second
    > paragraph specifically asked if there is an equivalent alternative (comparable
    > in price and selection) that I might visit. I haven't been able to find one.

    There are a few out there who are open on Jewish holidays. Keep
    searching. You might actually find one that is comparable in
    reputation. Or not.

    The business may be unrelated to religion, but the business owners'
    religious observances prevent them doing business, and, I believe,
    making money, during that period of time.

    Somehow, the major NYC photo gear stores seem to keep on going even
    though some impatient customers get annoyed. Read the past comments on
    breadth of line, honest pricing and wonderful customer service to get
    an idea why. Taking a few days off in one lump is not really much
    different than factories shutting down for two weeks when all employees
    must take their vacations. I don't know how B&H and Adorama and others
    work their vacation and holiday time, whether or not this is enforced
    vacation time, or simply a religious observance that the owner is
    willing to pay for, but it doesn't really seem to harm their business
    at all, and it shouldn't, IMO.
    Charlie Self, Apr 17, 2006
  9. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    BJ in Texas Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse <> wrote:
    || Andrew MacPherson <> wrote:
    ||| Yea, who needs a day off anyway! Who do these people think
    ||| they are?
    || We aren't talking "a day" here. We are talking 9 days
    || straight.

    It is the business owner's perogative to determine when he will
    and will not be open for business. If a particular business
    owner's determination of how and when he does business
    does not fit your convinience, take your business elsewhere.
    To complain in this newsgroup about the owner's observance
    of his religious beliefs and how he chooses to observe them
    is not productive.

    BJ
    Read: http://home.swbell.net/bjtexas/SS/

    "There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make
    a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who
    consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -- John Ruskin
    (1819-1900)
    BJ in Texas, Apr 17, 2006
  10. Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

    > I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic

    > in this case, passover. I would feel better about it if the holiday
    > was widely observed

    It's funny how these two phrases don't go together at all.
    Eric Schreiber, Apr 17, 2006
  11. Per Thomas T. Veldhouse:
    >What is with these camera stores and shutting down for religeous holiday's?

    Seems like there was a rather long/heated thread on this back in late December.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Apr 17, 2006
  12. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    js Guest

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote in message

    > I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic, but I am rather irritated.
    > What is with these camera stores and shutting down for religeous
    > holiday's?

    Hah hah! Tough luck, bubba. Welcome to cultural diversity. PLAN AHEAD.
    js, Apr 17, 2006
  13. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    js Guest

    "Roy Smith" <> wrote in message
    > [...] Which is better, having the store owner keeping what you
    > consider a weird schedule because of his own free will, or having the
    > government mandate what days you can be open because it fits their idea of
    > what's right?

    ZING! That's going to leave a mark!
    js, Apr 17, 2006
  14. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    > The cases you describe are a day or two. I believe the current observance
    > is
    > nine straight days in duration. I have no problem with observing the
    > holday;
    > be my guest. However, I do have a problem with closing down business
    > [non-religeous] based upon religeous reasons, for such a duration of time.

    If old B&H's business hasn't gone into the toilet for this yet, then you are
    just pissing upwind. Sucks when someone is that good, eh? Cultural Diversity
    and commercial success all in one. Very cool, IMHO.
    js, Apr 17, 2006
  15. BJ in Texas <> wrote:

    > It is the business owner's perogative to determine when he will
    > and will not be open for business. If a particular business
    > owner's determination of how and when he does business
    > does not fit your convinience, take your business elsewhere.
    > To complain in this newsgroup about the owner's observance
    > of his religious beliefs and how he chooses to observe them
    > is not productive.

    I agree. It is also my perogative, as a customer, to be irritated about it.
    My second paragraph explicitly asked for and "equivalent" alternative for my
    shopping with comparable pricing and supply. I haven't been able to find such
    a place. If I had the capital to get in the market and start such a business,
    I might consider it, but I do not.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 17, 2006
  16. Beck <> wrote:
    > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    >
    >> The cases you describe are a day or two. I believe the current
    >> observance is nine straight days in duration. I have no problem with
    >> observing the holday; be my guest. However, I do have a problem with
    >> closing down business [non-religeous] based upon religeous reasons,
    >> for such a duration of time. Surely there is a way they can continue
    >> to do business without compromising their faith? Still, my first
    >> paragraph in the post was a description of my frustration with it,
    >> which there is nothing wrong with feeling. My second paragraph
    >> specifically asked if there is an equivalent alternative (comparable
    >> in price and selection) that I might visit. I haven't been able to
    >> find one.

    > If they want to close for 9 days straight and lose the business they may
    > have gained, that is up to them. It is their business after all.
    > Providing they do not take orders for that duration and they complete all
    > orders prior to the 9 days off then thats okay.

    I am not disagreeing with you. But, I also have a right and justification to
    feel irritated by this, right? I asked for an alternative, but I haven't seen
    one. Is there a reasonable alternative out there that fills the gap during
    these frequent holidy shutdowns?

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 17, 2006
  17. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Mark² Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic, but I am rather
    > irritated. What is with these camera stores and shutting down for
    > religeous holiday's? Isn't it possible to hire staff that isn't
    > Jewish so that they can keep business going? I just placed a
    > significant order with them, and the ONLY reason they got my business
    > was past history and the fact that I wasn't able to find what I was
    > looking for elsewhere while they were closed. I find it irritating
    > how often I go to there site just to see that they are not accepting
    > orders due to the observance of some holiday or another, in this
    > case, passover. I would feel better about it if the holiday was
    > widely observed in some form by all religeons or non-religeons for
    > that fact (Christmas tends to be observered in some form by
    > non-Christians ... meaning that it is not simply a religeous holiday
    > these days).
    >
    > So ... in short, are there any comparable camera stores that remain
    > open a larger majority of the time? The only really comparable store
    > I have found is adorama ... and guess what ... they are closed too.

    Their beliefs are more important to them than the money they lose during
    their observances.
    I don't have a problem with that...do you?
    Mark², Apr 17, 2006
  18. Eric Schreiber <eric at ericschreiber dot com> wrote:
    > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    >
    >> I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic

    >> in this case, passover. I would feel better about it if the holiday
    >> was widely observed

    > It's funny how these two phrases don't go together at all.

    How is indicating that I am irritated that I can't place an order because the
    store is closed during passover be considered anti-semetic. I prefaced my
    statement the way I did to make a point of the fact that I do NOT have problem
    with religeous observance, but I do have a problem (said irritation) that
    their store is not open for 9 days and I would like to shop there. It is
    their perogative not to open and it is my perogative to find a place that is.
    My problem is that I can't find such a comparable place.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 17, 2006
  19. "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:
    > Per Thomas T. Veldhouse:
    >>What is with these camera stores and shutting down for religeous holiday's?

    > Seems like there was a rather long/heated thread on this back in late December.

    Hmm ... I don't recall that. I should go take a look. Anyway, to clarify, my
    issue is not with a day or two of store closing, but 9 days is a pretty long
    time in my opinion. How long were they close in December?

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 17, 2006
  20. js <> wrote:
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I do not want to sound racist or anti-semetic, but I am rather irritated.
    >> What is with these camera stores and shutting down for religeous
    >> holiday's?

    > Hah hah! Tough luck, bubba. Welcome to cultural diversity. PLAN AHEAD.

    Did I write anything that was racist or anti-semetic? I specifically have
    indicated the problem is mine ... and that problem is that I am irritated, and
    frustrated with a seemingly lack of a viable alternative (based upon price and
    selection). B&H Photo and Adorama are GREAT stores and I will continue to
    shop with them, but that doesn't mean that I am not irritated with the
    duration of their closing.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 17, 2006