What is Windows Journal Viewer?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by All Things Mopar, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. I just upgraded to Adobe Acrobat Viewer 7.0. During install,
    Acrobat tried - very hard - to install something to do with
    Windows Journal Reader.

    I have no clue as to what this is. I can only surmise that
    there's capability in Journal Reader that Acrobat can use.

    Now, for the problem: I don't have Journal Reader but it took
    /many/, attempts at cancelling the attempted install, including
    killing the Acrobat install through Task Manager before I could
    get a successful install.

    Then, the first time I tried to use Acrobat Reader, MS tried -
    again - to install Journal Reader. It failed, of course. And,
    again, I had to try /very/ hard to kill the attempted install.
    Eventually, the installer gave up and I can apparently now use
    Acrobat. Boy, these M$ people are /really/ tenacious, aren't
    they?

    I think I'm OK now, but what the dickens is Journal Viewer and
    how do I avoid this install nightmare the next time I try to
    update Acrobat Reader?

    Thanks.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Jul 12, 2005

  2. All Things Mopar

    02befree Guest

    Google it

    02befree, Jul 12, 2005

  3. All Things Mopar

    Vanguard Guest

    "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    >I just upgraded to Adobe Acrobat Viewer 7.0. During install,
    > Acrobat tried - very hard - to install something to do with
    > Windows Journal Reader.
    >
    > I have no clue as to what this is. I can only surmise that
    > there's capability in Journal Reader that Acrobat can use.
    >
    > Now, for the problem: I don't have Journal Reader but it took
    > /many/, attempts at cancelling the attempted install, including
    > killing the Acrobat install through Task Manager before I could
    > get a successful install.
    >
    > Then, the first time I tried to use Acrobat Reader, MS tried -
    > again - to install Journal Reader. It failed, of course. And,
    > again, I had to try /very/ hard to kill the attempted install.
    > Eventually, the installer gave up and I can apparently now use
    > Acrobat. Boy, these M$ people are /really/ tenacious, aren't
    > they?
    >
    > I think I'm OK now, but what the dickens is Journal Viewer and
    > how do I avoid this install nightmare the next time I try to
    > update Acrobat Reader?

    It is to read documents that were handwritten (using a pointer pen) on a
    tablet PC that you get on your desktop PC. You don't need it if you
    never get those kinds of documents.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816091
    http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/wisptis/index.php

    Vanguard, Jul 12, 2005
  4. On this date, 02befree extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...

    > Google it

    Good advice. Found this:

    http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329118.html

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Jul 12, 2005
  5. On this date, Vanguard extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...

    > "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in
    > message news:Xns9690D8012D817ReplyToken@216.196.97.136...
    >>I just upgraded to Adobe Acrobat Viewer 7.0. During
    >>install,
    >> Acrobat tried - very hard - to install something to do
    >> with Windows Journal Reader.
    >>
    >> I have no clue as to what this is. I can only surmise that
    >> there's capability in Journal Reader that Acrobat can use.
    >>
    >> Now, for the problem: I don't have Journal Reader but it
    >> took /many/, attempts at cancelling the attempted install,
    >> including killing the Acrobat install through Task Manager
    >> before I could get a successful install.
    >>
    >> Then, the first time I tried to use Acrobat Reader, MS
    >> tried - again - to install Journal Reader. It failed, of
    >> course. And, again, I had to try /very/ hard to kill the
    >> attempted install. Eventually, the installer gave up and I
    >> can apparently now use Acrobat. Boy, these M$ people are
    >> /really/ tenacious, aren't they?
    >>
    >> I think I'm OK now, but what the dickens is Journal Viewer
    >> and how do I avoid this install nightmare the next time I
    >> try to update Acrobat Reader?

    > It is to read documents that were handwritten (using a
    > pointer pen) on a tablet PC that you get on your desktop
    > PC. You don't need it if you never get those kinds of
    > documents.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816091
    > http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/wisptis/index.
    > php

    Thanks.

    From 02bfree, I Googled for Journal Viewer (didn't think of
    that right away) and came up with something from /Adobe's/ KB!
    I guess they must get lots of complaints about this. Per the
    Adobe KB article, the "solution" is to go to Control Panel>
    Add/Remove Programs and remove Journal Viewer, which is what I
    did.

    I just wish that M$ apps/utilites/OS's weren't so tenacious
    when people say "cancel"!

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Jul 12, 2005
  6. All Things Mopar

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:14:00 -0500, All Things Mopar <> wrote:

    >I just upgraded to Adobe Acrobat Viewer 7.0. During install,
    >Acrobat tried - very hard - to install something to do with
    >Windows Journal Reader.
    >
    >I have no clue as to what this is. I can only surmise that
    >there's capability in Journal Reader that Acrobat can use.
    >
    >Now, for the problem: I don't have Journal Reader but it took
    >/many/, attempts at cancelling the attempted install, including
    >killing the Acrobat install through Task Manager before I could
    >get a successful install.
    >
    >Then, the first time I tried to use Acrobat Reader, MS tried -
    >again - to install Journal Reader. It failed, of course. And,
    >again, I had to try /very/ hard to kill the attempted install.
    >Eventually, the installer gave up and I can apparently now use
    >Acrobat. Boy, these M$ people are /really/ tenacious, aren't
    >they?
    >
    >I think I'm OK now, but what the dickens is Journal Viewer and
    >how do I avoid this install nightmare the next time I try to
    >update Acrobat Reader?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Microsoft Windows Journal is used to take notes in your own handwriting.
    Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer is used to, well, view those files.
    WJV file types - Notes: "whatever.jnt", and Template files: "whatever.jtp"

    It's no big deal installing it; Less than 2 Meg....

    Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/default.mspx

    Getting to Know Windows Journal for Tablet PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/tabletpc/russel_03january20.mspx

    Create and Use Forms in Journal
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/tabletpc/learnmore/filloutforms.mspx

    Download Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer 1.5 (Freeware)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...98-8b73-4e06-96d4-d1eb70eacb44&DisplayLang=en

    Unk, Jul 12, 2005
  7. On this date, Unk extended this wisdom for the consideration
    of other readers...

    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:14:00 -0500, All Things Mopar
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I just upgraded to Adobe Acrobat Viewer 7.0. During
    >>install, Acrobat tried - very hard - to install something
    >>to do with Windows Journal Reader.
    >>
    >>I have no clue as to what this is. I can only surmise that
    >>there's capability in Journal Reader that Acrobat can use.
    >>
    >>Now, for the problem: I don't have Journal Reader but it
    >>took /many/, attempts at cancelling the attempted install,
    >>including killing the Acrobat install through Task Manager
    >>before I could get a successful install.
    >>
    >>Then, the first time I tried to use Acrobat Reader, MS
    >>tried - again - to install Journal Reader. It failed, of
    >>course. And, again, I had to try /very/ hard to kill the
    >>attempted install. Eventually, the installer gave up and I
    >>can apparently now use Acrobat. Boy, these M$ people are
    >>/really/ tenacious, aren't they?
    >>
    >>I think I'm OK now, but what the dickens is Journal Viewer
    >>and how do I avoid this install nightmare the next time I
    >>try to update Acrobat Reader?
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    > Microsoft Windows Journal is used to take notes in your own
    > handwriting. Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer is used to,
    > well, view those files. WJV file types - Notes:
    > "whatever.jnt", and Template files: "whatever.jtp"
    >
    > It's no big deal installing it; Less than 2 Meg....
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/default.mspx
    >
    > Getting to Know Windows Journal for Tablet PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/tabletpc/russel_03j
    > anuary20.mspx
    >
    > Create and Use Forms in Journal
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/tabletpc/learnmore/
    > filloutforms.mspx
    >
    > Download Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer 1.5 (Freeware)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fad
    > 44098-8b73-4e06-96d4-d1eb70eacb44&DisplayLang=en

    That's cool but why would anyone want it that doesn't do
    handwriting? And, why is the *?!~ M$ so damn obnoxious about
    not canceling when told to?

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Jul 12, 2005
  8. All Things Mopar

    Vanguard Guest

    > On this date, Vanguard extended this wisdom for the
    > consideration of other readers...
    >
    >> "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in
    >> message news:Xns9690D8012D817ReplyToken@216.196.97.136...
    >>>I just upgraded to Adobe Acrobat Viewer 7.0. During
    >>>install,
    >>> Acrobat tried - very hard - to install something to do
    >>> with Windows Journal Reader.
    >>>
    >>> I have no clue as to what this is. I can only surmise that
    >>> there's capability in Journal Reader that Acrobat can use.
    >>>
    >>> Now, for the problem: I don't have Journal Reader but it
    >>> took /many/, attempts at cancelling the attempted install,
    >>> including killing the Acrobat install through Task Manager
    >>> before I could get a successful install.
    >>>
    >>> Then, the first time I tried to use Acrobat Reader, MS
    >>> tried - again - to install Journal Reader. It failed, of
    >>> course. And, again, I had to try /very/ hard to kill the
    >>> attempted install. Eventually, the installer gave up and I
    >>> can apparently now use Acrobat. Boy, these M$ people are
    >>> /really/ tenacious, aren't they?
    >>>
    >>> I think I'm OK now, but what the dickens is Journal Viewer
    >>> and how do I avoid this install nightmare the next time I
    >>> try to update Acrobat Reader?

    >> It is to read documents that were handwritten (using a
    >> pointer pen) on a tablet PC that you get on your desktop
    >> PC. You don't need it if you never get those kinds of
    >> documents.
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816091
    >> http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/wisptis/index.
    >> php

    > Thanks.
    >
    > From 02bfree, I Googled for Journal Viewer (didn't think of
    > that right away) and came up with something from /Adobe's/ KB!
    > I guess they must get lots of complaints about this. Per the
    > Adobe KB article, the "solution" is to go to Control Panel>
    > Add/Remove Programs and remove Journal Viewer, which is what I
    > did.
    >
    > I just wish that M$ apps/utilites/OS's weren't so tenacious
    > when people say "cancel"!

    From your description, it wasn't Microsoft that was trying to install
    their Journal Viewer. It was a flawed install procedure from Adobe that
    screws up when a secondary installer gets started from the Adobe
    install. I've had the Journal Viewer included with several products and
    was even offered, for awhile, as one of the updates from Windows Update.
    Did not have a problem NOT selecting to install it nor a problem
    uninstalling it (when it was bundled with other software that didn't ask
    me about it).

    Vanguard, Jul 12, 2005
  9. All Things Mopar

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:58:07 -0500, All Things Mopar <> wrote:

    >On this date, Unk extended this wisdom for the consideration
    >of other readers...
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:14:00 -0500, All Things Mopar
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just upgraded to Adobe Acrobat Viewer 7.0. During
    >>>install, Acrobat tried - very hard - to install something
    >>>to do with Windows Journal Reader.
    >>>
    >>>I have no clue as to what this is. I can only surmise that
    >>>there's capability in Journal Reader that Acrobat can use.
    >>>
    >>>Now, for the problem: I don't have Journal Reader but it
    >>>took /many/, attempts at cancelling the attempted install,
    >>>including killing the Acrobat install through Task Manager
    >>>before I could get a successful install.
    >>>
    >>>Then, the first time I tried to use Acrobat Reader, MS
    >>>tried - again - to install Journal Reader. It failed, of
    >>>course. And, again, I had to try /very/ hard to kill the
    >>>attempted install. Eventually, the installer gave up and I
    >>>can apparently now use Acrobat. Boy, these M$ people are
    >>>/really/ tenacious, aren't they?
    >>>
    >>>I think I'm OK now, but what the dickens is Journal Viewer
    >>>and how do I avoid this install nightmare the next time I
    >>>try to update Acrobat Reader?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.

    >> Microsoft Windows Journal is used to take notes in your own
    >> handwriting. Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer is used to,
    >> well, view those files. WJV file types - Notes:
    >> "whatever.jnt", and Template files: "whatever.jtp"
    >>
    >> It's no big deal installing it; Less than 2 Meg....
    >>
    >> Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/default.mspx
    >>
    >> Getting to Know Windows Journal for Tablet PC
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/tabletpc/russel_03j
    >> anuary20.mspx
    >>
    >> Create and Use Forms in Journal
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/tabletpc/learnmore/
    >> filloutforms.mspx
    >>
    >> Download Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer 1.5 (Freeware)
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fad
    >> 44098-8b73-4e06-96d4-d1eb70eacb44&DisplayLang=en
    >>

    >That's cool but why would anyone want it that doesn't do
    >handwriting? And, why is the *?!~ M$ so damn obnoxious about
    >not canceling when told to?

    It was probably Adobe that was trying to install the Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer so that if
    any Adobe files incorporated Tablet documents, they could be displayed. The files are similar
    to text files.

    Unk, Jul 12, 2005
  10. All Things Mopar

    Dave Lear Guest

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windows journal viewer

    Dave Lear, Jul 15, 2005
  11. All Things Mopar

    Dave Lear Guest

    > That's cool but why would anyone want it that doesn't do
    > handwriting? And, why is the *?!~ M$ so damn obnoxious about
    > not canceling when told to?

    Imagine, if you will, that you have a friend / colleague who has a tablet-PC
    and creates a document by writing it using a stylus and saving it as an ink
    file. He then sends you the file. If you want to read what he wrote you need
    to be able to open the ink file, i.e. you need the Journal Viewer which is
    what lets you see the ink file.

    Dave Lear, Jul 15, 2005
  12. On this date, Dave Lear extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...

    >> That's cool but why would anyone want it that doesn't do
    >> handwriting? And, why is the *?!~ M$ so damn obnoxious
    >> about not canceling when told to?

    > Imagine, if you will, that you have a friend / colleague
    > who has a tablet-PC and creates a document by writing it
    > using a stylus and saving it as an ink file. He then sends
    > you the file. If you want to read what he wrote you need
    > to be able to open the ink file, i.e. you need the Journal
    > Viewer which is what lets you see the ink file.

    OK, but sorry, I don't know anybody with a laptop that wants to
    "type" in script, so I don't need Journal Viewer. And, I see
    /no/ reason why Adobe gets tangled up because M$ simply insists
    that Journal View be installed. Don't these imbeciles know the
    meaning of clicking on the Cancel button?

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Jul 15, 2005