    an existing installation as Windows XP 64-Bit edition? What are the
    advantages of Windows XP 64-Bit edition?

    Shafiee.
    shafiee, Jun 15, 2005

  2. See:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Jun 15, 2005

  3. "shafiee" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what Windows XP 64-Bit edition is.... and how to
    > identify an existing installation as Windows XP 64-Bit edition? What are
    > the advantages of Windows XP 64-Bit edition?
    >
    > Shafiee.

    Windows XP 64-bit Edition is the now discontinued version of Windows XP
    Professional for the Intel Itanium processor (also known as IA-64).
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/xp64ovw.mspx

    This should not be confused with the new 64bit version of Windows XP for the
    x64 class of processors (the AMD64 and Intel with EM64T processors).

    The correct names for these products are

    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition - for x64 (AMD64/Intel with EM64T)
    Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003 - for IA-64 (Intel Itanium)

    To tell if you have the Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003 product you
    can see this on the System Properties in Control Panel. You will notice
    that the PC cost significantly more then a x86 (32-bit) PC - actually a
    couple of thousand dollars.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 15, 2005
  4. shafiee

    roman modic Guest

    Hello,

    "shafiee" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me what Windows XP 64-Bit edition is.... and how to
    > identify an existing installation as Windows XP 64-Bit edition? What are
    > the advantages of Windows XP 64-Bit edition?

    Windows Sixty Four:
    http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20050426_windows_sixty_four.html

    BTW, I think that if you run 'winver' or go to properties of "(My)
    Computer",
    it will tell you which version is installed:
    http://www.extended64.com/forums/96/ShowPost.x64

    Roman
    roman modic, Jun 15, 2005
  5. I'll look into it.
    Joseph Conway [MSFT], Jun 15, 2005
  6. shafiee

    John Barnes Guest

    Look at the Windows splash screen when it starts up. Says X64. Others can
    tell you their ideas of the advantages. If you bought a new computer with
    x64 installed you should be okay with what it was delivered with. Be aware
    there is lack of support for drivers for some hardware you have on another
    system and there are virtually no programs written for it. I don't know if
    Microsoft even has a designation to be displayed for supported programs. I
    haven't seen any and have had a number of programs I found out refer to
    64-bit processor but must be installed on an x86 system. Good luck as a lot
    of people either dual boot or switch back to x86. I'm sure I will receive
    ad hominem attacks for the advice, but read the posts. Even Christian who
    attacks me for pointing out the potential problems obviously has dual boot
    on at least one of his systems though one of his posts slamming me said he
    used x64 at home and the office. Hopefully Microsoft will eventually have a
    place where you can find compatible hardware like they did for XP.
    Software, too needs some unique designator from Microsoft.

    John Barnes, Jun 15, 2005
  7. Shafiee, if you want a 64 bit enabled Windows, you need Windows XP
    Professional x64 edition, Windows XP 64 Bit is for Itanium systems and have
    been discontinued since February of 2005. Remember, look for x64 when
    purchasing your processor and the operating system.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 15, 2005
  8. shafiee

    Peter Lawton Guest

    WSUS tells me my Win XP Pro x64 machine is running "Windows Server 2003 x64
    Edition", I don't think all of Microsoft have quite got their heads round
    x64 yet

    Peter Lawton

    "Juan Jansen" <> wrote in message
    > The correct names for these products are
    >
    > Windows XP Professional x64 Edition - for x64 (AMD64/Intel with EM64T)
    > Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003 - for IA-64 (Intel Itanium)

    Then why is Windows Update on x64 reporting this...? Incorrect name!!! Could
    you try to get this fixed Mike?

    Greetings,

    Juan Jansen
    Peter Lawton, Jun 15, 2005
  9. That is because both Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition are built on the same code base, Windows Server
    2003 SP1.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 15, 2005
  10. shafiee

    Peter Lawton Guest

    They might be the same code base, but the WSUS patches aren't the same for
    both products, they release separate patches for W2003 x64 and XP x64, so
    it's strange that WSUS management can't tell the difference, here's an
    example:-

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Jun 15, 2005
  11. Well, that would make sense, since the patches that presented are based on
    the components of the OS. Meaning, if a patch is suppose to be applied for
    Windows Movie Maker in XP Pro x64 then you would be able to understand that
    the update is referring to Windows XP Pro x64 since MovieMaker does not come
    bundled with Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 16, 2005